Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1777609 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #9210 on: December 03, 2013, 07:43:31 am »

O_o

Glyph and the rest: I really love what you did in the recent updates...I really wonder why I'm returning to play this over and over again x3

Anyways. Suggestion: I see some 'mutant_' tags in the mutations menu @debug. Or perhaps I just downloaded an experimental which would be filled in later on..I like the Lupine//Elfa (Elf A?) tree, and there are lizards too!
Hm.
Still love where this is all going. :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9211 on: December 03, 2013, 08:36:57 am »

O_o

Glyph and the rest: I really love what you did in the recent updates...I really wonder why I'm returning to play this over and over again x3

Anyways. Suggestion: I see some 'mutant_' tags in the mutations menu @debug. Or perhaps I just downloaded an experimental which would be filled in later on..I like the Lupine//Elfa (Elf A?) tree, and there are lizards too!
Hm.
Don't expect the debug to be made very pretty ever.  Also what was your suggestion?  All you did was make an observation :P

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9212 on: December 03, 2013, 09:25:47 am »

...Oops.

I meant suggest that there be a list of what mutation tree follows what mutation :P I don't see any mutagens for those that I've mentioned as of late.

..Nor on why there would be an Elven mutagen. xD 'Tis pretty cool though. [Yes I debugged for the Elfin eyes. Cosmetic effects, ahoy!]

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9213 on: December 03, 2013, 09:26:12 am »

O_o

Hm.
Don't expect the debug to be made very pretty ever.  Also what was your suggestion?  All you did was make an observation :P

But then we could be dirty elves? Isn't that something to suggest?

Dirty elves who'll get their face nommed :D

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9214 on: December 03, 2013, 09:30:29 am »

Well this 'dirty' elf has fought through blood and sweat to get where she is :I

A master at unarmed combat and Ninjutsu x3

Also I do like how brass knuckles and Punch Daggers really work on the unarmed combat instead of cutting/any weapon skill.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9215 on: December 03, 2013, 11:35:39 am »

Also I do like how brass knuckles and Punch Daggers really work on the unarmed combat instead of cutting/any weapon skill.

I've not used punch daggers due to me starting as a Military Recruit and getting the combat knife.

How useful are they for an unarmed character who doesn't have a bunch of skill :P

/obvious answer most likely.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9216 on: December 03, 2013, 01:18:15 pm »

I've not used punch daggers due to me starting as a Military Recruit and getting the combat knife.

How useful are they for an unarmed character who doesn't have a bunch of skill :P

/obvious answer most likely.

They're very fast and get a +4 hit bonus, so even a character with a low UC skill will still hit fairly often. They also have a "stab" flag, which means the game won't mistakenly use the improvised weapon sticking rules. It also has a volume of 1, which makes it a good backup melee weapon if your main weapon is a gun and you need the storage space (and don't want to bother with a bayonet). The drawback is they do 2 bash, 10 stab damage which isn't a whole lot. Even most improvised weapons do better damage.

If you're very strong, or can become very strong (Hydraulic Muscles bionic, for example), it's a great weapon for clearing out large numbers of zombies. Larger, slower swords tend to waste a lot of their damage/turn in overkill and extreme strength just exacerbates the problem. If there's a normal number of zombies and your character is only of average strength, you're probably better off with a Broadsword or Katana.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9217 on: December 03, 2013, 07:23:27 pm »

Guys, I always seem to die before I even get past finding a shelter. Any help?

How are you dying? Getting mobbed in town? Best to stick to the outskirts.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9218 on: December 03, 2013, 07:29:02 pm »

Don't take on too many zed at once, don't try to kill a zed in one sitting. Kite zed on bushes after lighting them on fire for extra damage, (And it comes with the benefit of not having to pulp/butcher the corpses too!) and don't wear too much- it'll encumber you.
I need to put something interesting here.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9220 on: December 03, 2013, 08:12:37 pm »

I get safe for like 2-3 days, then supplies run out, and I must go out for stuff. I often get an infection immediately, and return home to find zombies there.

Unless you disabled static spawn, there shouldn't be too many zombies where you've already cleared an area.

But what's with these infections? I've never gotten one, unless everyone's referring to infected bites, which are still rare, oddly enough.
I need to put something interesting here.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #9221 on: December 03, 2013, 09:23:32 pm »

Get/make bandages and find First aid kit(s) as a top priority. (Superglue or Duct tape+Rag+Booze=Bandage)
Always bandage all significant wounds, and first aid any wound that comes up with a message about it's condition.
Those two alone will keep your typical injuries in check.
If you avoid junk food when possible, and take your daily vitamin, you shouldn't get too many infections/illnesses in the first place.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9222 on: December 03, 2013, 09:41:07 pm »

I find bandages to be far more common than superglue...

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #9223 on: December 04, 2013, 12:55:52 am »

In the case of both superglue and duct tape, crafting them from components after raiding a few houses is far more reliable. (For me anyway.)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9224 on: December 04, 2013, 05:49:10 am »

I find bandages to be far more common than superglue...
^
And that..bandages can be improvised without superglue would be a good suggestion. Just would heal even less than a normal bandage would (clean water + rags as an alternative crafting formula?) :P

I get safe for like 2-3 days, then supplies run out, and I must go out for stuff. I often get an infection immediately, and return home to find zombies there.

Unless you disabled static spawn, there shouldn't be too many zombies where you've already cleared an area.

But what's with these infections? I've never gotten one, unless everyone's referring to infected bites, which are still rare, oddly enough.
Infected bites and swollen injuries.
Both from any kind of bite, moreso with zombie-sources. Infected appendages are denoted by a Blue coloration instead of the normal Grey, and seem...quite common (though I think its subjective, I'm more of a melee-unarmed fighter player. I guess those who don't see infections more have either a First aid kit at hand, or fight at range and don't get bitten). But infections can also be two things. The common cold, and the flu, if I'm not mistaken--in game.

I'm curious on how you're doing, Cmega3.
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 1086