Poll

Macbook pro or other?

Macbook pro
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 12 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: January 06, 2013, 02:44:04 am

Author Topic: Macbook Pro vs other laptop  (Read 5678 times)

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Macbook Pro vs other laptop
« on: December 30, 2012, 02:44:04 am »

Should I trade a macbook pro for some other laptop?

Recently got a macbook pro from the holidays. I'm considering selling it and using the ~$2000 on another laptop. "Other" is purposely left vague because I will most likely choose based on what I'm doing and mac's are less customizable.

Some other considerations:
-This will be a work laptop.
-Mostly used for programming.
-No heavy gaming.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Macbook Pro vs other laptop
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 02:48:52 am »

With $2000 you could be a good desktop computer, so finding a good laptop should be no problem. I don't have any specific recommendations, but as long as you don't buy a mac computer you'd have plenty left over.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 04:43:39 am »

For programming in C and C++, I've found plenty of Windows programs that work just fine for the task. No need to spend all that extra money on a Mac when you can get the same (or better) system for cheaper. My laptop cost me about $250 (custom part selection) and I haven't had a problem with it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 05:10:01 am »

I remember a (mind you, macromeme) image that proved that macs tend to be overpriced for what you get.

A quick google turns up this tough. But i still recommend not getting a Mac, but that's personal preference.

^
Look, an image!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 08:14:15 am »

Sell the Mac and buy a decent laptop AND a decent gaming pc with the change.

Macs are overpriced average specced laptops that they charge an extra $1000 on because it comes with OSX, an Os made up of mostly freeware parts, just like Linux.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 08:18:47 am »

Sell the Mac and buy a decent laptop AND a decent gaming pc with the change.
This.  Getting a 2000$ laptop is basically throwing 1000$ away...

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 02:22:16 pm »

If you want a macbook go for a macbook. For programming it does not make that much of a difference. Macbooks only advantage is that it looks good, but even then you can get a similar looking Lenovo that is cheaper and better.

Personally after being a programmer for a loong time, I would say Linux is the best OS for programming. So a I would personally never buy a macbook for programming. But I have programmer friends who use macs, and they don't seem to have problems using them.

Buy whatever laptop you like. If you want a macbook go for one. You can get more for less if you do not go for a macbook, but if you want one it wont hinder you much in terms of programming.
Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 03:11:47 pm »

Despite the results of the poll, I'm probably going to keep the macbook and get a separate laptop for the programming. I'll be mostly using it for media and other stuff.

Thanks for all the help.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.