Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 585 586 [587] 588 589 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1780448 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8790 on: November 07, 2013, 11:29:25 am »

How hard would it be to make a wearable cigar that is stylish?

I must know, for badassery will live on regardless if I'm dressed like a hobo or a dapper gentlemen!

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8791 on: November 07, 2013, 11:33:48 am »

Yea, some kind of absolutely huge zombie mass thing is a possiblity, as in a multi-tile amorphous blob monstrosity.  I've always wanted to do multi-tile monsters in a roguelike.

Other areas of development for zombies:
Pervasive inactive zombies, do you try and sneak through and risk waking them all up, or do you try and clear a path?
Spawn groups, maybe with a little AI, e.g. spawn a necro with a bunch of regulars and a mix of other specials, and have the necro keep the specials between you and it.

kilakan, did you increase city sizes by much?  That tends to crowd out the special buildings.  If not it might just be bad luck.  Also, WH40K much? :D

Wearable... cigar... my head hurts.... but yea, that could be doable.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8792 on: November 07, 2013, 11:39:43 am »

sounds like mood-boosting clothing :0 wahaha painful coding ideas!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8793 on: November 07, 2013, 11:42:58 am »

Actual, from what I know, some clothing have a [STYLISH] tag, and having the stylish trait would, in turn, give you +2-5~ mood.

And really, I just want a test to see how difficult it'd me to make something.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8794 on: November 07, 2013, 11:51:58 am »

Made some new zombie suggestions:
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=4077.0

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8795 on: November 07, 2013, 12:30:52 pm »

Dem new zombies are ferocious sounding indeed.

Just on a whim, where/how does one get a blowgun? I've wanted to blow darts at zombies since I saw them in the crafting menu.

On that note, why not scrap metal/steel darts for throwing? Get some scrap, some feathers...? Although, at that, one would have to wonder what kind of damage a zombie would need to take to die. I can't imagine a small, sharp point doing much to the walking dead unless darts are more lethal than I know.
I'm pretty sure you make a blowgun from a 4x4 and a knife. Like the makeshift guns but without a firing mechanism.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8796 on: November 07, 2013, 12:38:34 pm »

I have plans for monster evolution in general over time, so yea I'd think the incubators would eventually "hatch", and you probably don't want that to happen in general...

Basically the monster "lives" on a particular map tile, when the tile gets loaded into the active area, we'll look at how long its been since it was last processed, and use that to determine if a change of some kind will have happened.  At some point a regular zombie would turn into an incubator, and some time later the incubator would "hatch", spiling forth whatever unholy abbomination has been growing in there.

That's for a monster that just hangs out, we also want some monsters to be somewhat active even when you're not nearby...
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8797 on: November 07, 2013, 12:39:05 pm »

Question about the Incubators though - do they ever 'hatch' normally? Probably difficult to implement, but it'd be neat if I discover a house full of Incubators up the street from my safehouse, and I'm forced to choose between taking them on now, or waiting until I'm better prepared and potentially finding their babies hatched and all grown up (and presumably, much more dangerous).

Let's just say if you start finding incubator corpses around, and you didn't kill them, you might want to start worrying. But I was strictly keeping it to the zombie suggestions. ;)

Once we get roaming in though, there's no guarantee the result will stay in the immediate area of the incubators.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8798 on: November 07, 2013, 01:06:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure that you need some skill in archery to make blowguns. I might be misremembering things though.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8800 on: November 07, 2013, 01:25:28 pm »

Building is a great use of time. Build yourself a great fort in the woods.

Also I can never really survive past the first few days. Any teeps?

Hmm, well since I don't know what you're having trouble surviving through, I'll just throw out a general walkthrough:

Top priority on the spawn is to get a good weapon. You have a few choices:

1: If you started with a profession that has a weapon (soldier, golfer, etc) you're already good.
2: If you took a martial art, you're probably good.
3: If you 's'mash the lockers, you can get a pipe. Does decent damage, and has a +2 hit bonus which is the best of the starting weapons.
4. If you 's'mash the benches, you can get a 2 by 4, which is a nice weapon. If you go outside and get a rock, you can craft (&) a nail board out of the 2 by 4 and some nails. If you prefer, you can use your starting pocket knife to craft (&) a pointy stick out of the 2 by 4.

Once you have a weapon, you should check the basement of the shelter to see if there's anything good down there. Fairly random, sometimes you get a bottle of water and a backpack, other times you get nothing. If you get a bottle of anything, I strongly recommend emptying it, chopping up a sheet ('s'mash one of the windows, the 'a'ctivate your pocket knife) and crafting (&) a filter mask. Without it, Smoker zombies will reduce your torso to one sliver of health, they're SERIOUSLY dangerous in the current build.

Next step is to find a nice section of the town to start clearing. You want one that sticks out from the rest of the city a little. This helps keep you from getting completely surrounded by zombies. Zombies aren't to dangerous on their own if you know how to deal with them. The key thing to remember is they're pretty stupid. If there's a bush directly between you and them, rather than walking around the bush, they'll try to walk through it which slows them down significantly. Once they're entangled in the bush (or a table, chair, window, sapling, or any other terrain obstacle that slows movement), you have an opening to hit them two or three times before they can move again. (ab)Using this technique, you can kill most zombies in the early game with little to no risk.

From this point on, the game becomes very non-linear. Here are some survival tips:

-Zombie bites suck. You can treat them with a bottle of disinfectant, a first aid kit, or you can cauterize them by 'a'ctivating your pocket knife or a soldering iron. Cauterizing hurts though, 20 pain in an instant, and it may be changed in an upcoming build, so that really should be a last resort. You can also ward off bites with heavy armor, if your armor is thick enough that the zombie can't hurt you, you don't get bitten.

-Your top priority is to find a sewing kit. You can 'a'ctivate it to repair clothing (note that with low tailoring, you can very easily damage the clothing instead of repairs, so practice by repairing junk clothing or crafting lots of socks), or 'a'ctivate it on full quality clothing to fit (which reduces their encumbrance by 1) and reinforce them, which increases the damage they absorb. This also opens up most of the crafting (&) items under Armor, which is extremely useful. Note that you'll need rags, which you can get by 'a'ctivating your pocket knife to shred junk clothing items. If you need more thread, you can get it by 's'mashing a window. The 3 foot string can be disassembled (select the string in your inventory, then 'D'isassemble it) into 6 6 inch strings, which can be disassembled into 50 thread apiece. Each window you see is 300 thread just waiting for you to use it.

-On the topic of clothing, it's one of the most important items in the game. There are five important stats: storage, warmth, protection, coverage, and encumbrance:

Storage increases the volume of items you can carry while you're wearing the article of clothing - items like Cargo Pants and Backpacks have very high storage, while items like a t-shirt have none. Volume is one of the limiters on how much loot you can carry, so it's important to have a large amount (I usually aim for 120, ymmv).

Warmth is a measure of how warm the clothing is - if you don't have enough when it gets cold you get frostbite, if you have too much when it gets warm you start to suffer severe pain. The game will warn you over on your status bar if you have too much/not enough warmth. There's a very wide range of acceptable temperatures though, usually the worst thing that not enough/too much clothing will cause is some morale penalties

Protection is a measure of how much damage the article absorbs if it's hit. Some attacks do bash damage (like zombie fists). Other attacks do cutting damage (like turrets). You want both, in large amounts.

Coverage, as the name suggests, is how much that article covers. You'll notice on the item's detail page (in the 'i'nventory screen, hit the key you see next to the item you want to view in detail) there's a covers category. This tells you which body part(s) the article of clothing covers. Coverage is the odds that an attack aimed at that body part will be absorbed by that layer of clothing. Higher is better - a wristwatch only stops 1% of attacks, a fursuit blocks everything. Be aware that some items which provide a lot of protection (arm guards, for example) have very low coverage, so layering multiple high coverage/low protection items may provide better armor than a single high protection/low coverage item.

Encumbrance is the godstat. You want it to be as low as possible. Encumbrance has negative effects depending on how much you have and on which part is encumbered. For example, hand encumbrance makes it harder to reload weapons, torso encumbrance severely increases the amount of time it takes to attack in melee, etc. Ideally you want to wear clothing with no encumbrance, which isn't too hard to find if you know what to look for. In particular, most cotton, leather, plastic, and kevlar clothing can be fitted, which reduces encumbrance by 1. A fitted 1 encumbrance item has 0 encumbrance, which means you can wear several layers of them over the same body part without being slowed down. Layering is important to get the best combination of traits. A Trenchcoat and Backpack offer moderate protection and fairly good storage. A Trenchcoat, two Survivor Vests, and an Army Jacket offers better storage, better protection, and fairly good warmth for the same encumbrance. Layering is a crucial survival skill.

-The character menu (@) is extremely useful. It shows you your stats, encumbrance and warmth, speed and effects, skills, and traits/mutations.

-You can 'G'rab shopping carts or wheelbarrows and drag them with you. Items 'd'ropped into them are added to the cart's inventory, which can massively increase the quantity of goods you can carry.

-Lastly, there are two non-obvious menus that will save you tons of time. The 'V' menu lists all the items and monsters your character can see, which can save you a lot of time looting, and can be very useful for finding unsmashed/unbutchered corpses. The second is the advanced inventory management screen (/), which gives you a sorted list of items in the spaces around you. No more keeping ordered piles of stuff in your home, just scoop it up and dump it in a giant pile and let the computer sort it out later. Much time saved.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8801 on: November 07, 2013, 03:47:47 pm »

So I found a mine...

Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8802 on: November 07, 2013, 03:49:09 pm »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8803 on: November 07, 2013, 05:03:46 pm »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8804 on: November 07, 2013, 05:39:36 pm »

It seems like I can't play the current experimental for all the crashing that happens. Whenever I approach a town, the whole thing just crashes for no real reason.
Pages: 1 ... 585 586 [587] 588 589 ... 1086