Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 104688 times)

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 06:40:17 pm »

I'm in. No way I can miss out on this good idea.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

BronzeAge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2013, 03:03:32 am »

Jumping on this before the list gets gigantic.

Absolutis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2013, 07:31:46 am »

If you won't mind a noob, I'm in.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2013, 09:10:51 pm »

Maybe we can pour magma at the whole world?!!!
Fix'd that for you.

EDIT: Oh yeah, when the new version actually comes out in March or whenever, I think when we gen the world, we should use advanced world generation, not only to allow for a start year of two, but also to fine tune it for the best enjoyment.
I think a smallish world would be best, so that things wont be crossing multiple continents, and we could walk from one side of the continent to the other in about a week of adventer time-scale, so that you can reach more of people's creations faster.
I also think that caves should be set to visible, not just so we can reach the underground without skipping through some one's fort, but so that kobolds would be easier to track down, because you all know how they like dwarven artifacts.

EDIT:
But I also would like Talvieno as the World Bard.
This reminds me, since the world keeps on running around us, we would probably want somebody to be in charge of uploading saves as they're passed along to check if anything interesting happens in the world, and report on it.
If we could actually get Talvieno himself to be that person, that would be amazing and epic. Someone should send him a message.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:28:34 pm by mastahcheese »
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Shrimp12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 12:45:40 am »

Sounds...AMAZING. I would join this even if I'm a little newbish.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 03:12:57 am »

This reminds me, since the world keeps on running around us, we would probably want somebody to be in charge of uploading saves as they're passed along to check if anything interesting happens in the world, and report on it.
If we could actually get Talvieno himself to be that person, that would be amazing and epic. Someone should send him a message.

What about using a Dropbox Shared Folder? With this method, everyone who is interested could export to legend and have a look.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2013, 04:40:38 am »

The logistics of save-management are terrifying. I think it's best if we get Talvieno doing that for us.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2013, 05:15:34 am »

You have my axe. And my totally lack of skill in this game. Axe + noob = FUN. And we all like FUN, don't we?
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2013, 07:00:52 am »

I could potentially manage to create a save system if I got more information on how exactly these forts would work. I could maintain it as well by using internet uploading services and keeping spares on 2 different PCs so that I can reupload if something were to happen.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2013, 07:19:29 am »

I'm assuming we get turns based on time in real life, to play however we please in the Succession World. Once the turn ends, we upload the save, complete with retired adventurers/fortresses for the next person to use.

What would be cool is if each person's turn had narrative that fitted together somehow - a central plot to the world. I'm thinking of something like that Adventure Mode succession game with the museum. I'll find it and post a link sometime.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2013, 10:06:39 am »

What would be cool is if each person's turn had narrative that fitted together somehow - a central plot to the world. I'm thinking of something like that Adventure Mode succession game with the museum. I'll find it and post a link sometime.
I think we should generate the world first and develope the plot afterwards so we can make it fit more into the setting. Things like the location of certain sites and the relations of civilisations to each other are important factors not only for gameplay, but also for imagination.
EDIT: We can stilll make plans though. I already came up with some ideas for adventurers.

Somebody should also write down all the stories and events down in case somebody wants to look up something.
Can somebody tell me who exactly Talvieno is? I couldn't find much useful information through Google.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:09:35 pm by Yuli Vlasi »
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2013, 01:11:32 am »

What about starting our own little war. Our adventure can act as a commander leading our fort military to cause some !!FUN!! On another player fort :D

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2013, 11:27:08 am »

Somebody should also write down all the stories and events down in case somebody wants to look up something.
Can somebody tell me who exactly Talvieno is? I couldn't find much useful information through Google.
He's not on google, he's another person on the forums.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2013, 01:04:45 pm »

He's not on google
Welll, I found this Dwarf Fortress related blog full of beatifully written poems called Talvi's Place through Google: http://talvieno.tumblr.com/
The poems. Goooood stuff.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:02:07 pm by Yuli Vlasi »
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2013, 02:12:40 am »

I hope you don't mind if another noob joins in with this idea?
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74