Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1777934 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10830 on: March 11, 2014, 12:59:15 am »

Gotta have some threat after you've cleared out an area.  It would get really really boring if the most dangerous thing to show up was a z-dog.  Though even zombie bears fall easily after you clear a few blocks of zeds with a quarterstaff and you get enough melee and bashing skill that they turn into a game of whack-a-bear.

Same could be said of everything though.  Well, maybe not Jabberwoks, haven't tried beating them to death Little John style yet.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10831 on: March 11, 2014, 01:04:16 am »

Speaking of safe, how do animals spawn in consideration to buildings. I haven't for instance noticed animals spawned in completely closed rooms though I might have just missed them. Is this an actual thing where they are not spawning in a closed room situation and if so how does the game detect said closed rooms.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10832 on: March 11, 2014, 01:34:26 am »

Speaking of safe, how do animals spawn in consideration to buildings. I haven't for instance noticed animals spawned in completely closed rooms though I might have just missed them. Is this an actual thing where they are not spawning in a closed room situation and if so how does the game detect said closed rooms.
Nothing dynamic will spawn inside... ever.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10833 on: March 11, 2014, 01:36:45 am »

I'm thinking that they can only spawn where they can path to from the nearest adjacent map tile. I mean, that'd make the most sense.

Though I wonder - can zombies please use pathfinding that guides them around cars, rather than through them? They're smart enough not to try and chew through concrete walls, and smart enough not to keep trying to get through a wire fence they can see you through once you've opened a door for them. Surely they would be able to get around a car. Gathering up and shaping hordes is hard enough as it is without bits getting snagged on various car-casses on the street.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10834 on: March 11, 2014, 02:13:19 am »

So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Whelp. There goes sleep. And health. And a tooth.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10835 on: March 11, 2014, 02:18:17 am »

Whats that quote? You want in my sig? Why of course you can come in!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10836 on: March 11, 2014, 02:23:49 am »

So the mansion-squirrels have been fixed?

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10837 on: March 11, 2014, 02:45:18 am »

So the mansion-squirrels have been fixed?
   Would be nice though depending on how it was done it may be more or less useful. If it actually checks for your space being an enclosure I would have to guess it has some limits to the size but easier to setup. On the other hand if its just having a roof over a square then you could have an enclosure as big as you want as long as you don't mind taking the time to roof it all.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10838 on: March 11, 2014, 03:53:01 am »

Welp getting back into this.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10839 on: March 11, 2014, 09:24:04 am »

A day ago i ran into a zombie as i didn't wanted to waste my shotgun on it, i switched to my combat knife , got into the house that had 2 broken windows tiles next to each other and waited until the zombie moved into one of those broken window tile to fight.

I pressed the wrong key and instead of moving/attacking the zombie, i moved to the other broken window tile, losing stupidly some turns in which the zombie attacked and managed to badly bite my character letting a deep wound before i killed it.

As i had no 1st aid kit, i started to explore more of the town until i got some and managed to deal with the bad wound, on my status effect i was "recovering from infection"

Now as accidental key pressing could happen again, i decided to wait at night (to take advantage of my night vision) and explore the unsafe part of the town to gather more 1st aid kits, avoiding zombies helped by the night.

With a bad luck i entered a house, only to find it filled with zombie dogs !
1st time i see that , and noticed that my retreat was cut from me as another zombie dog just came from the door i lockpicked..

I decided to use my mossberg shotgun as the situation was desesperate for knife fight.
After several shots i managed to kill all those zombie dogs, but unfortunately not before getting badly hurt in my arms, with again deep wounds that hint about infection.

Damn.
As the heavy noise triggered lots of activity outside, i decided to flee by a window in the opposite of the house , and fortunately managed to lose the zombies in the night.

I resumed exploration but couldn't find more 1st aid kits and the wounds were started to go swollen and my character tired (and the pain preventing him to sleep). On the good side i found enough material to actually make some 1st aid kits myself.
And so i started, each time i completed a kit i applied it on one of my infected arms

after the 7th 1st aid kit applied (+bandages+antibiotics+aspirins) , no sign of one of the arms getting better, they're always infected and always painful enough to prevent sleep.

Is there something to do or is that character just going to die and i should just reroll one instead of waiting boringly ?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10840 on: March 11, 2014, 09:31:59 am »

Once they are infected, first aid kits won't help. First aid will clean the wound to prevent infection, but once it's set in (the limb status turns deep green), you are basically screwed unless you find some antibiotics.

On a side note, a character I made for some tileset testing managed to spawn on the side of a town... with two gunstores right on the edge of a somewhat desolate area, and another gunstore a little north.
He's now a little like a walking armory. Or a walking armoire. Though I ran out of all shotgun ammo save beanbags clearing that part of town for safer exploration... (using size 10 towns)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 09:35:00 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10841 on: March 11, 2014, 09:34:22 am »

Cauterize it.  Use a cutting tool to cauterize a wound, which will consume a match or lighter charge as well, causing IMMENSE pain, but allowing you to clean wounds and even infections with some luck.

My character is currently an armored golem in Heavy Survivor Suit, but I still get the rare hit that causes a bite wound and simply don't notice until it's infected, and so far cauterizing has worked.  Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries before succeeding.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10842 on: March 11, 2014, 09:52:11 am »

Once they are infected, first aid kits won't help. First aid will clean the wound to prevent infection, but once it's set in (the limb status turns deep green), you are basically screwed unless you find some antibiotics.

Are you sure in the game it's not helping ? because the odd thing is that the "recovering from infections" from the accidental "window battle" happened after i used the 1st aid kits i found, i had not taken any antibiotic at the time.

Now i have taken some antibiotics for the zombie dog horde battle, after the manufacturing of the many 1st aid kits i applied without success, still no "recovering from infection" message, making me wonder if it's too late (it's been only a few ingame hours)

Cauterize it.  Use a cutting tool to cauterize a wound, which will consume a match or lighter charge as well, causing IMMENSE pain, but allowing you to clean wounds and even infections with some luck.
Thanks, i'll give a try to this, hopefully it will help where 1st aid/bandage/aspirin/antibiotics seems to not do anything.

On another note, i noticed my save folder is now having more than a thousand of files ?

As i am settled on a small part of the world that i intend to clear from threat, i have not explored much of my world, so are we back at the original save method from the old Cataclysm in which if you explored the world your saved game exploded into several dozen of thousands of files , making it painful for file transfering / fragmentation ?

edit : oh joy, i was wondering why my combat knife near a fire wasn't letting me having the option to cauterize when i activated it, and i noticed on my @ status effect that the "Infected" mention had disappeared ! there's only the "recovering from infection" left there.

I guess something worked , just with more delay than i thought.

Though the wounds are still painful and swollen, regularly taking aspirin to get the level of pain under control and avoid getting too much malus to hit/run/etc...

14 days of survival, my character is starting to get good skills (and thanks to the many books gathered, he should be able to craft/build many things to keep him busy)

Now i hope the zombear season will not trigger again, though with my mossberg i am now confident i could take them out without the bush/shrub/borken window tactics.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:35:48 am by Robsoie »

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10843 on: March 11, 2014, 10:36:30 am »

Blue bodypart means it still has a chance for infection, a deep cute/bite. When it turns green you are almost screwed over, need antibiotics or cauterizing (I never personally tried to cauterize an infected wound). When it is blue (ie. fresh) then go to your knife, activate, select cauterize, choose bodypart. Will cause extreme pain as mentioned above, and may take a few tries. Keep doing so until blue is gone.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10844 on: March 11, 2014, 10:46:17 am »

Some information.

On spawning - it checks if a tile is "inside", i.e. if it has a roof. If it does, it won't spawn anything there dynamically. No enclosure checking is actually done.

On 1st aid - there are no antibiotics in a first aid kit, so it doesn't help with infection, only feel bite wounds.

On infection/bite - it can heal on its own, but the majority of times happen during the bite stage.

On cauterization - it only helps with bite wounds, not infected ones. It only has a chance of success, and can actually make your wounds much worse if it fails (since in real life cauterization is fairly worthless against infection).

On save files - we recently moved to a modularized map system, so it saves/loads in many small chunks rather then one huge file, granting a huge speed up in saving/loading times (and removing the old map size limits)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:49:10 am by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 1086