Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New stuff happening!  (Read 7156 times)

Alanor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New stuff happening!
« on: June 19, 2001, 03:35:00 pm »

Lots of new stuff happening now that Tarn is out of PRISON!
hehe
 :cool:
There are lots of new updates in the news page, Tarn has done a lot of work with the combat system.. making stuff work right.

Tell us what you think guys.. What do we want next?

I am voting to get simple conan fighting action done.. so you can run around and be conan! :-)

hehe

Alanor
Blood Priest of Armok

Harlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New stuff happening!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2001, 05:42:00 pm »

I'm quite overwhelmed by the urge to say something hugely sycophantic like "Whatever gets done will likely be hopelessly cool" but.. um...

What'd I'd like to see.. Tough choice, that pretty much encompasses everything in all the plans.. But next?

Corpse processing could lend itself to some malicious fun. I'd like to see the ideas for the simple menu-driven interface when they begin to develop, too.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: New stuff happening!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2001, 09:41:00 am »

Corpse processing and the interface really go together.  Since I'm planning to redo (or add, since it is that bad) the interface, it's actually difficult to add corpse processing now (back before I was planning to switch to some kind of 3D system this wasn't a problem).  This is because, in terms of programming, corpse processing is simply interface at this point.  The rest of the code is in (body damage, items, etc.), we just need an interface to enable the processing itself.

As soon as I get my new computer (Alanor is currently hassling computer companies over shipping delays), I think I'm going to give OpenGL a shot.  If I'm lucky, it shouldn't take more than a few days to get a backbone set up.  Then we can discuss interface suggestions.  This should happen in the next 2-3 weeks, depending on the computer nonsense.

In the meantime, I've been planning growths (fingernails, claws, hair, etc.).  The creatures without weapons really need them in order for the combat system to be complete.  I was going to do stuck-ins now, but they still frighten me on many levels.  It is conceivable that a train of stuck-ins could run right off the loaded map.  Very unlikely, but I don't have the convenience of blowing off the problem for that reason (I'm SURE somebody's necromancer will have a couple hundred zombie slaves stab each other in the backs, stretching for as many squares...  just to force me to confront this).  Stuck-ins will also require some interface options, which I'm shying away from.  So that's still in the works.

Vegetation and item wear/breakage/sullying are slated (those don't require much interface at all).

Finally, I've also been solidifying many of my plans for the magic system.  The sooner I get the fundamentals programmed the better, since magical variables naturally permeate every object in the game from creatures to items to map squares.  Actual spell-casting will require some interface again, although that's no reason not to let the enemy critters start it now.

Things have otherwise been a little quiet lately because of some unforeseen hassles coming out of the recent move, and running a temperature of 100F the past few days...  uck...

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!