Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 60

Author Topic: Prophets of the New God: most unfortunately dropped.  (Read 67360 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 55 - Fun Times In Dreamland
« Reply #525 on: May 22, 2013, 02:52:39 pm »

Turn 55 - Fun Times In Dreamland

Gronok, confronted with the oddly ogre-like though nonetheless blindingly luminous and transcendent visage of Mo'kar the Teacher, his guide and teacher in life, can't help but feel a bit embarrassed at not having recognized the Illuminator By Fire.

"Oh! Sorry I didn't recognize you; I was busy being the sky," he says, wondering why the moon tastes like star-butter mixed with earth-tears. It's probably an interesting story. Sadly, he, lacking any structure beyond a vague shape formed by a creative mind when looking at chaotic waves of soap bubbles, cannot quite comprehend what it might be. He does know one thing, though - the ending is quite underwhelming. Isn't it always? But wait! Is that a question flying out of the dying sun?

Why, it is! Wonder what it is?

"Just a question, lord. Why me? Why choose me?"

Mo'kar looks at the reasonable question with kindly, sweet eyes, giving it a pat on the head, then whispering in its air-ear. The question then goes to heaven, where all the good ones go.

"It's funnier that way."

Oh. That's okay, then.

"Ooh, look. The sky is in thrice half twister now," Gronok says, allowing the sky to lull him into the wondrous sleep of babes.

When he opens his eyes, the world is still spinning and the light is quite blinding. There is also quite a lot of pain.

"Oh, good. You're finally up."

Mo'kar? You're still here?

Phiali takes the silvery metal and tries to line the inside of the rotten old bucket with it.

[Craftsmanship roll: 2]

Sadly, bending metal with his bare hands is a skill Phiali has yet to master. Particularly with any degree of precision and usability.

Lars, confronted with a heretic, tries to convert him to the true ways of divinity!

"Sinner!  Throw down your weapons and renounce your false god!  Bow to the One True God or taste the flames!"

"Um, okay. I'm bowing before the One True God and all that."

He does it, too. Clearly he is one of the faithful. He even takes off the white robe, revealing rather reasonable-looking clothes underneath.

"Do I really have to throw down my sword, though? It would be easier to stab other, less intelligent guards while possessing it is all I'm saying. I could even hold a torch in the other hand. Then I'd be like some kind of divine commando or something."

Elizas decides that getting totally pissed does indeed take precedence over the nationwide religious revolution. God would want it that way.

"... Fine. Bartender, give me your strongest stuff!"

The barkeep, who was most certainly among the men quite moved by the song, kindly provides some sort of beverage.

"Free of charge for you, but be careful with it. Real strong stuff."

Elizas nods, opens the bottle and commences the chugging. The drink is a spirit of some kind, but Elizas hasn't drunk its like yet. Must be a local distillate.

This works in his favor, actually, as he is but a junior alcohol abuser and it takes him only about a quarter of the bottle to get as wasted as the day is long. After his final chug, he throws the bottle back to the bartender, then falls face-first on the floor.

He dreams of a crowded pub very much like the one he passed out in. In fact, it's actually the same pub, he'd say. He appears to be sitting at a table with three beautiful women and plenty of Azlippean wine. He takes a sip and chats the women up, and in but a short while they are quite taken with him. They seem to quite agree with his views on the obsolete nature of monogamy in today's enlightened society and how a good drink is truly a magnificent social tool without peer. They laugh at his jokes, look thoughtful when he shares his philosophical insights and respond positively to his flirtations. After a bit of conversation, all three of them agree to join him in his quarters for tonight for a more in-depth discussion, the euphemistic meaning of which one can easily gather.

Well, as they go about their business in the quarters, Elizas comes to a rather disturbing realization when he embraces one of the women. It appears that she is not a woman at all, but a simulacrum cleverly made of jagged and splintery wood! How terrible. Though highly uncomfortable and full of splinters, not to mention quite naked, Elizas decides that he should perk up. After all, he's got two others left. He embraces the second woman.

She, however, is made out of poisonous snakes. They proceed to bite, hiss and slither most unpleasantly, of which, surprisingly enough, the latter bothers Elizas the most. Then again, now he's got five minutes or so left to live, and the last two of those will be spent in horrible agony. With this in mind, he moves on to the last woman. However, as he is pressed for time, he'll have to skip the foreplay.

When the last woman turns out to be made of white-hot iron, Elizas wishes he had been bitten by the snakes a few more times, to put it mildly. Fortunately, the agonizing pain does a good job of knocking him out. He wakes up in a bit, still face-down on the tavern floor. Looking around, he notices that most of the people seem to have gone off to their rest, leaving behind only a few of the most seasoned drunks and the barkeep.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:48:04 pm by Harry Baldman »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 22, 2013, 03:36:51 pm »

Particularly with any degree of precision and usability that goes beyond .
That goes beyond what?

"Hm. Not aluminum or something so malleable...not sure why I would expect that, though."

Keep looking for bucket replacements or repairers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 22, 2013, 03:45:47 pm »

Urg.
Berries.
Drug berries?

Try to recover from hangover thing. Look around. Examine source of voice.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 22, 2013, 04:54:13 pm »

That goes beyond what?

Beyond something that I forgot to write and now corrected into appropriate nonexistence. Thank you for paying attention.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 22, 2013, 04:59:03 pm »

You are welcome.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 23, 2013, 12:48:32 pm »

Lars eyes the guard warily.  Then he nods

"Fine.  Go on ahead, then!  We'll be behind you."

Follow this dude out.  Keep an eye on him for treachery.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 23, 2013, 09:19:20 pm »

Elizas awoke from his slumber disappointed. No angry riots, bad messages in his dreams. He simply must find another group of people equally as hedonistic as the bar patrons, but more aggresive and capable. He gets an idea.

Elizas heads out the bar and tries to locate the nearest Robber's Den/Thieves Guild.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 56 - The Search For Organized Crime
« Reply #532 on: May 25, 2013, 06:21:55 pm »

Turn 56 - The Search For Organized Crime

Phiali, after musing loudly on the nature of the metal he has found, continues to look for help with his most distressing predicament.

Sadly, the area is pretty much a cute little corner of wasteland placed in the middle of a mostly wild forest. All in all, not the sort of place where you might expect help and actually get it. And there's no buckets he hasn't stolen yet either. What a drag this place is turning out to be.

Gronok, slowly trying to shake off his stupor, thinks about the visions he has received. He comes to the conclusion that they were probably a trip. And this is probably a hangover. A really, really bad hangover. His head hurts, his ears are ringing quite a lot and he seems to be having trouble seeing clearly.

He tries to get up, but his head spins him back down. He looks over at the voice of Mo'kar. It's a bit hard to see Him. It is the voice of God from his dreams, though. No doubt about that.

"You need help. I'll drag you to town."

Gronok stammers incomprehensibly as he is picked up by the arms and the dragging begins. It's a tad uncomfortable, but hey, Mo'kar could just as well not help him.

Lars, not really liking the looks of such an easy conversion, is cautious about the guard, nodding to him in a careful fashion.

"Fine.  Go on ahead, then!  We'll be behind you."

"Um, okay. Where?"

"Out."

"Alright, not a problem!"

He picks up his sword, then begins to lead the group back the way they came from, taking a shortcut occasionally.

"Okay, so... hang a right and..."

The group comes back out into the main hall. The mob seems to be doing well, starting rather nice fires with all the drapes available around here. Good for them.

Just then, a detachment of 4 armed guards burst in through one of the hallways, making a dramatic entrance over a raging bonfire! Naturally, they are still wearing their robes. Their unusually flammable robes.

[Kezilamite self-extinguishing rolls: 4, 6-->5, 1-->6, 2]

And only two of them are successful at extinguishing their respective flaming robes before the flames totally engulf them. The two less fortunate ones simply flail around ineffectually, suffering terrible burns. Even so, only one of the guards is quite ready to enter a defensive position. The other still seems to be a bit shaken.

Elizas, getting up from his less than comfortable position, realizes that he seems to be in a bit of a slump. Time to fix that. To the nearest organized crime facility he can think of! A Thieves' Guild! Yes!

As he walks down the street, he realizes that if organized crime does exist (and, as far as he knows, it does not), he's probably not going to find it by just wandering the streets or anything. Sure, there's thieves aplenty, but no sign of thieves' guilds. Or any robbers' dens with large, ornate signs pointing to them. Well, there is one sign that says "Thieves' Guild" on one of the buildings in one of the squares, but for some reason Elizas doesn't think it's strictly kosher. Maybe it's the fact that it actually has a sign. Other than that, nothing too obvious around.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 25, 2013, 06:26:56 pm »

Close eyes and attempt to compose myself as we enter town. Pray to Mo'kar for the knowledge of how long this will last.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 25, 2013, 10:26:47 pm »

Tricky.

Locate some sewing stuff and some large leaves. Sew a watertight leafy thing and put it inside the bucket. Put water in the bucket. See if it leaks.
Sig

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 26, 2013, 08:41:23 pm »

Elizas looks for a brothel instead.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 26, 2013, 11:02:22 pm »

"Slay the infidels!  See them burn!"

Slay the infidels!  See them burn.  Generally set things on fire.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 27, 2013, 12:35:48 am »

((Sorry for the delay. I thought about mentioning that I was going to be gone a few days, but with my usual habits I didn't think you'd notice. >_>))

Shashari put her hands on her hips, puffing out a bit.

"Hmph! Fair point, but how do you know this whatshername can control it either? Could've just been coincidence, or Ash'Mah doing something for his own reasons.

And why's this Hazutiim so secretive? He's saying oh we can't cross the water sprite just to follow the One True God but he's hiding in a tree? Awfully peculiar sense of priority, if you ask me. When is he going to come out or explain himself, if not now?"

Theology! Hazutiim!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 57 - Mo'kar's Journey
« Reply #538 on: May 28, 2013, 02:42:39 pm »

Turn 57 - Mo'kar's Journey

As he is dragged through the plains leading to the now-middling city of Lazalam, Gronok tries to compose himself. He would presumably be successful, were his mind not under the continuous assault of an annoying ringing noise from his ears. This is certainly unlike any hangover he's ever had. Better petition Mo'kar for aid on this matter, or who knows what sort of dire straits he could find himself in. It's not like he has to look far, either - fellow's right next to him, apparently. Or a mile away.

"Oh, powerful and wise Mo'kar, enlighten me as you drag me through the plains, how long... will this... um... what was I going to say? I'm sorry, Great Teacher, but I completely forgot what I was going to pray for. Sorry to bother you."

As he stares at the sky, Gronok feels slightly inadequate. Not to mention that he hears a slight booming and echoing from when he spoke. And when was that, he cannot say. It's all a tad muddled. What does happen is that he stops at one point. Or at least he thinks he stops.

"Open these gates, my apostle. My prophet suffers from a terrible malady, and he must be let through at once!"

"At once, Lord, no speaker of the truth may be turned away from these gates, so says the will of God."

"You are a credit to your faith, Gatekeeper. Now, regrettably, I must be on my way with my charge. Rejoice that Mo'kar the Teacher has passed through your gate, and remember to spread the word."

And with that, the ground quickly becomes altogether more stony while also remaining altogether unpleasant to be dragged around on. However, in the hands of God, Gronok knows he's safe. It only takes a moment for him to land on something soft.

"Now, sleep, my prophet. Sleep and gather strength for a new day."

Phiali, quite determined to fix the fiendish water bucket that may or may not have possibly been actually useful once, looks for some sewing supplies to add to his existing ones. Unfortunately, there aren't any around. Fortunately, he still has some of his own. Now for some leaves!

He locates and rips a great many reasonable-sized leaves from a tree, then begins to sew a watertight sleeve from them. In a few minutes, he is done. It's a bit of a rush job and it took all of his remaining thread, but it should work!

[Craftsmanship roll: 1-->1]

However, a quick test reveals that it really isn't. Leaks water quite a lot, this covering of his. The thread's completely knotted and buggered somehow, not to mention that the watertight qualities he wished for proved a bit more difficult to achieve with these particular leaves. Yep, it's all the fault of the leaves, says he, and he'll passive-aggressively reprimand (as he can't actually fight) any who say otherwise.

Elizas, not feeling that this Thieves' Guild business is worth checking into, goes looking for something more accessible and understandable to the common man - a brothel. Should be at least one in operation, right? Wouldn't make sense if there wasn't. After all, what would all those poor people do with their lives?

Fortunately, there certainly is one that he can see - it appears to be a bit expensive from the outside, has a touch of high-class atmosphere, and it smells of rather nice flowers and fine wine. All in all, he could have definitely done worse in his search. Going inside, his suspicions are confirmed to be quite correct - a nearly aristocratic level of refinement permeates the place. The women are unusually attractive, the patrons look fairly wealthy, the wine is several degrees nicer than at the Temptations of Azlippus and they even serve snacks that look pretty decent. Oh, and there's a garden from the looks of it. And some form of bath house.

Lars lays out his intricate battle plan to the assembled harbingers of change.

"Slay the infidels!  See them burn!"

The crowd seems pretty receptive to such a suggestion, and the single battle-ready guard finds himself being attacked by a full mob of riled-up torchbearers!

[God-Mob vs. Guards: 4+3 vs. 2]

Yeah, with fire behind them and fire in front of them, the guards didn't really stand a chance, did they? The ones who weren't burned become so in short order, then are summarily extinguished by a good round of old-fashioned trampling. They are rather finished, Lars would say.

However, just then, a loud voice comes from one of the other passages!

"Fire!"

Hey, that's Lars' line!

[Bow-Guards vs. God-Mob: 3+1+1 vs. 4+2-1]

Suddenly, seven arrows come flying at the mob! Unfortunately for the would-be attackers, the people of Kilnipom are a generally paranoid sort from their long association with Kezilam, so when they hear the word "Fire", they certainly know when that means a squad of archers and when it's merely priests having fun. They spread out along the room, avoiding the hail of arrows rather adequately.

Shashari, faced with an uncommunicative tree-dweller backed by a merely obstinate heathen of the more conventional kind, puts her hands on her hips and continues with some determined theology and provocation.

"Hmph! Fair point, but how do you know this whatshername can control it either? Could've just been coincidence, or Ash'Mah doing something for his own reasons."

"Well, yes, certainly. But it doesn't change the fact that I and Hazutiim have served the lady of the river our whole lives, and nothing bad has happened to us yet. At least, nothing river-related. And that one time I asked another traveler about what's happening elsewhere, he told me there was a flood recently! A flood of all things! Clearly they hadn't done what we did, you see. If they had, there wouldn't be a problem."

"And why's this Hazutiim so secretive? He's saying "oh, we can't cross the water sprite just to follow the One True God", but he's hiding in a tree? Awfully peculiar sense of priority, if you ask me. When is he going to come out or explain himself, if not now?"

"Oh, he isn't going to come out. He doesn't talk to strangers. Or heathens. Especially both. He's a bit inflexible that way, happens with age," the heathen says, making sure to lower his voice at the end.

"But anyway, tell me more of your god. What else does Ash'Mah do? And why is a young girl his prophet? Not to mention a woman-voiced man."

"Hey! I'm not a prophet. I'm a guide! And sort of faithful, I guess."

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:04:11 am by Harry Baldman »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 57 - Mo'kar's Journey
« Reply #539 on: May 28, 2013, 03:11:34 pm »

Gah. Look at Phiali. All the other prophets are debating with infedels, burning heretics, gathering disciples...Phiali has an unfinished quest to deal with a temple (somehow), ran into a hermit who doesn't care for gods or spirits, and now he's trying to fix a leaky bucket for reasons that I've mostly forgotten. But just you wait...the first fifty-odd turns were pathetic, but by Turn 100 Phiali will really have something! Unless he's dead or pathetic.

Grab some more big leaves. Put them along the weaknesses in the bucket-covering. Pour water in. If I get enough leaves in the bucket along the breaks, cohesion and adhesion will "glue" the leaves to the bucket with a watertight seal. (Sealed with water. Yeah, water is really weird, and that's not the half of it.)
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 60