Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1781347 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7080 on: September 30, 2013, 03:39:30 pm »

Although only a save-scum saved him, my mansion-dwelling character has now entered the I Am Legend phase. Meaning I manage to live in relative leisure, untroubled by hordes of the dead, making detours north to the forest for food and south to the river for water (and food from stray squirrels and rabbits).

Incidentally, I never knew picking underbrush is so awesome. It's basically free food in absurd abundance, if somewhat more time-consuming than rodent meat.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7081 on: September 30, 2013, 04:01:58 pm »

bathroom moose
Hey, at least you're near the bathroom.
Question: can one close doors?

ARROWS!
Hmm, maybe I was just unlucky, but my first stack of metal arrows felt like wooden or worse. Downright fragile, they seemed.

If you mean can you close doors, hit 'c' then the arrow key to the door. If you mean can the moose close doors... I don't think so, but moose are sadistic and cunning, so it's kind of like facing off against antlered raptors.

Metal arrows seem to have about the same break rate. Maybe 80% recovery or so. Not hard to replace though, 9 scrap metal and one plastic (or cardboard box, or plastic bag, or feathers) for 10 of them.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: September 30, 2013, 04:17:59 pm »

Hmmm.

Maybe after the first year has passed, we should start enabling rare attack events or something. Like say a horde that started wandering to find new victims stumbles across you, and spawns a random number of enemies. I mean there's really not much threat to an old character outside of them poking their noses in dangerous places. Something to spice up an area aside from spiders and bears. Give you a reason to have solid defenses built and so on.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7083 on: September 30, 2013, 04:19:52 pm »

Hmmm.

Maybe after the first year has passed, we should start enabling rare attack events or something. Like say a horde that started wandering to find new victims stumbles across you, and spawns a random number of enemies. I mean there's really not much threat to an old character outside of them poking their noses in dangerous places. Something to spice up an area aside from spiders and bears. Give you a reason to have solid defenses built and so on.
Wandering hordes are eventually planned, but nobody has gotten around to actually implementing them yet.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7084 on: September 30, 2013, 06:51:45 pm »

I downloaded the experimental version last night and been... experiencing some minor oddness. Like animation frames sticking for a turn (red flash when something is hit mainly)

And when I found a zweihander in a pawnshop is displayed"      fw{ for 61" when I hit my first zombie with it. Assuming that it makes the hit messages German and it has something to do with that, all other hit messages were fine.

I'm assuming someone reported this or something already, but just in case.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7085 on: September 30, 2013, 07:07:41 pm »

Zweihanders don't hit in German, at least not last I knew.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7086 on: September 30, 2013, 07:29:10 pm »

Back on the survivor suit: if you can deal with the extra weight, it makes for a big improvement on the normal raincoat- same encumbrance, 8 extra pounds, a bunch more protection & storage. Of course it's 3x the volume, so it's only good if, say, you keep the raincoat in a foldable bicycle/shopping cart.

Even more on that subject:
Even though it's made of the kevlar stuff, so it's more resistant, wouldn't it wind up degrading faster by virtue of replacing ~4 articles of clothing? It would potentially be hit 4x as often.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:55:29 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7087 on: September 30, 2013, 08:18:47 pm »

Probably an obvious question I'm just overlooking, but is there some way to move objects too heavy to pick up?  This V8 is like three times my maximum carry weight and I'd like to load it into a vehicle.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7088 on: September 30, 2013, 08:32:21 pm »

You should be able to pick it up, it'll just break your spine if you take more than 2 steps or so.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7089 on: September 30, 2013, 08:40:10 pm »

You should be able to pick it up, it'll just break your spine if you take more than 2 steps or so.

Nope, straight up said it's too heavy to pick up.  This could make modifying a car a little problematic, but I was planning on going electric anyway.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7090 on: September 30, 2013, 08:46:41 pm »

Use the / menu.  Stand atop the engine, and put the left side panel to "5" and the right to "8", then press 'm' to move the item to the tile north of you.  If this tile is a vehicle container, it'll try to put the item inside, and if it doesn't fit it won't move it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7091 on: September 30, 2013, 09:48:08 pm »

Question on rain: how do you collect rain (especially acid rain) with a funnel and jug? I've tried putting down the jug then the funnel, putting down the funnel then the jug, I've literally stood and watched the rain fall on the jugs, and no water has accumulated. Am I doing it wrong, or is it just buggy.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7092 on: September 30, 2013, 09:51:06 pm »

1. Make sure the jugs are empty
2. (a)ctivate the funnels from your inventory to place them
3. Jugs on same square as funnel contraptions
Badges of honor

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7093 on: September 30, 2013, 10:08:11 pm »

I seem to be getting shocker zombies even with 'classic zombies' turned on. And I have static spawn too so I really don't know why they would show up suddenly either.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7094 on: September 30, 2013, 10:08:52 pm »

4: Wait.  It takes time to collect liquids.

If you're after water for drinking, then find a swimming pool instead.
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 1086