Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Talk about timing.  (Read 3956 times)

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Talk about timing.
« on: December 31, 2012, 09:37:35 pm »

And politically hilarious dwarven rumors ensue in the 8 Worldly mountain home dynasties. The outpost liaison and accompanying caravans arrive for the latest news in the Dwarf City of Cunningcopper, (established in 136 by the expedition group The Creation of Martyrs)

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Apparently the administraitors Morul, Mistem, Id, Tulon and Libash decided to commemorate the late Martyr duke Kivish Roderdeduk's defiant acceptance of life as a pauper til the end by putting a puppy falls show for every dwarf to see.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Morul: This'll be a wake-up call for those pesky craftsdwarfs who failed to procure a crystal glass window in my office for sure!

Libash: Yes, and it will be a chance for me and my team to shine bright in our surgeon careers!

Id: But think of the potential management hell that will ensue with all the broken up furniture and dwarves! I'll have to file individual orders for new crutches and glass tables and thrones!

All the dwarves in the meeting give the manager a fierce leer.

Tulon: T'only reason yer still a manager is that ya was the only adept at organizing that was not a vampire.

Mistem: Hey hey, while we're at it, let's commemorate this grand display of tragedy to the victims of that terrible dwarven bloodsucker triad that formed within our establishment. And let's keep it discreet like, yeh? Just announce that we ought to put some random glass statues in the dining room in honor of the fallen.

All dwarves: Agreed. *mumbles* terrible day.

So it has been decided to put a 10 z-level tall ladder from where the puppies will fall with the waterfall into the dining room. All the dwarves assembled around for a seemingly normal official party - not like those around the well with a few kin here and there - no a large meeting to be remembered, whether they like it or not.

Unbeknownst to them, a caravan arrived in late fall without any guards reporting it, considering no one was on detail. Also what was unpredictable was that the freezing season came early. Oh one could not imagine the faces of the dwarf merchants that came rolling in to the Depot and then witnessing the young canines plummeting to a more solid death!

Sooo long story short, I did not anticipate that 10 puppies would actually fall down to the ice that formed as water gushed out of the waterfall. A trifle of giggles came late after witnessing that myself. Tis only a small thing, but it came rather unexpected, but well received after a year of tedious glass block orders. And I got something to wait for after a few months when the water starts to flow again! For now, business as usual. . . Oh here comes the management migraines!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:47:13 pm by Bartholomew The Pious »
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
Re: Talk about timing.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 11:22:47 pm »

Wow just wow... A true telling of an epic about puppies falling onto a premature frozen block of ice. Good show.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 03:37:28 am »

Wow just wow... A true telling of an epic about puppies falling onto a premature frozen block of ice. Good show.
Why thank you for that more than enough compliment, just a simple retelling of something more simple. Just to add a bit of zest, I made the staircase up to the puppies death out of bloodthorn logs. I really was planning on making everyone traumatized so they can in effect work more efficient later on - if not suddenly tantrum spiral. But that won't happen once my set of glass furniture starts rollin' out!
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 01:07:03 pm »

This is why I love Dwarf Fortress. Thank you good sir.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 06:56:11 pm »

Could you time this so that you could have Dwarven diving?

A long chute filled with water, at the very bottom lies a decompression chamber and a ramp out underground.

The chute is open to a temperate biome above ground, and just before the season changes all the contestants jump into the pool.

All who make it out the ramp are free to go, all those who fail drown/freeze and the late comers faceplant on some ice.

Hmm... Trial by ice. Fun for all the goblins.

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 05:34:53 pm »

Could you time this so that you could have Dwarven diving?

A long chute filled with water, at the very bottom lies a decompression chamber and a ramp out underground.

The chute is open to a temperate biome above ground, and just before the season changes all the contestants jump into the pool.

All who make it out the ramp are free to go, all those who fail drown/freeze and the late comers faceplant on some ice.

Hmm... Trial by ice. Fun for all the goblins.
Yes indeed, fun for them greenies. And even more fun-turned-irony when the escapees has to gauntlet their way out through a hallway decked with marksdwarfs behind fortifications! Hmm sounds like it can be worth it. I'll consider this at least.