Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1777647 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12735 on: August 03, 2014, 01:35:12 am »

Nope, it's right outside, in the sun, between my base and the adjacent river.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12736 on: August 03, 2014, 02:54:08 am »

Sure it's a solar panel and not a solar cell?

Are the solar panel and battery on the same tile? If so maybe giving them their own frames, or vice versa?

Do you need a specific type of battery?

When looking at a car, the roof is on the same tile as a seat. Does the game maybe read one as "above" the other, making your solar panel underneath the frame?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12737 on: August 03, 2014, 03:30:06 am »

Adding an adjacent frame and another solar cell seemed to do it. Maybe there's an issue with only one panel and only one battery in the same tile or something. No idea... that was weird.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12738 on: August 03, 2014, 07:38:51 am »

What a derail. Let me help.

In real life, police often fire shotguns at locks and hinges to open doors. Why can't we do that in Cataclysm? Sure, it would be impractically noisy compared to just smashing it down, but in my opinion, well worth it in those few cases I'd actually do it.

IIRC the breaching shotguns are a specialized tool in itself. Also, you can totally do that already. Just take your shotgun, aim at the door and shoot. It should take about two shots, which is about as many as you'd actually need to breach the door by blasting off the hinges.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12739 on: August 03, 2014, 07:45:52 am »

Adding an adjacent frame and another solar cell seemed to do it. Maybe there's an issue with only one panel and only one battery in the same tile or something. No idea... that was weird.

IMHO, the problem was that if you used a single solar panel (and only rarely had sunny days) it generated not enough power for the battery to fill up to 1%. I'm not sure how much energy a single cell provides on a sunny day, but storage batteries are pretty big (having a capacity of 100,000 normal batteries), so you may just have stayed under 1% power (so anything under 100 battery charges).

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12740 on: August 03, 2014, 10:34:12 am »

IMHO, the problem was that if you used a single solar panel (and only rarely had sunny days) it generated not enough power for the battery to fill up to 1%. I'm not sure how much energy a single cell provides on a sunny day, but storage batteries are pretty big (having a capacity of 100,000 normal batteries), so you may just have stayed under 1% power (so anything under 100 battery charges).

That's possible I guess, but it's really strange that 3 sunny days with one panel failed to budge, but two hours after i added the second panel the needle moved to 4%. I suppose this calls for sciencing the next time I can make a run to town and cannibalize more car parts.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12741 on: August 03, 2014, 04:42:55 pm »

When I was younger and still went hunting due to pressure from my dad to share his interests despite his utter refusal to share my own, I preferred duck hunting. To be honest I preferred duck hunting because I was a chubby little cherub of a kid, and the other option of pheasant hunting required trying to keep up with an adult who would not slow down. It also meant I could take a nap by the lakeside while 'duck hunting.'

One of the ducks I shot was when my dad was walking about pheasant hunting. I knocked it down and it began swimming away from me. While it had landed about fifty yards away from me or so, it managed to swim to 100 yards while I shot and reloaded birdshot. After hesitating which allowed it to swim a dozen yards away or so I shot probably twenty or thirty shells at it after it hit the water, the pellets sending up a fine splash all around the unfortunate bird after I started aiming slightly above it. After it was about 100 yards away one of the pellets must have killed it because it finally stopped swimming.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12742 on: August 03, 2014, 04:56:34 pm »

It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12743 on: August 03, 2014, 04:59:00 pm »

-snip-
...Did I miss something?
Duuvian's just talking about his experiences in the spin-off prequel roguelike, Not Cataclysm: Dark Days Way, Way Ahead.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12744 on: August 03, 2014, 05:18:33 pm »

When I was younger and still went hunting due to pressure from my dad to share his interests despite his utter refusal to share my own, I preferred duck hunting. To be honest I preferred duck hunting because I was a chubby little cherub of a kid, and the other option of pheasant hunting required trying to keep up with an adult who would not slow down. It also meant I could take a nap by the lakeside while 'duck hunting.'

One of the ducks I shot was when my dad was walking about pheasant hunting. I knocked it down and it began swimming away from me. While it had landed about fifty yards away from me or so, it managed to swim to 100 yards while I shot and reloaded birdshot. After hesitating which allowed it to swim a dozen yards away or so I shot probably twenty or thirty shells at it after it hit the water, the pellets sending up a fine splash all around the unfortunate bird after I started aiming slightly above it. After it was about 100 yards away one of the pellets must have killed it because it finally stopped swimming.

...?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12745 on: August 03, 2014, 05:20:56 pm »

It was a response to the argument about range of shotguns on previous pages one page back.

Also re-reading it, by interests I mean we don't share any of the same hobbies not that my dad never showed interest in my well being.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:57:46 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12746 on: August 03, 2014, 07:18:40 pm »

Ohhhhh.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12747 on: August 03, 2014, 08:17:37 pm »

Aww, I hoped it was changing focus from boring old zombies :(  "Cataclysm:  Duck Days Ahead".

I guess they could still add Zucks...

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #12748 on: August 03, 2014, 08:43:00 pm »

He was just pointing out the necessity of having a choke when shooting shot ;)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12749 on: August 03, 2014, 08:54:22 pm »

Aww, I hoped it was changing focus from boring old zombies :(  "Cataclysm:  Duck Days Ahead".

I guess they could still add Zucks...

Zuck hordes should be scarier than bears. Maybe make them temporarily stun you when they bite, so you die a slow, painful death of mass duckzuck biting.
Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 1086