Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1759475 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3405 on: June 16, 2013, 10:06:05 pm »

If purifier removed only bad things, I would mutate all the time. Sadly, it essentially undoes everything you just gained the last time you consumed mutagen/arm/leg/fetus, which means you have to get yourself a ton of mutagen and purifier and repeatedly try to get only good mutations.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: June 16, 2013, 10:32:19 pm »

Yeah, but that's what makes it fun, you don't know what you're going to get, and you'll generally at best only get a couple of good mutations without getting a bad one. You end up needing to decide how many bad mutations you're willing to put up with to get the good ones.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3407 on: June 16, 2013, 10:36:26 pm »

I am actually fine with the occasional bad mutation. What I have the problem with is there are apparently bad mutations you can get but then can't get rid of and the sight ones are quite annoying.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3408 on: June 17, 2013, 12:00:14 am »

I wish you could use a syringe to target mutagen. But then, that would only really be useful with a more thoroughly implemented body system.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: June 17, 2013, 12:10:22 am »

I wish you could use a syringe to target mutagen. But then, that would only really be useful with a more thoroughly implemented body system.
Where do you want to inject the fetus?
Eyeballs
You have developed night vision.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3410 on: June 17, 2013, 12:47:39 am »

It would only work with mutagen, not the misc body parts. But otherwise, yes, that is more or less how it would go.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3411 on: June 17, 2013, 01:12:05 am »

One of the things a common commenter on my Cataclysm videos thought of is an interesting idea along a similar vein. Basically have something that caused mutations in a specific sub set of them like the reptile or insect based ones. I think its an interesting idea though I would make it fluffed as a gene therapy sort of thing as I like the idea of keeping mutations as complete randomness. Also it would not be fetus but liquified fetus you would inject.

Edit: oh and brain storm, have it require something to get. It could be found in some sort of surface building like an above ground lab and the building has a machine that you need to give a DNA sample plus some ingredients to so you can get the stuff. This way you can make it so players will have more reasons to go to certain dangerous features you don't really have a good reason to go to, for instance say insect mutations would need ant queen meat or something of the like. Maybe have levels of quality to it so if you just use ant meat or rotten ant queen corpse you have a higher chance of getting bad mutations that deal with insects because the DNA wasn't pure enough to work with.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:18:08 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3412 on: June 17, 2013, 01:15:37 am »

You can get bottles of mutagen, which are the only things I'd allow to be injected. I think you can use the other things to make mutagen, though.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3413 on: June 17, 2013, 01:21:33 am »

Mutagen and Purifier are relatively easy to make if you have your cooking high enough to craft them.
Spoiler: The recipes (click to show/hide)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: June 17, 2013, 01:51:50 am »

An important note about mutating starting traits, the fact that you are unable to remove bad things like near-sighted with purifier is not intended. Rather it's a side effect of the current system to prevent characters from removing starting traits. When possible it should end up being replaced by a system that will make it so that purifier will remove everything but the actual traits that you started with.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: June 17, 2013, 09:17:47 am »

I know that static spawn stops zombies from spawning again in towns, but do other creatures continue to spawn? Giant bugs are annoying the fuck out of me because I think they'll stop spawning like the zombies, but there just seems to be more every time I go to clear them out. WHAT'S THE DEALLLll

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: June 17, 2013, 09:21:57 am »

Only zombies are static spawned right now.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: June 17, 2013, 09:22:31 am »

Bugs seem to spawn way too much. I had a character that survived around a week once, and after that week, traveling without a car was suicide because of all the wolf spiders.

Dunno if that's fixed yet.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: June 17, 2013, 09:27:58 am »

Nope.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: June 17, 2013, 12:22:52 pm »

Bugs seem to spawn way too much. I had a character that survived around a week once, and after that week, traveling without a car was suicide because of all the wolf spiders.

Dunno if that's fixed yet.

Man... That's one hell of a...

* Fniff sunglasses

Bug.  8)
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 1086