Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 103753 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #300 on: March 18, 2013, 11:26:44 am »

Are we going to allow Dwarf hack r3? AdvFort is awesome for this. You can make sealed forts that need to be digged to enter and
lots of neat things.
I don't think so.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 18, 2013, 12:05:50 pm »

Against the rules or not, there's not a whole lot you can do to keep people from using DFhack as long as they're discrete about it. There are very few things (if any) you can do in DFhack that would noticeably break the game for other players.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 18, 2013, 01:16:36 pm »

Anyways, what's the worst that can happen with DFHack?
Never really used it, apart from the Stonesense.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 18, 2013, 01:38:04 pm »

Some things like Tiletypes have a risk of corrupting the save. Also, adv-fort isn't well understood yet, we need time to make sure it doesn't have any serious bugs or side effects. And who knows how current df-hack programs might bug out in the next version, what with all the changes to the game code? We'll have to wait for them to come up with another version.

That said, this world (or possibly the no-holds-barred secondary tiny one) would be a perfect opportunity to test hacking in the new version. Make sure to distinguish between hacking and modding.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 18, 2013, 02:07:18 pm »

Also, we need giant robotic dragons and the like.
I really need to get around making this mod already...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 18, 2013, 02:12:55 pm »

I think it's generally best to discourage the use of DFhack, but obviously it has it's uses, which may not be easily detectable. Not like DFhack will be available for quite a while.

And giant robotic dragons? An unnecessary detail. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

numptykiller

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 18, 2013, 03:16:08 pm »

Im with you man. were do I sign ;)

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 18, 2013, 04:59:58 pm »

I mainly use Dwarfhack for the ingame labor menu.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 18, 2013, 06:03:33 pm »

And giant robotic dragons? An unnecessary detail. :P

>Unnecessary detail
>Dwarf Fortress.

Excuse me?
FYI, I'm NOT to be associated with 4chan/9gag/similar entity.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 18, 2013, 07:48:27 pm »

Modding the raws during your turn should be allowed, or at the very least adding to them in a separate 'txt' so you can, say, get your dwarves to suddenly invent robot dragons, or bring a "last of their kind" outsider hero into being.

Then again I can't remember if you can add workshop interactions after world generation.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:57:56 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 18, 2013, 08:22:25 pm »

Modding the raws during your turn should be allowed, or at the very least adding to them in a separate 'txt' so you can, say, get your dwarves to suddenly invent robot dragons, or bring a "last of their kind" outsider hero into being.

Then again I can't remember if you can add workshop interactions after world generation.

You can't add anything during play, you can only alter existing things. You could replace the raws under one creature entry with those of another, but the new creature would have to be in the same place in the file and use the same id as the original. And anything syndrome causing, if someone is currently affected by that syndrome, cannot be changed. Robot dragons should be reserved for the alternate "wacky" save.

New dfhack features are available RIGHT NOW, so now is the time to test them, not waiting for next release to build a mod around them.

Let me clear up a misconception some may be holding: "world gen" continuing during and after play does not mean it generates a new world in the middle of an existing one using whatever new raws you've added, it only, and I mean only, means that history continues.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 18, 2013, 09:27:33 pm »

You can't add anything during play, you can only alter existing things. You could replace the raws under one creature entry with those of another, but the new creature would have to be in the same place in the file and use the same id as the original. And anything syndrome causing, if someone is currently affected by that syndrome, cannot be changed. Robot dragons should be reserved for the alternate "wacky" save.
In that case, it'd be quite simple to leave a bunch of placeholders in the testworld rawfolder prior to worldgen, that can later be modified on the player's whim. :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 10:04:51 pm by Spish »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 18, 2013, 10:19:19 pm »

In that case, it'd be quite simple to leave a bunch of placeholders in the testworld rawfolder prior to worldgen, that can later be modified on the player's whim. :)

Yes, especially with reactions. But I say this should be reserved for the no-rules world, else we might run the risk of someone doing something save-corrupting with the main game. Which is entirely possible, if you edit the raws of a world in progress.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 18, 2013, 10:28:31 pm »

If someone were to irreversibly corrupt the world with bad modding, it'd be their own problem. We'd probably just rollback to the previous save, thus undoing their contribution entirely.

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 18, 2013, 11:17:12 pm »

As someone familiar with bugs and such, not all bugs may be obvious with the raws and they may go unnoticed or undetected for several turns and only becomes game breaking later on like during a necro siege.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 74