Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bio/material mechanics questions  (Read 1361 times)

Zucchini

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-Purpose Vegetable
    • View Profile
Bio/material mechanics questions
« on: December 31, 2012, 05:51:38 pm »

Hi all.

I'm working on a set of real-world physics numbers for my own use and for anyone else who would see fit to use them, possibly even for submission to Toady.

But I'm not in the science department.  I'm in the history department.  Yes, Martha, I'm not the history department, I'm in the history department.  And I need someone in the math biology department.

(10 points to anyone who gets that reference...  ;) )

But actually, sort of the crossroads of material science/physics and biology departments.

So, being something of a SIMP, I'm going to need help.  Can you people literate in the appropriate areas give me a bit of advice?

First problem:

I want to come up with real-world Yield, Fracture and Strain at Yield values for bone, skin, and other keratinous, collagenous and bone-based biomaterials.  Unfortunately, the viscoelastics are nowhere near as straightforward to read as inorganics.  And if I use the "yield" value most papers give, it'll distort the results such that organics are brittle.

So, the question is, how do you read an appropriate, relevant Yield value from the stress/strain diagram of a viscoelastic material?

Note that, since in DF we're talking about axe surgery and not plastic surgery, we're really not concerned about the lower yield-to-viscoelastic deformation "yield" that most of the literature talks about, but rather to the yield-to-beginning-of-failure that is more like inorganic yield (i.e., where the material is strained past the point of its ability to elastically deform, therefore straining plastically and damaging it).

But the stress/strain diagrams and the literature really don't give clear guidance on this.  At all.  So, as a matter of the question applied to concrete example, what Yield values should be estimated from visually reading the stress/strain diagram below?

Eyeballing it, here's what I got, but I'm really not very confident at all with my understanding of what we should treat as the Yield point for collagenous/viscoelastic stuff:

Tendon: 16.5 MPa or so (from where I see the 'crook' in the curve before it goes linear up until failure)
Rhinoceros Skin: about 25 MPa?  (from about where the direction of the curve changes from concave to convex)
Cat Skin: about 8 MPa

Am I totally off on these?

This is a sort of repost of the question from the modding forum.  And as I said there, I will be obscenely grateful for your help.  And as I clarified there, I mean grateful to an obscene degree, not in an obscene way.  (!)
I want to take the ears off, but I can't.

Detahramet

• Bay Watcher
  • LIBERAL DWARF SQUAD! Hell yes, LDS!
    • View Profile
Re: Bio/material mechanics questions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 07:16:37 pm »

But actually, sort of the crossroads of material science/physics and biology departments.
...since when did biology stop being a science?
Hail Kodkod, Goddess of Jam!

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:50:26 pm »

Read what you quote. Material Science specifies certain materials whether being organic or inorganic.

Since he's into the history he doesn't have the specific knowledge needed to put in the paticular numbers for any organic material ie bone, skins, other tissue.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Detahramet

• Bay Watcher
  • LIBERAL DWARF SQUAD! Hell yes, LDS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 09:22:04 pm »

Ah. So I'm an obscenely massive idiot then. Sorry for my incompetence.
Hail Kodkod, Goddess of Jam!

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 12:11:51 am »

Nah its the old saying Look before you leap. Or the Dwarfish saying have a very good exit when you open up the magma for the forges.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 10:19:52 am »

Ask any chemist or physicist and they will agree that biology is not a science.
(But either way he's talking about the crossroad between Material_science/Physics and Biology)
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 09:24:51 pm »

Ask any chemist or physicist and they will agree that biology is not a science.
(But either way he's talking about the crossroad between Material_science/Physics and Biology)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Found it relevant. Thank you, xkcd.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 05:00:21 am »

I suppose I'm probably qualified to answer this, given that I actually have a degree in Materials Science now . . .

The 0.2% offset method of calculating yield strength is commonly used for metals.  Going by that test (but mostly my own eyeballs), the graph for tendon never really yields at all, and the graph for rhinoceros skin either doesn't yield or yields just barely before failing.  The graph for cat skin looks more like the kind of stress-strain curve you'd get off an elastomer (rubber), which can't really use the same framework of elastic modulus/yield strength/ultimate strength that we use for metals. 

Note: in stress-strain plots from actual experiments, there's often a little non-linearity at very low stresses (e.g. the plot for rhinoceros skin).  You can usually just ignore that- sometimes it's from slack being taken up in the testing apparatus, or maybe there's other reasons, but it will usually switch almost immediately to proper linear elasticity. 

I'm trying to come up with a good way to phrase this, but I basically suspect that for a lot of skin types there's really no sensible way to fit them into the standard elastic modulus/yield strength/ultimate strength model used in DF (and a lot of actual engineering).  That model works well as a very simple model for metals and ceramics (ceramics and other brittle materials obviously having a yield strength equal to their ultimate strength), but squishy polymers (and fiber-strengthened soft tissue) just don't react to stress the same way.  If you define "yield strength" as the stress at the onset of plastic deformation, it gets even worse, since it's quite possible that an elastomer (or, as the case may be, cat skin) doesn't permanently deform at all until it fails completely (at least in a short-term test, but if you want to be more accurate we have to get into slow-deformation-over-time processes like creep and stress relaxation that aren't even used in DF at the moment and are even more annoying and aargh I'm probably putting way too much thought into this). 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 08:25:06 pm »

The problem is that when coding the combat engine, I believe Toady has cut corners regarding elasticity. It becomes evident if you fiddle with the raws enough.

For instance, you know that blunt weapons, no matter how much force they have behind, never manage to tear, or completely crush, a soft elastic tissue. Even when stomped on by a giant, you'll only receive bruises and in the worst case broken bones.
Now, in the material definition raws, you'll run across elasticity values, in case of blunt damage, IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD.
For each of the soft tissues the value is 50000.
Now change them to 49999. That's a 0.002% change. It won't do anything meaningful, right? Fire up the arena, and get ready for a big surprise: each and every punch or kick will now tear soft tissues! At this point it becomes obvious that bruising or tearing is merely determined by a on/off threshold, and not a curve of sorts.
Also, if the attack doesn't have enough force to tear the tissues (I believe, it is between the "yield" and "fracture" values), they are "dented", which appears somewhat different from bruising - it causes pain, for one.

Another example is chain mail. Unless a harder metal is used for the weapon, pretty much every edged attack will be converted to blunt. Yes, even the overpowered railgun slugs bolts that punch right through giant-sized plate.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:28:05 pm by squishynoob »

Zucchini

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-Purpose Vegetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 04:27:34 pm »

Oh my. 

Apologies for the apparent snub.  It's just that some fields have "science" in their name, and some don't, and it has nothing to do with whether they're actually scientific or not.

Witness "political science."  "Lol."

"Material science" is the actual name of the field as far as I've been made aware -- it wasn't meant to imply physics or biology are not scientific.  They just don't have it in their name.  :P

Tangent: Funny but true anecdote on the difference between "political science" and history students
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, I do recommend that you look at:

[link to SanDiego's Tissue Rebalance mod]

due to its effectiveness at re-working bone, tissue, and other biological matter structures to much more appropriate levels.
Oh yeah, I use it in my own build.  Great stuff!

I suppose I'm probably qualified to answer this, given that I actually have a degree in Materials Science now . . .

The 0.2% offset method of calculating yield strength is commonly used for metals.  Going by that test (but mostly my own eyeballs), the graph for tendon never really yields at all, and the graph for rhinoceros skin either doesn't yield or yields just barely before failing.  The graph for cat skin looks more like the kind of stress-strain curve you'd get off an elastomer (rubber), which can't really use the same framework of elastic modulus/yield strength/ultimate strength that we use for metals. 

Note: in stress-strain plots from actual experiments, there's often a little non-linearity at very low stresses (e.g. the plot for rhinoceros skin).  You can usually just ignore that- sometimes it's from slack being taken up in the testing apparatus, or maybe there's other reasons, but it will usually switch almost immediately to proper linear elasticity. 

I'm trying to come up with a good way to phrase this, but I basically suspect that for a lot of skin types there's really no sensible way to fit them into the standard elastic modulus/yield strength/ultimate strength model used in DF (and a lot of actual engineering).  That model works well as a very simple model for metals and ceramics (ceramics and other brittle materials obviously having a yield strength equal to their ultimate strength), but squishy polymers (and fiber-strengthened soft tissue) just don't react to stress the same way.  If you define "yield strength" as the stress at the onset of plastic deformation, it gets even worse, since it's quite possible that an elastomer (or, as the case may be, cat skin) doesn't permanently deform at all until it fails completely (at least in a short-term test, but if you want to be more accurate we have to get into slow-deformation-over-time processes like creep and stress relaxation that aren't even used in DF at the moment and are even more annoying and aargh I'm probably putting way too much thought into this). 
Nonono, huge thanks!  That's exactly the kind of advice I need on it, so much appreciated.  I feel I have some better guidance for eyeballing DF-workable "Yield" numbers now (despite the problematic nature of the whole thing that you and Squishynoob describe).

The problem is that when coding the combat engine, I believe Toady has cut corners regarding elasticity. It becomes evident if you fiddle with the raws enough. [ . . . ]

Yep, I've been made aware of the how DF's framework really doesn't handle organics well (because, as you guys point out, it treats them all like inorganics, and the whole thing on elasticity/yield).  However, that specific advice you give will be very helpful as well, so thanks.  With all the relevant info shotgunned all over the forum, it's nice to have it crystallized like that.

Here's to hoping Toady implements the physics better!  I suppose it may be a waste of time, but if he does ever improve them, this research may come in useful.  Until then, though, the short-term less-ambitious intent for it is to be the basis for skin/leather variation.  I'll have to figure out exactly how much I can reasonably vary this or that in terms of DF's current paradigm once I've got a reasonable set of numbers to work with.

@Lich180 -- I've never seen that graphic.  It's great!  Just need to get poli sci on there...
I want to take the ears off, but I can't.