Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1759388 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3390 on: June 15, 2013, 09:00:39 am »

What does tossing a radio at a giant worm do?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: June 15, 2013, 09:02:02 am »

It creates sound that draws the worm to it, and I guess it surfaces to eat it or something. I've never ran into one, but I've watched plenty of Tremors and Dune, so I'm practically an expert.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: June 15, 2013, 09:05:55 am »

Dune is an amazing book. Anyone who doesn't agree to implement Dune items into Cataclysm is against the spirit of the game. Or they would have to expend ridiculous amounts of codeeffort to do it. One or the other.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3393 on: June 15, 2013, 09:09:37 am »

Both hunt by sound/vibration so if you create a point on the ground with more sound than you the worms and graboids will go to it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: June 15, 2013, 11:11:17 am »

Dune is an amazing book.

Meh. The White Plague was better. If you want wacky Herbert "sci-fi" go to The Jesus Incident and that series. A living planet would make for an interesting alternate plane for Cataclysm.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: June 15, 2013, 05:04:07 pm »

Do worms surface when using radio? I half remember they don't, but I could be wrong. Because making them surface is the problem.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: June 15, 2013, 05:28:27 pm »

They are evil. see them you throw a noisemaker and run in the other direction.

Of course, i have only seen them once... and somehow survived... (i think i cheated)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #3397 on: June 15, 2013, 06:11:18 pm »

Turrets work great against worms.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: June 15, 2013, 06:21:01 pm »

Do worms surface when using radio? I half remember they don't, but I could be wrong. Because making them surface is the problem.

You just put some explosives next to the radio, and then you don't need to make them surface. ^_^

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3399 on: June 15, 2013, 06:26:18 pm »

So when do we get remote control cars?
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: June 15, 2013, 08:01:50 pm »

Well, explosive are heavy, and kills by explosive don't register in your kill list.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3401 on: June 16, 2013, 09:16:51 pm »

So I have a question. I read somewhere that purifier was changed to not remove starting benefits or maybe just any of the starting things. I just gained near sighted from chugging mutagen. I then proceeded to try to get rid of it with 3 or 4 purifiers but did not lose it. Can I get rid of it with purifier? I do have a lot of mutations so I might have just been unlucky but I figured I would ask before proceeding and losing all my nice mutations.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: June 16, 2013, 09:34:01 pm »

Because near-sighted is also a possible starting trait, purifier will not remove it. See, purifier is supposed to not remove things that your character naturally has, but since certain "mutations" are actually regular ol' traits, you can end up with a malignant trait that purifier will not remove.

I tend to avoid mutating now. Chances of bad stuff happening is too high. Even if you get some good mutations, chances are you'll get one or two bad ones as well. And then, if you try to mutate further, you end up making the bad ones worse. It's just awful, frankly. I advise you to avoid mutating if possible. Bionics are much safer, provided you have the skill to install them.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3403 on: June 16, 2013, 09:41:09 pm »

Sigh, I feared that. There should probably be 2 of any mutation you can get at the start and later on through mutation then. Both would do the same thing but one which you get through mutation should be removable by purifier.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: June 16, 2013, 09:46:48 pm »

If you don't take robust genetics, you've got a flat 1/3 chance of a guaranteed bad mutation which makes mutating pretty dangerous.

If you DO take robust genetics though, that gets turned into a 1/3 chance of a guaranteed good mutation which makes a mutation heavy playstyle much more feasible. You still want loads of purifier though because you'll always have a 2/3 chance of a random mutation.

Personally I always play mutation heavy. Some of the benefits are simply amazing, and provided you keep a stock of purifier handy you can pretty easily get rid of any bad mutations.

If you do decide to play around with mutations a lot, then I'd recommend taking Night Vision and strongly suggest avoiding Ugly since they're both part of mutation lines, which gives them a good chance of being chosen for an upgrade when you mutate.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 1086