Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1759354 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3420 on: June 17, 2013, 12:30:40 pm »

I just file it as the longer time goes on the more spiders mutate into giant man eaters. While the world ended with a bang its not like everything suddenly spread everywhere. Taking Triffids as an example, by the book they come from they are everywhere and it did not take them long. In game they are only in specific areas and it is basically assumed the world Just ended what with stuff still being unspoiled yet soon spoiling after and what not. Giant spiders just have not had the time to spread yet, the same with triffids and various other horrors.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: June 17, 2013, 01:37:41 pm »

Spiders reproduce fairly quickly given enough food. With all the bears and deer around they should see a population explosion. As you kill some, others will come in to fill the void.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: June 17, 2013, 01:45:08 pm »

Spiders reproduce fairly quickly given enough food. With all the bears and deer around they should see a population explosion. As you kill some, others will come in to fill the void.

Do spiders actually have a reproduction mechanic implemented? If so, would actively hunting them and/or seeking out caves/webs affect that?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: June 17, 2013, 02:24:32 pm »

Do spiders actually have a reproduction mechanic implemented? If so, would actively hunting them and/or seeking out caves/webs affect that?
I dunno, but I hit about 5 during a short car ride to a house. It'll be an effective population control if I get a bigger car
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: June 17, 2013, 03:56:50 pm »

I think they use dynamic spawn, so you can kill of the population if you kill enough.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: June 17, 2013, 05:36:40 pm »

I think it's only zombies which have populations, bugs and bears are forever.

Ants, Triffids and Fungals don't really have a population but can be stopped by killing the queen/heart.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: June 17, 2013, 05:55:22 pm »

They still spawn after you kill the queen though, I think it just stop replenishing the population pool.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: June 18, 2013, 08:30:39 pm »

The population starts to slowly die off, it may take awhile depending on how many there are.

Buy holy Urist, the WORMS. I drove a car, ran over around 20 of them before I had to retreat due to damage to my car.

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: June 19, 2013, 05:02:19 am »

if I read all this stuff...I think I have to try to survive longer :)

Where do I get so much resources to cook mutagen or find enough to play with?
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: June 19, 2013, 05:05:28 am »

Looting houses + butchering their former inhabitants, I guess. What's harder is getting your first aid and cooking that high.

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: June 19, 2013, 06:05:26 am »

Looting houses + butchering their former inhabitants, I guess. What's harder is getting your first aid and cooking that high.
staying alive is hard I think :)
Every time I want to go a little deeper into town to get better (or more) stuff I wake up the Z-Hordes.

OK...if I can find a car I can smash a nice amount of them but sooner or later the car goes down and little time after that I too.

Perhaps I have to try harder so that I can get the !!!FUN!!!-Stuff too ;)
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3431 on: June 19, 2013, 06:10:43 am »

Here is a tip. Farther in does not equal better loot. If you can find a gun store on the outside of town it has the same loot chances as one right smack dab in the middle. A car helps quite a bit so I advise instead of town diving you should travel the roads and look for a car that just needs fuel and a gas station. The gas station has fuel and food so you can drink something in a bottle and fill that bottle with fuel. That should be enough to get you too the gas station if the car is not too far away and once at the station you can fill the car. A car not only lets you take care of tough enemies but it dramatically increases you storage space you can bring with you.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: June 19, 2013, 06:47:26 am »

Driving a loud car near a fungal hotspot is a bad idea though.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: June 19, 2013, 08:07:43 am »

Driving a loud car near a fungal hotspot is a bad idea though.
Or maybe it is the best idea ever thought of?
Nom nom nom

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: June 19, 2013, 10:23:13 am »

A loud car is usually big enough to plow straight through the fungaloids with no issue as long as you don't plan on stopping anywhere.  And even then they are easily outrun if you park your car a distance away from what yer planning to enter.  Though you do wanna make sure you are wearing mouth protection.

I kinda think Trifflids are a bigger threat what with them spawning trees in the middle of the road, and also being attracted to the noise.  At least trifflids are delicious.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 1086