Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 188

Author Topic: (Un)Holy Powers(OOC)  (Read 182589 times)

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: (Un)Holy Powers(OOC)
« Reply #2235 on: January 27, 2013, 02:51:05 pm »

I agree with GWG that upkeep for followers is odd. Our magic users, fine the make sense, keeping our existence, also good, Humans that are not using our power and no one made, What? Why?.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: January 27, 2013, 02:51:40 pm »

Oh my bad, too many names that start with A, I guess.

Speaking of our working relationship, I wonder if the goblins built any housing yet.  The update mentioned the mines and the lumber which is good but I might have to see about putting in an order for housing again or maybe a dark fortress if we want to go the traditional route.  If we did go with the fortress, I could see about mounting the walls with lightning cannons which is one of the projects I've been working on.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: January 27, 2013, 02:55:20 pm »

How did I help out Azaroth again? He helped out me in a big way I know that...

You granted all allied fae knowledge of where to find valuable minerals or something like that.

Also, I'm going to try and develop a new method of magic to teach to my followers.  It involves them draining energy from their surroundings or from other living creatures to gain magic and cast spells.  This should allow us to have more magic users running around and helping achieve our goals without anyone having to invest upkeep to give someone powers.  It also allows a mortal to cast magic while still worshiping a deity.

The magic would have two flavors: Pure Magic and Death Magic.  Pure Magic is gained from a mortal draining heat energy from their surroundings and is quicker and easier to use.  Death Magic is when the caster drains energy from something living to cast more powerful spells that they would not normally be able to cast with Pure Magic.  Death Magic would be less useful in combat and more useful for rituals because it would require living things to be brought in and sacrificed to fuel the spells.  Also we would try and use Death Magic less often due to the loss of life and use animals or plants instead of people for the sacrifices as much as possible.

Only a select few mortals will be taught this magic, and if they abuse it or use it in ways we find offensive, they will be executed.  These mages will be kept under very close watch and most likely be elite followers that go around taking care of business and carrying out the most difficult assignments.

Oh and Fae cannon fodder? ???

Azaroth is a Devil.

Alrezar is the Fae with lots of similar letters.

Azaroth broke Jbygs siege and I...can't think of anything I did to help him.

I helped Alrezar a lot. And he built me a temple. Which was never even mentioned by the GM. I want details about that Dwarven Caravan later too.

You and me have a good working relationship.
Actually, the temple is being built now. It's for the entire pantheon, and the reason that I didn't get it last turn was because I was out searching for the ill-fated adventuring party. And If I'm right, the caravan should be arriving this turn.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: January 27, 2013, 02:55:50 pm »

Is that goblin chief still alive? I have plans for him. I'll give him the Golden Touch or something.

These goblins seem to have more morals than your average run of the mill DF goblin.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:00:00 pm by Vgray »

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: January 27, 2013, 03:12:15 pm »

Well so far, they've only been against "trapped souls," which includes some variants of golems as well as necromancy I suppose.  They do like money though, so that's good and I'm sure the Golden Touch would be much appreciated.  Maybe instead of just giving it to the goblin chief, let me go through the goblins and find those most loyal to us.  The most loyal of all will receive your golden touch as well as be the first person for me to teach magic to.  The others will receive leadership roles as chieftains and be possible candidates for future magical training.

Yeah, no one has voiced any complaints about me making that new form of magic so I'm going to go ahead with it, just so you all know.
Sure thing peanut man!

Inithis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Riftborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: January 27, 2013, 03:16:30 pm »

I would ask you to include some kind of fail-safe in the creatures that receive the magic, perhaps some kind of bomb or a tiny wound that would kill them lest we heal it.
He immediately begins to beavergoat the man quite thoroughly! At the very beginning, the man is mystified by James' actions, but his face quickly becomes a mask of horror when the procedure starts!

"OH GODS WHY? WHYYY?"

After a twenty minute session, the man is left white as a sheet, hairless and completely and utterly dead. James congratulates himself on a job well done!

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: January 27, 2013, 03:23:53 pm »

I can bind them such that we may turn the powers of those who abuse this magic inward. Violently.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: January 27, 2013, 03:25:38 pm »

I would ask you to include some kind of fail-safe in the creatures that receive the magic, perhaps some kind of bomb or a tiny wound that would kill them lest we heal it.

The magic they use would be much less powerful than the magic we powers can use.  I don't want to implant any bombs into my followers, but I will certainly keep a tight leash on them.  Only a few will be taught the art, perhaps about 5-9 and any who decide they don't have to obey me will have to face down the might of my armies, hopefully along with an imp or two from Vgray.

Racnor's suggestion is an option though.  Perhaps we can work together on developing this new form of magic?
Sure thing peanut man!

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: January 27, 2013, 03:28:12 pm »

Okay. It combines well with my own plans.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: January 27, 2013, 03:28:24 pm »

It's not that your followers are stealing your mana. It's that you are made from the existence of people who believe in you. Basically, a portion of their minds is always focused on you, and you are the power of that collective portion. The upkeep is supposed to make it so that once we get to 200 some population, you don't all have fuck-tons of mana. Which you will probably have anyways.

Draco, the reason you had so little worship is twofold; one, I didn't realize what my upkeep increase would change completely, and so did not correct it with an equal amount of lowering followers for devils/increasing for gods. And also mortals are ungrateful bastards.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: January 27, 2013, 07:27:08 pm »

I agree with GWG that upkeep for followers is odd. Our magic users, fine the make sense, keeping our existence, also good, Humans that are not using our power and no one made, What? Why?.
If it was needed for game balance, I'd understand that, but it actually ruins game balance...

It's not that your followers are stealing your mana. It's that you are made from the existence of people who believe in you. Basically, a portion of their minds is always focused on you, and you are the power of that collective portion. The upkeep is supposed to make it so that once we get to 200 some population, you don't all have fuck-tons of mana. Which you will probably have anyways.
You're aware that another solution would be to give fae more mana rather than taxing the gods into oblivion, right?

Draco, the reason you had so little worship is twofold; one, I didn't realize what my upkeep increase would change completely, and so did not correct it with an equal amount of lowering followers for devils/increasing for gods. And also mortals are ungrateful bastards.
SO WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!
The way I look at it, I'm screwed. I need to get more mana to avoid dying. I've already been doing about everything I can that doesn't cost mana to attract more people to my religion, short of forcing people to worship me, and my only source of mana is worshipers. Therefore, I am stuck; without mana, I can't get mana, and I don't have any spare mana to give. What do I do? Conquer a city and enforce my religion or give up or what?
...Screw it, I'm going to do my miracle if I can't get mana. I've been wanting to do it ALL game, and there's only one way I can get the mana. It would leave the Synod without a secretary, most likely, but who cares at this point?

Spoiler: The Synod (click to show/hide)
[/quote]
[/quote]
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: January 27, 2013, 07:37:12 pm »

First off, you calm down, and not freak out over not having spare mana, or the possibility of going to sleep. Jebyg's gone to sleep, twice now. And he's doing...well, he's doing meh for a god of war who just got repelled from a siege.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: January 27, 2013, 07:57:31 pm »

Difference: He knew what he was doing, and had a way out of it.
My predicament is almost/entirely due to a sudden change in the rules, and barring some unexplained massive wave of conversion to me despite me cutting off all healing miracles, I'm not getting to wake up.

Yeah, I'm a bit sore about that change...
It doesn't help that there's no logical reason why we're being charged the mana in the first place.
Yeah, I get it. You want us to join pantheons or battle over followers. Great. I'll be sure to do that. I'll work with others and such. Oh, wait, I've been working with most of the other Powers, leading to multiple large plans and at least one important decision which has come to fruition (dAIDS), and lack the mana to collaborate with anyone, as well as not having any enemies to fight or troops to fight them with.

I'm a bit annoyed. How do I get out of this? I don't need answers, just proof that answers exist.

Spoiler: The Synod (click to show/hide)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: January 27, 2013, 08:00:32 pm »

Get a pantheon!!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: January 27, 2013, 08:02:18 pm »

I'm going to fix it. Sort of like a patch. May have some weird shit going on resulting in mass migrations of people. And me figuring out how many followers exist, and whether there are more or less than people in the world.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 188