Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Halfenferfer's Inn Gameplay notes Add Inn mechanic  (Read 3725 times)

idgarad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Halfenferfer's Inn Gameplay notes Add Inn mechanic
« on: December 29, 2012, 10:54:42 am »

When I play DF I play it as if I was building an Inn at my site with a secret dwarven city below. One feature I thought would be a great idea (for those building bars and other meeting hall like areas) would be a new zone, the 'Inn', a meeting hall\dining hall + dorms.

Upon building and designating an Inn, neutral travelers would randomly show up, much like merchants and stay at the inn (paying for their room and board.) Depending on how much they like it, more may show up. A toggle for (Allow Travelers) would toggle those guests from arriving or not (so the zone can be used as an alternate style of meeting hall.)

As I implement it now the main hall (1st floor) of the inn is a meeting hall with tables and chairs with a few food and booze stockpiles. The second floor is a dorm.

I assign a burrow (Inn) to the 1st and second floor (First floor also has a kitchen) and that is where the inn-keeper stays along with 3 staff.

This works great as new migrant waves hang out in the inn. Using various mods I've gotten other races to migrate there but I thought, rather then migrants that stay, neutral guests could show up that stay for a while then leave, similar to merchants. aka Tourists.

Additions potentially needed:
[Tourist] tag indicating that a entity is likely to stay at an inn when travelling.
[ISINN] tag added to meeting hall and dorm definitions indicating that [Tourists] may use those facilities, toggle-able.

Then using the entities preferences the result of staying at the inn, say a scale of 1 to 10 is communicated indicating if the Inn was a pleasant stay. Rather then fighting goblins, you might make a Tavern\Inn that caters to them. I hear Elf meat is pretty popular with Goblins (Yes I make my dwarves butcher sentient).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Halfenferfer's Inn Gameplay notes Add Inn mechanic
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 11:13:38 am »

First off, welcome. Second off, thanks for making your suggestion so detailed. Third off, this is planned and has been suggested a lot. You probably just got here, but next time please use the search function first.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 11:26:46 am »

planned and has been suggested a lot.
You know you are turning into "that guy", right? :D

Also, every time i use the search function i get a 504 Gateway Timeout. So you shouldn't be so fast as to assume people don't search. They might just not be able to.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 04:12:53 pm »

Footkerchief isn't doing it, and I don't mind being seen as a jerk as much as some people.

Also, every time i use the search function i get a 504 Gateway Timeout. So you shouldn't be so fast as to assume people don't search. They might just not be able to.
That stinks. Strike that comment off of the "I still mean it" list. Because that's the only way to phrase that idea that makes sense.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 05:51:11 pm »

He is that one guy, shrouded in the legend of first post and first correction.. Very helpful i must say. A veritable Hermes. :D.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 07:15:17 pm »

....Are you being sarcastic? If not, thanks.
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 06:40:00 am »

Oh, and just a note, since the forum's search function is rather crappy. You can do a specialized google search.

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 02:12:00 pm »

How does that work?
Can you give an example of the syntax?

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 08:52:55 pm »

I've noticed too, and although he might be sarcastic, i'm not.  You're very helpful.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 09:06:16 pm »

I've noticed too, and although he might be sarcastic, i'm not.  You're very helpful.
Thank you. I know I can be a bit rude at times; I'm glad that I'm at least helpful.
Sig

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 11:17:59 am »

Yeah, I'll agree, you're far more helpful than you are rude, GWG. Even though I get on your case now and then, I think I speak for most of the board when I say we appreciate having your around.

And happy new year to all!

Also, on topic, yeah, I really like the inn/tavern idea, it's been suggested more than once, but it's a good suggestion every time. 

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 03:18:24 pm »

How does that work?
Can you give an example of the syntax?

Tack a "site:http://www.bay12forums.com/" on the end of whatever you're searching for (minus the quotation marks).  You can search other domains by replacing the URL in the same fashion.  I still think it weird that Google doesn't let you easily do more powerful searches unless you already know how to do it; whatever happened to the "Advanced search" link?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:21:55 pm by Culise »

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 02:09:45 am »

Hey, at least he's polite. I try to join in when I can.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?