Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 104586 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014: The Succession World!
« Reply #915 on: April 20, 2014, 07:33:08 am »

Nevemind, dream count is at 4 now.
Also, I love going through the early pages of this thread. Instantly gets me pumped for the release again.

Back when we still had hopes for DF2013 and DF2014 was considered a joke.
Good times...

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 25, 2014, 12:36:48 am »

Bumping for the sake of soon-to-be DF2014. :D
Freakin' finally...The bugfixing phase.

(I do remember someone saying that there'll probably be a new thread for this, but still, until that happens this one exists.)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 25, 2014, 12:41:36 am »

Mastahcheese, the OP still refers to DF2014 as DF2013. That should probably be fixed.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 25, 2014, 12:42:30 am »

Mastahcheese, the OP still refers to DF2014 as DF2013. That should probably be fixed.

People actually read the OP these days?
MADNESS!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 25, 2014, 12:53:20 am »

Fixed it!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 25, 2014, 01:32:04 pm »

MADNESS!

You just said you went back to read the OP a few days ago!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 25, 2014, 01:47:25 pm »

MADNESS!

You just said you went back to read the OP a few days ago!

Because I AM mad!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 25, 2014, 02:58:43 pm »

Posting to show interest.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 27, 2014, 05:42:09 am »

Something just struck me.
Why hasn't anyone tried to replicate the Valley of Mines, Khorinis (either as the island or just the city) or Jarkendar from the Gothic series (I refuse to accept the existance of abominations that are Gothic 3 and Arcania)?

That universe has more in common with Dwarf Fortress than most cRPGs out there - you too got necromancers who live in towers (heck, Xardas even mentioned that he built his towers with the help of his undead minions), nasty megabeasts in the form of dragons, goblins and kobolds (well, orcs and goblins, in this case, but they fulfill similar roles) etc.
As well as gods who grant powers to their followers, I guess.

And with all the new mechanics that DF2014 will bring, it could become that much more fun and !!FUN!!.

Plus it's not like the Isle of Khorinis was spectacularly big...

Spoiler: Maps galore (click to show/hide)

Of course I don't know how up to scale those maps are, but as I said, the whole thing shouldn't be much larger than a pocket DF world.
Whether that's a good idea to make this part of our main (or side) succession world is a different matter altogether, I'm just pitching the concept here.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 27, 2014, 12:40:44 pm »

Goblins and kobolds as megabeasts? What?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: April 27, 2014, 02:18:52 pm »

I understood that they existed and were assholes just like in Df, not that they were megabeasts.

You could probably set up a world like that for yourself in perfect world (the utility) and as long as the syntax for world gen settings doesn't change much it should work with the new version. You might have to remove or add some tags to the file afterwards but that's all I ever had to worry about to make maps for 34.01+ with the 31.x version of perfect world.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 27, 2014, 02:54:34 pm »

Should've put a semicolon there, I guess. :v
But yeah, my point was that Gothic orcs and goblins are DF goblins and kobolds, not that they're megabeasts.

Now if we could also simulate Gothic's storyline in Dwarf Fortress, or see how else it would go, now that would be awesome. Although I would imagine that with more than 6 dragons the whole place would be either left in ruin by the time worldgen history is completed or the Valley of Mines would be a seriously !!FUN!! place for adventurers.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 29, 2014, 07:17:51 am »

Not sure if this is fit for the main Succession World, but I do have a challenge that a Succession World could use: Colonization.

Gen a world without dwarves, then embark as an Outlander caravan. Your 7 dwarves will be the only dwarves in the world. (We might have to embark a few times till we get 2 or more females) Your goal: ensure the world enters the Dwarven Age.
Each player keeps track of the dwarven population. Forts that lower the overall population before they can be safely retired or fail to raise it get scummed, at least until we reached a point where we had enough dwarves that it would be worth it to lose some to inflict disproportionate casualties. Other than that, there's no rules except no modding.

The best strategy would probably be to increase our numbers via fortresses on islands inaccessible to goblins. Since our migrants can still get anywhere regardless of water (hopefully) we could raise our population there, build massive, danger-room-trained hordes and invade the coastline. That way we wouldn't loose dwarves very quickly to the AI, because as soon as we set foot on the mainland the AI will start reclaiming forts and our population will bleed out in numerous wars.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 29, 2014, 11:53:03 am »

Except you can't embark as dwarves in a world without dwarves. There'd have to be dwarves at the start that went extinct.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 29, 2014, 12:05:00 pm »

Dwarves on an island.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 74