Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1759538 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7110 on: October 01, 2013, 12:18:28 am »

While I understand that static spawns means creatures won't spawn in from sound or smell and/or whatever, what does that mean in the longer term? Will a town or area repopulate with creatures eventually or will it remain cleared? Is there still situations where the game will spawn creatures, as I vaguely remember that static spawn only affects zombies and not other creatures in the wilderness.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7111 on: October 01, 2013, 12:20:32 am »

It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Rabbitinglove is my new username. It's funny as 3 words AND 2. Teehee.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7112 on: October 01, 2013, 12:33:38 am »

When I tried classic in .5, I had a bunch of boomers in a hospital as well.
Oddly enough, the shockers are in places I can't imagine them having been. They're around the helicopter crash site, but I was there only the day before.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7113 on: October 01, 2013, 12:50:04 am »

So in my latest video I tried something I had not in while and put basically all my points into stats. It seems to be working out quite well though that could have just been a lucky start. How many of you have done characters this way and how have they worked for you?

If you want to see the video you can find it Here (using SirHolder's Tileset)
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7114 on: October 01, 2013, 01:18:35 am »

Yeah, currently all corpses contain infinite water.  It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

And now I realize why so many out-of-context quotes come from here.
I rarely change my sigtext, but... this one's too good to pass up.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #7115 on: October 01, 2013, 01:33:42 am »

Damn, Astral, you beat me to it :P

So any special tips for doing things like scavenging cars or something? I always hold onto a wrench, a screwdriver, a crowbar and a welder if I can find one of each. And what are electronics good for?

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7116 on: October 01, 2013, 01:37:29 am »

Some neat gadgets and at high levels CBMs can be crafted. It also affects CBM install rate.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7117 on: October 01, 2013, 02:54:13 am »

While I understand that static spawns means creatures won't spawn in from sound or smell and/or whatever, what does that mean in the longer term? Will a town or area repopulate with creatures eventually or will it remain cleared? Is there still situations where the game will spawn creatures, as I vaguely remember that static spawn only affects zombies and not other creatures in the wilderness.

In Static, all ZOMBIES, just regular infection zombies and specials, are placed in the world upon generation and will not respawn. This means that once you cleared out an area of zombies, the only zombies you will see will have to be lured in from elsewhere. Note, however, that this specifically affects zombies.

Other creatures, like Triffids or Fungaloids (and fungal zombies too, I think) are continuously spawned at their respective HQ locations (i.e. anthills for Giant Ants, Groves for Triffids, etc.). You can clear those out, but instead of just murdering every single one of them in the area (or actually, aside of), you have to destroy the HQ.

Woodland animals of all kinds (bears, wolves, rabbits, squirrels, M.O.O.S.E.), as far as I can tell, continuously spawn on plains and woods.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7118 on: October 01, 2013, 03:18:01 am »

I think I asked this before but didn't get an answer: what do you have to destroy to stop slimes spawning?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7119 on: October 01, 2013, 03:30:19 am »

I think slimes split themselves, possibly a big one into a number of smaller ones. As for what they spawn from... I don't know, a goo pit maybe?

Edit: Hang on, the ones that split are Blobs, not Slimes. The wiki has a page for slimes but no other information beyond basic stats.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:31:59 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7120 on: October 01, 2013, 03:52:38 am »

In Static, all ZOMBIES, just regular infection zombies and specials, are placed in the world upon generation and will not respawn.
But the corpses will raise again in time, so you better dispose of those.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7121 on: October 01, 2013, 03:55:51 am »

In Static, all ZOMBIES, just regular infection zombies and specials, are placed in the world upon generation and will not respawn.
But the corpses will raise again in time, so you better dispose of those.

Oh right, I forgot about that since I compulsively butcher any zombie I kill. Doubly so for Shockers, because bionics.

EDIT: Anyone else here fears summer more than winter? Since it's hotter in summer, you cannot wear as much clothes as you would normally, meaning you have less volume available.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:58:16 am by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7122 on: October 01, 2013, 04:09:29 am »

I dislike it in the early game where I am still scavenging though in the theoretical mid game I would not mind it at all. Basically I would use the summer as a time to fortify a position and the winter for scavenging and finding things to explore.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7123 on: October 01, 2013, 06:50:17 am »

EDIT: Anyone else here fears summer more than winter? Since it's hotter in summer, you cannot wear as much clothes as you would normally, meaning you have less volume available.

Shopping carts care not for your "seasons" and "heat".
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7124 on: October 01, 2013, 08:03:24 am »

Yeah, once I got a shopping cart from a grocery store and fit the contents of one military surplus, two grocery stores, six houses, an electronics store and a garage. Plus two military corpse drops.
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 1086