Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 104754 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #315 on: March 18, 2013, 11:17:47 pm »

The problem is, fatal errors might take time to occur, for example if someone added a syndrome and someone else changed it, people infected without them noticing might permanently crash the game if they show up during someone else's turn. Creatures would have to stay forever, as we could only have so many placeholders and there are certain creature properties that cannot be set or removed after the world starts without breaking it. It's very difficult to simply remove a creature from the game once instances of it have appeared, and bearing in mind someone might want to see a particular modded creature again even if players coming after don't. This is not to mention all the changes coming to raws (especially for creatures), bringing up need for testing periods (which in all likelihood most players won't have time for).

Modders will take time to adjust to the new version, so modding the main save would slow us down considerably. If there is to be more-than-trivial modding (adding anything new, for instance), we really should keep it on a secondary world used for crazy testing purposes.

That is what the vote is for: if you want major modding (new creatures, robo-dragons, etc) in the MAIN SUCCESSION GAME, vote YES. If you'd rather confine mods to a secondary, no-rules test world, vote NO.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 19, 2013, 01:08:12 am »

Too much fiddling with the raws mid-game can be dirty business. Dirty, dirty business that results in horrible monstrosities...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 19, 2013, 06:09:52 am »

Let's just play the game pure vanilla.
If one wants to fiddle around with mods, you can always just duplicate the given world and do what you want with it.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 19, 2013, 09:52:20 am »

If one wants to fiddle around with mods, you can always just duplicate the given world and do what you want with it.
THIS.

Just do this, then you can tell everyone about whatever it was that you did, and we can all have a good laugh like we should, and get back to the game at hand without ruining it for everyone.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

wowie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 19, 2013, 11:22:22 am »

THIS.

Just do this, then you can tell everyone about whatever it was that you did, and we can all have a good laugh like we should, and get back to the game at hand without ruining it for everyone.
And if it's funny enough someone could pick it up and make it into a spinoff world.
I can't describe to you using words... how lame this signature is.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 19, 2013, 11:41:49 am »

THIS.

And if it's funny enough someone could pick it up and make it into a spinoff world.

Alternate universes, eh?
Me gusta.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 19, 2013, 01:30:38 pm »

You know what? That's brilliant.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 19, 2013, 02:53:28 pm »

I love when we achieve a good agreement.
Bonus point if I have been involved.

Also, I wonder if when you exterminate a population of a site that didn't belong to you (let's say a hill dorf site or a dark fortress) - will it count as reclaimable later on?
I would love to see that happen.

You make a fort, train some legendary dorfs, give them some legendary stuff and whatnot, retire the fort, play adventure mode, hire the military, go conquer some sites, retire, reclaim, rinse, repeat.
That could potentially lead to world domination at some point.

Boy I want this release so badly...

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 19, 2013, 02:57:18 pm »

I love when we achieve a good agreement.
Bonus point if I have been involved.
Meanwhile, I have been drooling.
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 19, 2013, 03:08:58 pm »

Also, kinda offtopic, but how have you been enjoying my Island of All Evil world so far?
Did you get there?

(I personally am on the way there, but since I've decided to gen the world with only 2 years the island actually looks mirthful or serene or something and not evil, ironically.)

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 19, 2013, 04:01:18 pm »

Also, I wonder if when you exterminate a population of a site that didn't belong to you (let's say a hill dorf site or a dark fortress) - will it count as reclaimable later on?
I doubt you'll be able to reclaim it yourself, but it'll certainly be significantly easier for your dwarfciv to conquer.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 19, 2013, 04:04:23 pm »

You make a fort, train some legendary dorfs, give them some legendary stuff and whatnot, retire the fort, play adventure mode, hire the military, go conquer some sites, retire, reclaim, rinse, repeat.
I doubt you'll be able to reclaim it yourself, but it'll certainly be significantly easier for your dwarfciv to conquer.

You know what would also be awesome?
If other independent already-existing fortresses were seen by the game as "retired" and available to be reclaimed.

I am just trying to think of a way to let us live in the sites conquered by adventurers.
While I don't see that being TOO hard to code, I just am probably ignorant and can't seem to find those things hard.

Implementing high-level diplomacy system? Is hard, I'll admit.
But this shouldn't be extraordinary difficult, and would provide us with a much, MUCH better way of directly interacting with our worlds, which is what we're seeking after all.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 19, 2013, 05:45:46 pm »

According to the dev logs, Toady isn't planning on letting us reclaim any sites besides the specific dwarf fortress sites. Hill dwarf and cavern settlements, and other races' settlements, won't be available for reclaim, abandoned or not.

Some tests I'd like to see done in the next version are;

- Using embark anywhere or a similar utility to embark on top of various races' settlements, build there, then abandon some, retire others, and let invaders conquer a third group, and see how the game now treats these two overlapping sites and the populations within them, and the effects the circumstances of one may have on the other. This isn't a hypothesis-driven experiment I guess, although you could form hypotheses.

- See if, by wiping out the populations of sites owned by a particular civilization, you can now destroy that civilization entirely. As I understood form Toady's logs and answers to questions, the issue with killing non-historical figures not reducing the population and being respawned or replaced is getting fixed with this update.

- What happens if you embark on your own civilization's active site.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 19, 2013, 07:00:29 pm »

Also, kinda offtopic, but how have you been enjoying my Island of All Evil world so far?
Did you get there?

(I personally am on the way there, but since I've decided to gen the world with only 2 years the island actually looks mirthful or serene or something and not evil, ironically.)

Haven't had the chance to play it, actually. Sorry.

Anyway, site testing will be very interesting. Loyalty cascades will probably have disappeared or changed.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 19, 2013, 09:55:18 pm »

This looks interesting... posting to watch.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 74