Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1780061 times)

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7125 on: October 01, 2013, 08:13:17 am »

Yeah, once I got a shopping cart from a grocery store and fit the contents of one military surplus, two grocery stores, six houses, an electronics store and a garage. Plus two military corpse drops.

something needs to get nerfed
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7126 on: October 01, 2013, 08:18:27 am »

NEVER. Hell, give me some rope and four-five trolleys and I'll pull that off in real life.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7127 on: October 01, 2013, 09:23:10 am »

Yeah, once I got a shopping cart from a grocery store and fit the contents of one military surplus, two grocery stores, six houses, an electronics store and a garage. Plus two military corpse drops.

Stores are badly understocked in this game TBH. Grocery stores IRL are HUGE, and not one of the stores in Cataclysm has so much as a 24 pack of bottled water.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7128 on: October 01, 2013, 09:28:07 am »

Stores are badly understocked in this game TBH. Grocery stores IRL are HUGE, and not one of the stores in Cataclysm has so much as a 24 pack of bottled water.
They've been cleared out by panic buying and looting. It explains why people have such an eclectic selection of items in their house and on their persons.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: October 01, 2013, 09:29:15 am »

Yeah. Still not sure why I once found a massive drug dealer corpse drop in the middle of a school, but I was stocked up on enough cocaine to feed my addiction for weeks.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: October 01, 2013, 09:42:27 am »

Unfortunately, my current character was intended to be a throwaway to learn the mechanics of the game, so I took addictive personality. Every time I so much as take a Poppy Painkiller or Caffeine Pill I worry about dependence. *sigh* No chems for me.

Ran into a somewhat annoying bug. Sometimes when I cut things apart with my pocket knife, the rags/leather/plastic get assigned to the same key as the knife, and when I drop them into my cart I drop the knife too.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: October 01, 2013, 09:49:39 am »

Yeah. Still not sure why I once found a massive drug dealer corpse drop in the middle of a school, but I was stocked up on enough cocaine to feed my addiction for weeks.

So, was it like, a fat drug dealer? :P
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: October 01, 2013, 10:17:34 am »

Ran into a somewhat annoying bug. Sometimes when I cut things apart with my pocket knife, the rags/leather/plastic get assigned to the same key as the knife, and when I drop them into my cart I drop the knife too.

This happens frustratingly often. The game just randomly reassigns hotkeys whenever it feels like, whether it needs to or not. Reload sewing kit? New key. Refill water bottle? New key.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: October 01, 2013, 10:58:13 am »

This happens frustratingly often. The game just randomly reassigns hotkeys whenever it feels like, whether it needs to or not. Reload sewing kit? New key. Refill water bottle? New key.

I've ran into fuckyougularity with the hotkeys yesterday. I had to reassign something at least once every fifteen minutes because the game kept assigning one hotkey to two different objects. Most annoying when it assigned the same key to cooked meat and clean water, since I already ate and tried to quench my thirst.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: October 01, 2013, 11:03:11 am »

They've been cleared out by panic buying and looting. It explains why people have such an eclectic selection of items in their house and on their persons.

Yeah, which explains why things like Water and basic food items are gone. Some stuff, though, like salt or sugar or trash bags should be in abundance. These aren't the types of things people grab much of when doing short-term hording. Longer-term looters will grab them later, of course, but that's basically what the player is. The cataclysm happens so fast I doubt many people would have gotten to that point yet by the time the majority of the population is zombies or monster chow.

Also, some items have an absurdly short rot time. I'm talking things like mayonnaise and soup cans. The mayonnaise should have a shelf life of MONTHS, at least, based on the ones I see in my store on a regular basis. And they're not refrigerated at all. Canned soup, likewise, can last a year or two. And yet I've had can of vegetable soup go rotten in just a few weeks in-game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: October 01, 2013, 11:08:28 am »

Yeah, which explains why things like Water and basic food items are gone. Some stuff, though, like salt or sugar or trash bags should be in abundance. These aren't the types of things people grab much of when doing short-term hording. Longer-term looters will grab them later, of course, but that's basically what the player is. The cataclysm happens so fast I doubt many people would have gotten to that point yet by the time the majority of the population is zombies or monster chow.

Also, some items have an absurdly short rot time. I'm talking things like mayonnaise and soup cans. The mayonnaise should have a shelf life of MONTHS, at least, based on the ones I see in my store on a regular basis. And they're not refrigerated at all. Canned soup, likewise, can last a year or two. And yet I've had can of vegetable soup go rotten in just a few weeks in-game.

That's probably because the game treats mayonnaise and vegetable soup the same regardless of whether you made them yourself or looted them. Grocery store foods contain additives that lengthen the shelf life by killing bacteria attacking the food, but without those, mayo is just a big jar of delicious fatty acids for bacteria to chow on.

weegth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: October 01, 2013, 11:20:16 am »

Started playing it yesterday. Really love the game so far, but is there a way to change number of evac shelters or spread them out more? I like how you can play in the same world after previous character dies, but spawning in one of the same 3 places (one of which is a deathtrap) gets a bit repetitive, and too much stuff is already looted.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7137 on: October 01, 2013, 11:21:20 am »

Started playing it yesterday. Really love the game so far, but is there a way to change number of evac shelters or spread them out more? I like how you can play in the same world after previous character dies, but spawning in one of the same 3 places (one of which is a deathtrap) gets a bit repetitive, and too much stuff is already looted.

Restart the world. Next time you play, a new world will be generated.

weegth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: October 01, 2013, 11:25:33 am »

I know, what I was asking is if there is a way to change worldgen options to make more shelters/farther away shelters.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: October 01, 2013, 11:36:22 am »

I know, what I was asking is if there is a way to change worldgen options to make more shelters/farther away shelters.

AFAIK, no, but they really shouldn't be few and bunched together. Reset might help for that.
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 1086