Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1777530 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7065 on: September 30, 2013, 02:02:12 pm »

I have returned.

Light survivor suit: Can be fitted. Reinforced with a soldering iron/kevlar plates, (hard to do, but means it's likely durable). It is rainproof.

[snip]

Dogs:
I imagine they'd only be useful around a base, or if one scavenges primarily in lightly-populated areas/has a low spawn density. Otherwise the dogs'd just get mobbed after kamikaze-charging.
Also, can they indeed be tamed?

Sounds pretty handy. I'll have to go ahead and make one.

As for dogs, I know they could be tamed at least in .6. Haven't tried in .8 yet.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7066 on: September 30, 2013, 02:06:49 pm »

Yipes, this thread has gotten hard to follow.
"Just to play devil's advocate here..."
...I'm the devil? 0_0... (´)
Anyway, I poked at the collision code, and while it's not perfect, my testing doesn't have vehicles (even as small as a regular car) getting hung up on bushes at anything above 10MPh.  Also shock damage from impact falls off exponentially with distance from the impact, so a plow type structure jutting forward from the vehicle would work as desired.

The M249 turret was broken by a data conversion we did a while back, there's a PR pending for it that fixes it.  It basically lost it's cargo space it needs for ammo.
The plasma gun works, but needs a hydrogen tank with hydrogen stocked to work.
The fusion turret is currently broken pending hooking it up to a storage battery and giveing it cargo space for fusion cells.
Flamethrower never stopped working I think.
I'll update all the vehicle turret descriptions to outline how the handle ammo since it's not obvious.

NPCs are still fairly broken, but GlyphGryph has declared next month to be the "month of the NPC" and is rallying people to work on them.  We've made the very difficult decision to abandon the current NPC codebase, it's so messed up it's discouraging people from working on it, so we're making a fresh start.  We have a low-level design in place to unify various aspects of monsters/NPCs/PCs and specialize them where they're different, and GlyphGryph has started on it.

Someone asked about flaming weapons transitively lighting buildings on fire via zombies.  Burning monsters don't currently light their surroundings on fire.  I looked into this a while back and it didn't seem to be worth the trouble because even very tough monsters would drop within a turn or two once lit on fire, so the prospects for them spreading fire were very poor.

Random side note: I have an Orange-Wing Amazon named Menchi.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7067 on: September 30, 2013, 02:14:43 pm »

To be fair, it's somewhat misleading to say that you're playing devil's advocate when you're espousing what amounts to an uncontested majority opinion.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: September 30, 2013, 02:18:09 pm »

Trying 0.8 after some month of not playing Cataclysm and wow, this game is hard??
Why can't I go anywhere near a town without beign rushed by 1000 zombies? :D

I mean, how do you even survive a little bit? Where do you find your stuff 'the safe way'?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7069 on: September 30, 2013, 02:24:46 pm »

Very slowly, with a crowbar bushes, wreckage, windows, and a good pair of running shoes for when the specials come out to play.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7070 on: September 30, 2013, 02:32:17 pm »

Also crafting every opportunity. Can get a lot from a little.

(plus options are very liberal in how much control we get. It doesn't have to be as hard (or easy) as it is by default)
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: September 30, 2013, 02:40:09 pm »

1000 zombies? I find that hard to believe unless you adjusted the spawn density setting...
Unless there's a bug no one has reported where it isn't set to 1.0? :P
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7072 on: September 30, 2013, 02:47:13 pm »

Human Nature: Making the apocalypse more horrifying than Eldritch horrors since 10,000 B.C.!

YYyyyyyyeah. Remember that 'awful thing' I mentioned anticipating? Turns out I was right, and it was four fucking rabid NPCs. I actually fled by setting the forest behind me on fire, but a spider topped it off. Although I save-scummed back to an earlier save. Oh yeah, and I was killed because I had to make a raid to obtain a GODDAMN LIGHTER/MATCHBOOK. There needs to be a way to make flint and steel or something.

Incidentally, I discovered that your starting matchbook is absurdly powerful if you know how to use it. And I mean ABSURDLY. Kite an enemy on a small tree and use three matches/lighter three times on the tree to turn the tile into a blazing fire. It is enough to kill most enemies. Ordinary zombies, no problemo. Moose? Yup, dead in a single turn. Bear survived the first turn because he was smart enough to escape the flames.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7073 on: September 30, 2013, 02:50:50 pm »

Moose? Yup, dead in a single turn.

My god, that's game-breaking.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: September 30, 2013, 02:52:39 pm »

Human Nature: Making the apocalypse more horrifying than Eldritch horrors since 10,000 B.C.!

YYyyyyyyeah. Remember that 'awful thing' I mentioned anticipating? Turns out I was right, and it was four fucking rabid NPCs. I actually fled by setting the forest behind me on fire, but a spider topped it off. Although I save-scummed back to an earlier save. Oh yeah, and I was killed because I had to make a raid to obtain a GODDAMN LIGHTER/MATCHBOOK. There needs to be a way to make flint and steel or something.

Isn't that what a fire-stick does, effectively?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7075 on: September 30, 2013, 02:55:16 pm »

Trying 0.8 after some month of not playing Cataclysm and wow, this game is hard??
Why can't I go anywhere near a town without beign rushed by 1000 zombies? :D

I mean, how do you even survive a little bit? Where do you find your stuff 'the safe way'?

You can switch back to dynamic respawn in the menu.

Generally, I find that static spawn isn't too hard, but I started with static so I expect progress to be slow. If you're used to being able to race in, dodge zombies, and grab interesting loot without systematically clearing the town section by section it's a little different. Mostly because... you can't do that, you'll run into a brute, hulk, spitter, or bathroom moose very quickly. You have to be patient and procedural. Start by crafting a crude weapon from the shelter - a nail board or a knife spear are both excellent, though a garden variety pipe has the largest +hit of the beginner weapons - then find a remote section of suburb to start clearing. Throw things at the zombies, then kite them into bushes and saplings to slow them down while you batter them to pieces. Once you get your melee, piercing/bashing, thrown/firearms, and pistols/rifles/archery skills up you can clear the city with impunity - I routinely engage groups of a dozen or more zombies all at once, smashing windows out of buildings to get their attention and slaughter them en mass.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've used all three. You're right, the are good. I just prefer to have the best for when things go bad, because let's be honest - when things go bad, they go very bad. Metal arrows also have a phenomenal retrieval rate, a set of 10 will last you for a very long time and can be easily replaced. Nothing wrong with heavy wooden arrows, I just prefer the added security of knowing that if I really need something dead, I have the best tools available at my disposal. When things don't go bad, plastic arrows are good enough that they're a decent compromise between power and weight. It's a playstyle choice.

Incidentally, I discovered that your starting matchbook is absurdly powerful if you know how to use it. And I mean ABSURDLY. Kite an enemy on a small tree and use three matches/lighter three times on the tree to turn the tile into a blazing fire. It is enough to kill most enemies. Ordinary zombies, no problemo. Moose? Yup, dead in a single turn. Bear survived the first turn because he was smart enough to escape the flames.

I think you can make a friction fire starter at higher survival levels. Not really beginner gear though, that's why they give you matches.

Personally, I don't mind zombies being mindless and walking right into flames, they're a mob predator. Moose and bears should be actively avoiding bushes and trees. Spiders will naturally navigate diagonally around bushes, they're basically unkiteable. I don't think the fire is overpowered, I think the moose and bear AI needs to be slightly upgraded to avoid the more dangerous scenario.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:57:47 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7076 on: September 30, 2013, 02:56:32 pm »

Isn't that what a fire-stick does, effectively?
Yeah, there are already several different ways of crafting fire production tools, with better ones available as your survival skill increases.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: September 30, 2013, 03:00:48 pm »

Personally, I don't mind zombies being mindless and walking right into flames, they're a mob predator. Moose and bears should be actively avoiding bushes and trees. Spiders will naturally navigate diagonally around bushes, they're basically unkiteable. I don't think the fire is overpowered, I think the moose and bear AI needs to be slightly upgraded to avoid the more dangerous scenario.

If you cannot kill a spider that way, you must exercise your inner pyromaniac some more. Given that lighters have 100 uses and are pretty light, you can make a ring of fire around yourself and the spider will be only able to pick between one tile on fire or the other.

Incidentally, it's interesting how warm clothes can only heat you up. A lot of layers should insulate you against the heat, too.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7078 on: September 30, 2013, 03:08:12 pm »

bathroom moose
Hey, at least you're near the bathroom.
Question: can one close doors?

ARROWS!
Hmm, maybe I was just unlucky, but my first stack of metal arrows felt like wooden or worse. Downright fragile, they seemed.
Badges of honor

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: September 30, 2013, 03:38:51 pm »

I'm really not having the same moose problem that everyone else seems to be having. They do a fair bit of damage but no 1-shot kills for me yet, not unless I play hardcore mode or hardcore + glass jaw headshot.

I tried shooting some with self bow and basic arrows which didn't really work but mr moose hit me like 3 or 4 times before I whipped out Mr Ruger Redhawk and introduced him to Mr Moose's brains. It was a short but messy relationship.

As for vehicles I have noticed getting stuck on bushes some times around 20mph, I don't mind that so much, im just more annoyed with tires exploding easily which leaves you stuck. I do miss the days of being able to drive through buildings. Realism != fun.
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 1086