Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 104594 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!
« on: December 31, 2012, 08:09:22 pm »

So I had this idea, and I looked around the community forum to try to find a thread on it, but I couldn't.

So now that we're going to have worlds that continue to grow even as we toil on our forts and the lives of our adventurers, and forts that can be left to work on unrelated matters, we should start having entire community worlds, that span across decades and beyond of in-game time, jumping from forts that span across the whole globe, connected by the wandering persuits of various adventurers.

Think of it, someone could be playing in one fort, then transfer the save over to another player, who runs a completey different fort on the other side of the continent, and if one needs help, you could ferry over supplies as an adventurer with demi-god level fighting power to save them from an incoming seige.

I can imagine a world being genned from year two (or zero if someone has figured out how), and advancing onward  into years with triple digits, possibly even quadruple if the world is just that good.

So who's with me? DF2013 DF2014 as the succession world project

UPDATE:

The game has been started by Glloyd here.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 03:15:05 pm by mastahcheese »
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 09:58:58 pm »

*raises hand*
I in.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 11:36:40 pm »

There are already a few succession worlds (mostly for adventure mode), but in 2013 they should be able to last indefinitely. And be way more lively.

Good idea Mastahcheese.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Kalemyr Skyfire

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace of Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 01:09:35 am »

Nice idea.

Im in.
Quote from: Confucius
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Quote from: Isaac Asimov
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 01:44:25 am »

I like this idea.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 05:00:02 am »

The best part is that all the forts people have created continue to run even if no player is interested in them. I'd certainly be interested in starting such a succession when DF2013 is out too.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 07:40:37 am »

Yes, I had this idea too!
Say, each of players makes a fortress for a year or two, then leaves it on its own and passes save to next player. And later each player gets his fortress back and gets pissed of how their nice places turned into mess! And has his time to fix it.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 07:41:39 am »

Sounds great, I'm in.

ME
!!AND MY AXE!!

(EDIT: what the hell was i thinking when i wrote this? :D)

EDIT: It would take alot of time and recources, but somebody could wall in entire cities using fortresses. If Toady ever intruduces road pricing...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:57:15 am by Yuli Vlasi »
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 10:35:47 am »

Sounds great, I'm in.
ME
!!AND MY AXE!!

What if a player built a huge wall on his/her site and then created another fortress next to the first one, continuing the wall. It would take alot of time and recources, but somebody could wall in entire cities that way. If Toady ever intruduces road pricing...

And you can make Multifortresses building several adyacent fortresses joined though the caverns, Moria style, With populations of thousands.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Slothman400

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 11:44:24 am »

There is something else you could do with this: embark on a half terrifying glacier, then build an ice wall to separate the terrifying and not terrifying parts. Create forts on either side to do the same. Continue until you have The Wall from Game of Thrones.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug!

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 11:48:40 am »

It could even be DF2014... We don't know how long it will take for The Almighty to complete his plans for the next release.

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 11:52:30 am »

It could even be DF2014... We don't know how long it will take for The Almighty to complete his plans for the next release.

IIRC, he mentioned in the latest DF Talk that he's aiming for a march 2013 release... I think that's him being way too generous, but still. 2 months to go! :D

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 12:38:05 pm »

I was planning to do something like this, yes. If someone else starts one, I'll join.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 01:07:29 pm »

I must get in on this as well... I'm wondering how the game would track the mountainhome position with multiple player forts... Would it get transferred to the next fortress that meets the qualifications, or would you have to surpass the previous mountainhome?
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 01:09:40 pm »

And you can make Multifortresses building several adyacent fortresses joined though the caverns, Moria style, With populations of thousands.
Urist McMiner cancels dig: Interrupted by Balrog/Dug too deep!
EDIT: I wonder how often those LotR references were already made. Probably way too often to be funny anymore.

By the way, how are we going to organize this? One year turns on each fortress? What about adventurer turns?
I guess mastahcheese is the boss now.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:42:24 am by Yuli Vlasi »
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 74