Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1779862 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Just remember, fight the zombies on your terms or not at all when you start out. Trying to fight them all is a quick way to end up dead, and even if you win you're probably just worse off than you were before.

It's a Survival game first and foremost. Keep that in mind, and you'll do ok once you get it down.

Not to say that making a combat focused character and fighting all the zombies until you die isn't fun too...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I've been eyeing this for a while now since it seems pretty interesting. And have been wondering, how much of a brick wall is it to get into the game?

Ideally my approach (as with most roguelikes) would be a balls first jump into the deep end of the pool kind of move and to start learning by doing stuff. Would that be good in any way?

Mostly asking because my gaming time is severly limited for the forseeable future so anything that would take longer to learn than an average play session could last isn't exactly the best choice I fear.

I found this very, very easy to get into. If you have the time, I'd recommend watching a let's play episode or two, just to get a feel for the mechanics. Aavak has good long-running series that covers many useful things early on.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Speaking of, aspirin or codeine? Codeine is much harder to find, while aspirin is easier but has less of an effect. Also, I occasionally take more then two aspirins, but I don't get a bigger pain comedown. Why's that?
Aspirin is unique in that it has no drawbacks.  There's no addiction or penalty, so you can chug aspirin for the minor pain relief, and ignore small injuries and the whole 'stepping through broken glass' issues.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I found this very, very easy to get into.

Though there will almost always be plenty of situations where you die because you didn't know something - like cutting yourself on a glass window you smashed through because you never bothered to try opening it from the inside and thus didn't know you could. But learning stuff like that and talking about those discoveries with other people is half the fun.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I found this very, very easy to get into.

Though there will almost always be plenty of situations where you die because you didn't know something - like cutting yourself on a glass window you smashed through because you never bothered to try opening it from the inside and thus didn't know you could. But learning stuff like that and talking about those discoveries with other people is half the fun.

I don't see the downsides in your statements. Isn't dying in new ways what Cata about? Have I been playing it wrong all along? o.O
More seriously though, all of that stuff stands to logic. As soon as I figured how to navigate the menus, I acted logically and didn't have much trouble. Except for bravery. Being brave is really, really bad for your health.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

I now have the urge to make a cata themed PSA type post about bravery being bad, but alas I haven't the time.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Fortune favors the bold but evolution favours the last one with a functional reproductive system.

Or somesuch.

Played the tutorial, seems pretty straightforward and I like that for ASCII it's pretty easily readable, some real experimentation will follow soon :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Good luck!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

Fortune favors the bold but evolution favours the last one with a functional reproductive system.

Or somesuch.

Sigged.

In other news good luck as Asea said

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I hate landmines. My dude survived almost a season, i decide to go outside to get friends and I find a landmine in a bush.
well, there goes that guy.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Agreed. I went into one of those boobytrap fields (That I always imagine are made by crazy people: why would you put booby traps in clear view outside!? The only way it makes sense is if the reward is meant to be bait, which just makes it ridiculously jerkish) and tripped on a landmine I didn't see.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I hate landmines. My dude survived almost a season, i decide to go outside to get friends and I find a landmine in a bush.
Landmine fields are always freshly churned Dirt, making them easy to notice if you see a sudden lot amount of dirt, especially on roads.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Landmine fields are always freshly churned Dirt, making them easy to notice if you see a sudden lot amount of dirt, especially on roads.

That is... fantastic. Looks like I need to improve my real life perception somehow...

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

If Cataclysm ever goes semi-multiplayer again I will be putting landmines in every single shrub tile I find now. Everyone will fear the safety of shrubbery, especially if you're like me and use them to kite Zombies.. ;]

You hear a brush..
BOOM x 999

I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

So if someone asks what it will take to convince you to stop mining everything, will you tell them to bring you a shrubbery?

Please kill me.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 1086