Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catchy title!  (Read 1720 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Catchy title!
« on: February 07, 2013, 06:15:06 pm »

I want to make a rougelike.
Yeah. Another of these threads, right? Someone who's never touched a programming language thinking that they can make a game in a week.

Well, that's me. Just minus the "in a week" bit.

The premise is simple enough...
The ideas I have for basic design flow is the classic "infinite randomly generated dungeon floors, random items, enemies, and weapons".

The setting is pushed much further into the future compared to most rougelikes, and the most common weapon you'll have by your side is a gun. Ruined stone brick walls, remains of skyscrapers, and roads litter the random landscape, and monstrosities as well as hostiles with guns are ready to kill you.

I'd love to dissect Infra Arcanum, as that has quite a lot of the engine I'd like, but I can't. If you know a place to get the source code/engine, please say so, but otherwise I'm making this from scratch, or with a team if someone is interested. More cursed words- someone looking for a team? Eww, right?

I've done some team stuff before and had it fall apart, and I have no experience. I admit that. However, I will not quit a team unless I absolutely have to: this is not one of my RtDs. This is something that I would come back to. This is my first foray into a world I want to work in.

The main things I want in this game:
IA's Gun/Melee/Explosives weapons.
A weapon enhancing menu that allows you to use dropped items to improve weapons: this changes the name of the weapon, and only two of these may be equipped at any time, without limits.

For instance, lets say you had an AGM 30 (as all weapons in the game will be nonexistant, but their appearance based on actual guns) and had found a Foregrip and a 4.0 zoom sight. The name would change to something like Stable AGM 30 DMR, as the first attachment is a prefix and the second one is a suffix.

The gun would have better accuracy and less potential spread thanks to the grip + sight.

One problem I have is determining how bullets work: I doubt I'd be able to code spreadcones and "fire along vectors until a target or wall is hit", but that's the best system i can think of.

---

Another thing I want is for enemies to have random items on them, for instance:
The first "intelligent" you come across is the Bandit. Bandits always carry some form of light firearm and powerful melee weapon (for their early level). They will attack you for your things while getting close for a melee strike, but if their health dips below 50%, they run.

That's codeable fairly easily, even the randomness. If I had to individually give them a set of things they can spawn with, that would work: there's a chance they'd spawn with no armor or clothing but a headband, a SMG, and a machete, but that can be fixed with grouping.

Grouping items based on what they are and do- and sometimes, one item is in the same group. Let's take the Machete.
[Metal][Melee][High Damage][Light Weight][Throwable][Blade]...

I don't know when I'll start this, but if enough intrest is shown, I'll see where I can start.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
Re: Catchy title!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:34:37 pm »

as far as bullets go: since this is a RL and likely a grid system you would not be doing 'ray tracing' exactly. What you would need to do something similar but less discrete. I forgot to put code snippets into this, but the theory behind 3D voxelized tracing and 2D quad tracing should be similar but with just a reduction in dimension -- 2pg 3DVoxel raycasting for lighting -- If you are doing a RL with z-levels then this should work without dropping a dimension. Yes, that is for lighting, but it should work similarly for your bullet needs as well :D  As far as a 'spread cone' that would be a randomized direction based on a desired direction the bullet would travel if perfectly accurate transformed by a random rotation. If you are wanting semi-realistic values then you will at least need to compensate for skill and scopes + how tuned in the scope is for a given range (100 yards generally for semi-automatic rifles). If you are modeling ballistic trajectories then a decent earth gravity model would be a 2 inch drop per 100 yards with a flat trajectory. Pistols have bad long range accuracy, and short range accuracy is mostly gained through practice and familiarity with the chosen weapon.

Hope that gives you a decent start :) Saw this a week ago just forgot to post :P
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.