Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1754737 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4050 on: July 06, 2013, 08:02:10 pm »

I put a single level into dodge and occasionally a primary offensive skill like archery or unarmed combat. dodge doesn't seem to help with the zombies always lunging to bite me like it used to.

the current character I loaded with as many positive and negative traits as possible, with masochist, self-aware, light step, shaolin adept, and heavy sleeper, insomniac, addictive personality, chemical imbalance, weak stomach.

I raised the base stats of Dex and Int to 10 each since crane fighting style gets bonuses from Dex and Int is a factor in the success of installing bionics.

I dunno, it seems like there's more emphasis on gathering supplies and wandering off to live self-sufficently in the wilderness, and I was wondering if people build characters to specifically aid them in doing that or if it's all DF-style extreme macro training and people instead go for perks and stats at char creation.

While I find stats (aside from decent perception) to be fairly unimportant, and mostly take enough skills to get me started.
Skills such as...?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4051 on: July 06, 2013, 08:27:28 pm »

I also go for loads of perks and stats, and put no points into skills. The reasoning being, that if you can raise skills relatively easily, and you can't raise the others at all easily, then obviously perks and stats are more important to start off with. In terms of specifics, I go for quick and fleet footed, and then loads of intelligence, and then whatever else I think is important for this specific character.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: July 06, 2013, 08:29:22 pm »

From what I've seen, people tend to take skills like Mechanics, Archery and Unarmed Combat at the start to give them a headstart into crafting certain items and to increase their early attacking skill. Personally I don't really have any difficulties in the early game that could be resolved with skills. A pipe from the shelter is a decent enough weapon and after using it on a handful of zombies to get a couple of skill levels you'll be able to pretty easily dispatch most enemies.

I find that the biggest hurdle early game is mainly items, rather than skills, whereas stats provide more long term benefits. Still, whatever works for you is fine. At the very least I'd recommend 10 PER with every character to allow you to see traps easily.

Regarding traits, it's less important to load yourself up with them as it is to pick the ones you feel are important. Some people advocate the minmaxing approach of grabbing as many of the low impact traits as possible to pump up your character. Personally, if you're new to the game, I'd suggest taking only a few traits or even none so you can learn how to play with a default character, knowledge of game mechanics and techniques will help you infinitely more than character building.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: July 06, 2013, 08:35:49 pm »

Tailor is an AMAZING starting profession.  Then go for 4 levels in unarmed, and Self-Defense to get Krav Maga.  That's so overpowered, at 4 levels you unlock all sorts of blocking and criticals and whatever you just shred enemies.  Then just venture forth and find some hard arm/leg guards, and watch the enemies fall asunder.

Traits - pack mule and night vision - it should be obvious why.
12 str, 10 dex, 8 int, 8 per.

While int does help you install bionics, so does cocaine.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: July 06, 2013, 09:09:34 pm »

I'm getting a segfault, anywhere that can be repaired?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: July 06, 2013, 09:17:41 pm »

While int does help you install bionics, so does cocaine.

So cocaine lets you outrun bears, take down jabberwocks with the aid of a bow and a shrubbery, and helps you to install genetic-robotic enhancements on your own body without any extra knowledge, assistance, or extra anesthetics. Is there anything cocaine can not do? Should I just stockpile cocaine in case of a zombie apocalypse?

Serious question though, how helpful is the tailor profession? I can see how starting with string could help craft a bow for archery, but so far I've set to see the value of being able to mend and repair clothing. does tailoring eventually become an essential thing for survival or what?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: July 06, 2013, 09:21:36 pm »

You can fit and sturdify everything.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: July 06, 2013, 09:24:48 pm »

Tailoring lets you produce some of the best items at high levels - namely Chitinous Armor - as well as very high warmth, storage, and low encumberance items.  A Leather Pouch has the same storage as a Utility Vest, and is made with leather scraps you can find off a zombie's dropped "torn leather jacket".  It also lets you tailor existing items, so Underarmor gives -1 encumberance, which DOES reduce the total and allow you to equip more without suffering.  Not to mention you can reinforce items to -1 damage.

So it lets you make clothing better, and make the best clothing, as well as repairing damaged clothing.  Anyone using arm/leg guards, or utility vests will know they're very helpful clothing items that get damaged really quickly.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4058 on: July 06, 2013, 09:29:32 pm »

The tailoring skill is in my opinion the single most important skill in the game. You can muddle by with no ability at combat, no ability at cooking, and no ability to build most other things but being able to keep your armor and storage cloths repaired is something you won't be able to go without once you get later in. Right now with how armor works a wolf suit is one of the most OP things to wear and being able to keep it repaired is amazing. I took down a Jabberwock in melee with just a wolf suit and a crowbar with no combat skills and the hardcore trait. The tailoring profession on the other hand is not as vital as all that. What I have done with great results is put four points into tailoring and take the mechanic profession. The mechanic profession starts you with (along with some other stuff) a mechnic book and a bit of clothing that adds storage. You read the book to get to level 1 and make a crowbar by beating up a locker then head to town and find a sewing kit or work on survival till you can make a bone needle.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: July 06, 2013, 10:01:20 pm »

The tailoring skill is in my opinion the single most important skill in the game. You can muddle by with no ability at combat, no ability at cooking, and no ability to build most other things but being able to keep your armor and storage cloths repaired is something you won't be able to go without once you get later in. Right now with how armor works a wolf suit is one of the most OP things to wear and being able to keep it repaired is amazing. I took down a Jabberwock in melee with just a wolf suit and a crowbar with no combat skills and the hardcore trait. The tailoring profession on the other hand is not as vital as all that. What I have done with great results is put four points into tailoring and take the mechanic profession. The mechanic profession starts you with (along with some other stuff) a mechnic book and a bit of clothing that adds storage. You read the book to get to level 1 and make a crowbar by beating up a locker then head to town and find a sewing kit or work on survival till you can make a bone needle.
I found a Wolf Suit. I didnt know it was a thing, I also found some Wolverine Claws.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: July 06, 2013, 10:29:07 pm »

100% coverage and resistance to stuff. It's pretty awesome. I wish it would narrow your vision down to almost nothing. Just a narrow little cone.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: July 06, 2013, 11:08:42 pm »

Whenever anyone mentions it all I can think of is a hardened survivalist running around fighting zombies and wild animals, while dressed in a fursuit. It never fails to bring out the internal giggles.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: July 06, 2013, 11:31:32 pm »

Thing is, that's exactly what it is.  It's described exactly like that!

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: July 06, 2013, 11:47:14 pm »

found a zombie necromancer 0_o got a 171dmg headshot to his head so i got no idea what he could do really.
any fast way to train electronics?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 11:54:53 pm by SharpKris »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: July 07, 2013, 12:00:57 am »

I found an inactive manhack on a dead science dude out in a field. I guess I'll save it for an "oh crap" moment, I dunno if it would attack me too if I activated it. Neat little reference to half-Life, though.

I assume I probably don't want to go towards a slime pit on my first day while armed with an iron pipe and no real armor.

EDIT: Oh cool, I also found a flask of mutagen. To quaff or not to quaff.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:05:13 am by Mr Space Cat »

Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 1086