Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Fallen Gods RTD- 3/6 players- Exploring the ruins...-Accepting players!  (Read 10649 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallen Gods RTD- 3/6 players- Exploring the ruins...-Accepting players!
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2012, 09:01:18 pm »

And here is my character!

Name: Faren Newlock
Race: God Seer

Class:
     - God Seer

Backstory:
Faren grew up in a small village, he lived his life as a simple farmer for many years, and spent his free time listening to the tales of travelers or looking through dusty tomes of history and magic alike. He long wondered why he was born without the ability to use magic, but had such a voracious love for the magical arts. Around the time of his fifteenth birthday he found an old book in the cellar of the village temple's library, and within its confines found the thing he had been looking for.

Within the book was an old ritual that would allow the user to gain power from Gods, or demons ... but their was a catch the first had to be contracted and the rest ... had too usurped and their place taken by Faren. Not caring about the downsides to this Faren ventured into the woods since he had heard rumors recently that a demon had been sighted in the woods, it was his key to obtaining his long sought power. He quickly found this 'demon', but it turned out to be a fallen God that had long since watched over the forest until falling from power near a month ago.

In the end a contract was formed between Faren and this God, the Forest Guardian Nevi. When he was next found his eyes had simply disappeared, and the mark of a False Seer now covered his face, a dark red tattoo in the shape of a leaf that covered most of his face. Since then things have simply gone down hill for Faren as his search for more Gods and demons continues ...

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallen Gods RTD- 6/6 players- The Prologue is out.
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2012, 08:16:50 am »

"I'm not surprised for some reason." Eunh cursed, preparing for a fight and eyeing the robed skeleton with suspicion.

Watch the skeleton for further movement.

Spoiler: Eunh (click to show/hide)
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2012, 02:13:14 pm »

Presence of hissing and slithering - probably some sort of amphibian or lizardlike creature. Probably one which carries a surface slime layer for the slithering...

Or snakes.

Please not snakes.

"Hello? Anyone in-erm-Anyone in here?"

Examine runes for any readable idea. Try to discern where that noise is coming from and search for any identifying marks.

Spoiler: Talari Kuneho (click to show/hide)

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2012, 07:56:57 pm »

I'm sorry to say this, but I think I might want to stop this RTD. I did some thinking, and couldn't figure out a way to incorporate the whole being-the-hosts-of-gods mechanic. Luckily, though, I will be starting a NEW Rtd soon, this one more Sci-Fi in nature, and hopefully easier to pull off. Thanks, though, for bearing with me all the way through my first RTD, even though not much happened.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2012, 10:55:59 pm »

I hope there are pre-ins then, and more activity :P

Also, need criticism for aiding in your next RTD?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:58:38 pm by Tiruin »

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 26, 2012, 11:00:16 pm »

Criticism would be good. The topic is already up, as well.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2012, 12:02:40 am »

Of course, that new RTD is now filled and blargh. :/

[IMO]
The game is as much a player's effort as it is the GMs, actually. Detail and immersion come when you (all 'you's are supplemented for the word 'GM') become the eyes of the players. Sure, we exist in your world, but what we see and what we can interact with is based on what you provide.

In the early stages of a game, it is good to put subtle hints as to what the players would expect - this is usually the tutorial or gritty realistic game phase, wherein they discover what is at hand//in store for any certain actions. Like, should they examine an area in depth, or just keep going on for the sake of it. These parts are crucial to forming the general idea of what would happen. These are your tools for how to present an idea or a plotline, if any. To be broken, or twisted to your will.

Then comes one of the most important parts one must know if you're GM'ing. This is as much the player's story as it is yours. Give them power, wherein power pertains to the fact that they can influence the world in a way - nobody likes to idle around and to live a vegetative life.

Like Toady One said: Human. n.

> A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.

We all want power, we all want to wield some sort of influence in our hands, we want our voices to be heard and our wills to be done. This is where the 1d6 comes in - that which determines the effect of our actions. Remember, that players are tools as much as people (where tools mean the above, not the useable items you can push to your own volition. That's going to end up bad.)

Alternatively, you may want to know the basic concept of what you're trying to present. A wise friend of mine once said that you should have some sort of message or idea to put in when you're giving off a story, and I believe him truly in that option. Which it doesn't have to be of a grandeur nature, you must know that this is not a chore nor a job that you must undertake - its free, and out of the goodness of your heart. Fun comes whenever it pleases and is not forced.

Lastly, if the game is fun, DO IT. There are tons of games out there which lasted the span of time because the GMs were having fun - as a general rule, if you have fun doing and making the game, the players would also, because we're all human and we share common grounds of knowledge (as a secret).
[/IMO]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]