Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: $100 in steam wallet for christmas. Now what?  (Read 7205 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
$100 in steam wallet for christmas. Now what?
« on: December 31, 2012, 12:21:07 am »

As it says, my mom got me $100 worth of steam cards I just redeemed....and I now realize I have no real clue what to buy! So I turn to you guys to suggest the essential games I should be playing right now!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: $100 in steam wallet for christmas. Now what?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 12:24:38 am »

What kind of games do you like?

Mount & Blade: Warband should be on sale for 5 dollars right now.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 12:26:13 am »

Just... keep an eye on the flash sales, and browse around looking for stuff that interests you until around the fourth or so, at which point you nab everything you haven't already while it's still on sale. Actual game suggestions... what are your interests? Any recommendations would hinge on that.

Personally, I've nabbed Fortune Summoners, Bastion, the X3 gold pack, and Oblivion's GOTY package thing (with the intent of modding the bejesus out of it, which is currently giving me fits.) so far, and I've still got about eight bucks of wiggleroom.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:44:04 am »

Killing Floor is an excellent game for the price (and by price, I mean at the 75% discount it goes for every other week). It does cooperative play reasonably well, and has some of the best gunplay of any FPS, imo. Ever. Recentish additions include a crossbow that shoots saw blades and a shotgun that lights things on fire, which is pretty neat in my book. It's also extremely well optimized, and will run well on pretty much anything, while still looking alright on the highest settings. It also has a reasonably alive modding scene and player base, despite its age. It's worthless as a single player game though, so keep that in mind. The amount of sheer class and sophistication it oozes may be a turn off, though.

And yeah, Warband, if you don't already own it. Don't ever buy the original Mount and Blade, as Warband is a direct improvement in every way. Fire and Sword changes things up a bit though, and I'd only buy it if you really like Warband and need more Mount and Blade.

Hotline Miami is a nifty game, that I heartily recommend for anyone who likes difficult games and the pixel art style. Its soundtrack is pretty amazing as well, but that's deeply subjective. It was on sale earlier, I think.

Civ 5 is alright. The expansion is pretty meh, for the price. If you haven't played any of the civ games, either visit the other bay or pick up Civ IV while its on sale to see if you like it.

The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and Oblivion are on sale for five bucks each. Also the one with the horny hats, but that'll still cost $30. I honestly haven't played either, but hey, people say they're good apparently.

I'd argue Age of Empires II is better than Age of Empires III, but I don't play much RTS.

Uh, yeah, so that was just me skimming the sales list for today. Should really give what kind of games you do like, though.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 12:50:19 am »

And yeah, Warband, if you don't already own it. Don't ever buy the original Mount and Blade, as Warband is a direct improvement in every way.
Well, there is a Middle-Earth mod that's pretty damn great and well polished ONLY for the first Mount and Blade, so if you like Middle-Earth and have money to spend you may want to get the first M&B game too.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 12:58:25 am »

Well, as for steam games I already have, I got civ 5 already, Xcom enemy unknown(which even on EASY kicks my ass! And is still glorious!) Sword of the stars complete collection, and FTL.

I generally like strategy and action games, with a strong emphasis on sci-fi and fantasy.

AGE 2 was on sale?! missed that, it was my favorite age of empires(though never played 3)
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 01:04:05 am »

Thinking on it, if you're after older stuff you might fish around and see if anyone's willing to swap GOG gifts for Steam gifts or something along those lines. Get yeh a little barterin' on.
Ask not!
Ask!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 01:05:17 am »

...already added the cards to my wallet so I'm not sure if I can

Edit: also, I'm getting my fix for anything 4x and/or space related from Sword of the stars complete collection atm, so any good action fantasy would be peachy

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 01:05:51 am »

Just a warning if you're interested in older things, the fallout collection on steam has a lot of compatability issues with pretty much any OS at or past windows XP

You can fix it but it's pretty involved and involves swapping files about and changing settings, and even then it's not perfect.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 01:15:05 am »

Edit: also, I'm getting my fix for anything 4x and/or space related from Sword of the stars complete collection atm, so any good action fantasy would be peachy
Bastion and Fortune Summoners are still half-off. Pretty radically different games, but they're both action-fantasy and awesome in their own way. FS will kick your ass into the ground, though :P

Regarding FS, the rest of the Carpe Fulgar published games are on sale, too, and I've heard fairly decent things about 'em. Also action fantasy!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:16:58 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 01:28:52 am »

AGE 2 was on sale?! missed that, it was my favorite age of empires(though never played 3)

I don't think it's on steam, unfortunately. Just saw AoE III and was like... eh...

Strategy and action screams Warband. With confetti. And a slightly intoxicated man in a chicken costume holding a burning sign. Also balloons.

Check out Natural Selection II for an excellent sci-fi team based FPS/RTS... unfortunately I think the sale on it is over, but it'll go on sale again eventually.

Torchlight II is a good game, if you like Diablo style games without all the Diablo III shit along with it. Again, missed the sale. :/

Metro 2033 is a good single player FPS, if you can get it on sale. It goes for 75% off frequently. I guess it's kind of sci-fi.

May want to give Endless Space a look, if you're interested in 4x games. I've heard mixed reviews, and can't say I've played this one personally, unlike most of these. Blurg, no 4x.

The Elder Scrolls games would hardly be amiss. Try whichever of the older ones you feel you'd enjoy more before buying Skyrim. Even if you do buy Skyrim, the older ones are still good for their age, and if you don't like Oblivion or Morrowind, it was only five bucks lost. Again, didn't play these myself, but they're pretty much unanimously loved.

Terraria's alright. There's a good deal of single player content, if you're into the kind of genre. If you've played minecraft, think of it as that, but with an actual game with, you know, stuff to do.[/cheeky]

Dungeon Defenders is only really fun played with friends, in my experience. I've almost exclusively played in private games, so if you don't know anyone who has it and would still play, I'd give it a miss. It also has a metric fuckton of DLC.

Orcs Must Die is arguably better than Dungeon Defenders in some respects. I'd say it's a better single player game, while still being quite fun in co-op (for the second one, the first doesn't have multiplayer, I think). I liked the progression more than Dungeon Defenders' loot system, anyway.

Sim City 4 is pretty great if you like city building games. If you like Dwarf Fortress, which I'm guessing you do, then you'll probably like it. Missed the sale on it though. But, since there's a new one on the way, it will most certainly go on sale again soon.

I'd recommend Dishonored, but not if this money is meant to last. Wait for it to go on sale after a while, if you're into actiony kinda stealthy beard stabbing simulators.

Chivalry's quite fun. Its combat system is kind of simple, but well done. War of the Roses is more Mount and Bladish in many respects, and since we all know you've bought warband by now (HINT HINT) you can decide whether either is worth it.

Oh god, what else... uh... Portal, but who hasn't played Portal? Also the new Counter Strike game. It's pretty fun, and lives up to the name better than CS:Source did, imo. It's also pretty cheap, but again, wait for sales on all of this. There are some good free to plays on steam as well, but obviously you can just try those for yourself anyway. The only ones I've had any experience with are Tribes, Deadlight, and some Planetside 2.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:45:54 am by UrbanGiraffe »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 01:35:23 am »

huh, sim city 4 is on steam? Didn't know that. Have it, though. And I did check endless space, sounds pretty similar to Sword of the Stars(though you can say that about any 4x space strategy, really; after all they are ALL derivative of Master of orion, which I ALSO have). Also, my roomate has oblivion AND skyrim on xbox, so I've played the hell out of both.

As for the rest, Fortune Summoners sounds pretty interesting actually

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 03:46:44 am »

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is good if you like platforming. It also has an awesome soundtrack that's beautifully integrated into its perky world/punk world mechanic.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 04:00:00 am »

Bastion was boring. Rant, rant.

A friend of mine gave me the Fable pack (Lost Tales and III), and I've been enjoying that. It feels like a bit of Elder Scrolls and Devil May Cry lite, but it comes with Games 4 windows Live and is still a bit pricey even at half off.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 04:19:00 am »

Until the end of the sale, Rock of Ages is less than $2.50 and Dungeons of Dredmor is a dollar and change. If you have something leftover in your steam wallet at the end of the sale, I'd recommend them both very highly and for completely different reasons.

Bioshock 1+2 on sale for $10 for a few more hours. Not swords and sorcery fantasy, but still arguably a fantasy-action game. And great.

I feel like there's a fair chance Bastion or Fallout: New Vegas will hit a daily or flash sale, and they are both fantastic.

I personally picked up Arkham City and Mass Effect 1+2 on daily sales, but there might be a flash sale later and they're both pretty highly regarded games. Haven't played enough of Mass Effect to recommend it personally, but Arkham City is great fun.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 04:21:09 am by kinseti »
Pages: [1] 2 3