Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1779912 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7140 on: October 01, 2013, 11:42:00 am »

You can increase the number of shelters by moving to the edge of a map, once you reach a map edge the game generates another map in that direction.  I think any shelters generated in the new map section also become valid spawn points.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7141 on: October 01, 2013, 12:13:38 pm »

Afraid that won't work, the game currently is set up to only pick a random shelter on overmap 0,0, if you've trashed all the shelters on the initial overmap, you're going to have a hard start.

Increasing city size tends to squish all the shelters together, not sure if you've done that or not.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7142 on: October 01, 2013, 12:35:46 pm »

Afraid that won't work, the game currently is set up to only pick a random shelter on overmap 0,0, if you've trashed all the shelters on the initial overmap, you're going to have a hard start.

Well darn, that's inconvenient.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7143 on: October 01, 2013, 12:42:21 pm »

Yeah, once I got a shopping cart from a grocery store and fit the contents of one military surplus, two grocery stores, six houses, an electronics store and a garage. Plus two military corpse drops.

something needs to get nerfed

Stores are badly understocked in this game TBH. Grocery stores IRL are HUGE, and not one of the stores in Cataclysm has so much as a 24 pack of bottled water.
They've been cleared out by panic buying and looting. It explains why people have such an eclectic selection of items in their house and on their persons.

Yeah, which explains why things like Water and basic food items are gone. Some stuff, though, like salt or sugar or trash bags should be in abundance. These aren't the types of things people grab much of when doing short-term hording. Longer-term looters will grab them later, of course, but that's basically what the player is. The cataclysm happens so fast I doubt many people would have gotten to that point yet by the time the majority of the population is zombies or monster chow.

Also, some items have an absurdly short rot time. I'm talking things like mayonnaise and soup cans. The mayonnaise should have a shelf life of MONTHS, at least, based on the ones I see in my store on a regular basis. And they're not refrigerated at all. Canned soup, likewise, can last a year or two. And yet I've had can of vegetable soup go rotten in just a few weeks in-game.

That's probably because the game treats mayonnaise and vegetable soup the same regardless of whether you made them yourself or looted them. Grocery store foods contain additives that lengthen the shelf life by killing bacteria attacking the food, but without those, mayo is just a big jar of delicious fatty acids for bacteria to chow on.

If it was boiled and then heat sealed, there aren't any bacteria in there to chow on it. Once you open a jar of mayo, it has the same shelf life it has in the game currently, but as long as it stays sealed it stays good for a very, very long time.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7144 on: October 01, 2013, 12:49:54 pm »

Currently canned and sealed goods aren't ideally implemented, there is a quick workaround where you make an item which when used will create whatever items to try and imitate sealing such as the sealed bag of meat which when activated gives you meat but the initial bag itself won't rot and the rot timer will only start once the bag is activated and then unsealed.

For stuff like mayo and soup they would need extra items like "sealed botle of mayo" which then once activated will give you "bottle of mayo" and same for soup, many other canned goods don't have this problem as they don't have any rot timer and generally aren't able to be created by the player so will always be un-rottable.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7145 on: October 01, 2013, 12:50:16 pm »

Yeah, it might be good for packaged foods to have an 'OPENED' flag that effects the rate of decay. Canned soup goods stay edible a long time sealed, but not so much after they've been opened.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7146 on: October 01, 2013, 12:56:45 pm »

You can't simply boil homemade mayonaise to sterilize it like you do with preserves, it will seperate and/or cook and you're going to end up with something relatively safe but completely not mayonaise.

That having been said some of the spolage times are a bit agressive, but they're not out of line for the general time-dialation thing the game does.  I'm in favor of setting all times like this to be based on real-world spoilage times, and then accelerate them along with everything else by a standard factor.  However doing this would be quite a lot of work, and I'm the only dev that seems to be interested, so probably not happening any time soon.

ninja'ed: Agree about sealed vs unsealed, we have a kind of system in place for that, but it's really cumbersome... actually I think a sealed flag would do it....
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: October 01, 2013, 01:00:32 pm »

Speaking of the time dilation, does the game recognize how much dilation is happening based on the Season Length? Because I always have mine set to 90 days so I get a reasonably accurate year length. It'd be nice if the game didn't make assumptions about how much time is passing without taking that setting into account.

I don't honestly get why the time dilation is in, anyway. I mean, you have the day-to-day events all happening in standard time increments. Strikes me as really odd to then have a season only be two weeks by default.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7148 on: October 01, 2013, 01:08:16 pm »

I think time dilation based on seasons is unnecessary. This is the end of the world, after all, one of the doomsday scenarios could reasonably have affected seasonal length. That wouldn't affect most bacteria (aside from possibly exterminating them). If we assume there is no time dilation, seasons could be wonky because of nuclear winter/megaearthquakes/giant asteroid/supervolcano/whatever. No need to go overcomplicating things.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: October 01, 2013, 01:11:09 pm »

Also reasonable. But right now the game is an odd mix of 'real' time and compressed time in different areas. I'd like that to at least make sense or be controllable.

On a random note: I want to use one of these as my mobile base. Well, a manned version anyway. Don't know that I'd trust a robotic base. But, still, that thing would not care about bushes AT ALL.
Come play Mafia with us!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7150 on: October 01, 2013, 01:21:43 pm »

Right now the only part that recognizes time dilation is plant growth. Everything else doesn't. I do agree that the spoilage times should probably be fixed though, some of them are a little out of whack.

Personally I think it's probably easier just to ignore time dilation for everything that isn't season-based (so spoilage wouldn't be altered, esle you would have meat going bad in hours/minutes).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7151 on: October 01, 2013, 02:20:47 pm »

Another note: the game isn't really in real-time either; using cars as a basis, a square is about 2 square feet. These towns are rather small, and we travel rather slowly, and are rather near-sighted.

We're still playing a game, and games still have limits.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7152 on: October 01, 2013, 02:24:34 pm »

Another note: the game isn't really in real-time either; using cars as a basis, a square is about 2 square feet. These towns are rather small, and we travel rather slowly, and are rather near-sighted.

The average size I've been using for a single "square" is 1 m^2 by ~1 story (8-10ft).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7153 on: October 01, 2013, 02:55:31 pm »

Sure, I'm all for breaking from reality when it makes sense to do so. I'd just like things to have some order and thought behind them when they do so.
Come play Mafia with us!

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: October 01, 2013, 03:17:42 pm »

like bushes that do not spell doom for anything vehicular. Or moose, the real harbringers of tbe apocalypse.
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 1086