Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1781999 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10710 on: March 09, 2014, 03:23:15 pm »

I have a question. If the vending machines still accept cash cards, that means they have power right? And if they have power, their refrigeration units should still be working.

But if their refrigeration units are still working... why are the gallons of milk inside them still always rotten?
Milk has actually been removed from vending machines. That said we should probably still add refrigeration to them, at the moment they don't refrigerate at all.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10711 on: March 09, 2014, 03:25:14 pm »

No. But milk keeps for 3ish weeks when sealed and kept cold. If milk is going bad the day you leave the shelter when in unpowered fridges, milk in a working fridge should still potentially be drinkable for a weekish or so, right.

I bought milk yesterday. Its sell by the 23rd. That's slightly more than two weeks. And that date is not hard and fast, milk is probably good a few days past the expiration date if you keep it cold and don't leave it out.

There are vending machines around here with milk in them. I think schools have them frequently as well. Just make it plastic bottles instead of gallons.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 03:26:52 pm by Kaitol »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10712 on: March 09, 2014, 03:30:28 pm »

Maybe the milk in CDDA is non-UHT?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10713 on: March 09, 2014, 03:32:17 pm »

I have a question. If the vending machines still accept cash cards, that means they have power right? And if they have power, their refrigeration units should still be working.

But if their refrigeration units are still working... why are the gallons of milk inside them still always rotten?
Milk has actually been removed from vending machines. That said we should probably still add refrigeration to them, at the moment they don't refrigerate at all.
Yeah, milk in vending machines is odd. I mean, half-liter bottles and beer cans are one thing. But gallon jugs of milk?

In other news, driving around at night with just the two original headlights is kinda scary. As soon as I get more charges for the welder or more duct tape, I'm sticking all my spare flashlights onto the frame to point everywhichway so I can see better.

Speaking of which. I'm kinda disappointed that there are only two means to put something together. Duct tape, and welder+goggles. In reality, there is at least one other one - power drill and bolts, especially true for vehicle construction. You already need a wrench to put stuff together. How hard would it be to add a power drill + bolts attachment method?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10714 on: March 09, 2014, 03:35:40 pm »

I wonder if you can boil spoiled milk if you get to it quick enough to purify it enough to make safe to drink....

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10715 on: March 09, 2014, 04:05:57 pm »

Boiling spoiled milk will ruin the taste.

But no, the primary cause of food poisoning is not the bacteria, but the toxins produced by said bacteria.Those toxins aren't destroyed by boiling.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10716 on: March 09, 2014, 04:16:41 pm »

When I lived in Central America irradiated milk was fairly common. Or, some sort of boxed milk with a really long shelf life. I don't do much shopping anymore, but is that a thing in the States?
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10717 on: March 09, 2014, 04:27:32 pm »

When I lived in Central America irradiated milk was fairly common. Or, some sort of boxed milk with a really long shelf life. I don't do much shopping anymore, but is that a thing in the States?
If it is I've never seen it. Milk powder yes, but irradiated milk no.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10718 on: March 09, 2014, 04:32:15 pm »

UHT milk could exist there. Although I would much prefer to see milkable cows and then play Cataclysm as a URW simulator with zombies.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10719 on: March 09, 2014, 04:36:41 pm »

UHT milk could exist there. Although I would much prefer to see milkable cows and then play Cataclysm as a URW simulator with zombies.
I could just see milking zombie cows.  :P

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10720 on: March 09, 2014, 04:51:59 pm »

They do have special sterile milk which they box in a special way and is used in climates where milk spoils to fast. Mostly places without dependable electricity. It just costs to much comparatively to do it that way in most places when you can just throw normal milk in the frig. You can probably find it in specialty shops of various types but by and far you wouldn't find it on a normal shopping trip.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10721 on: March 09, 2014, 05:16:17 pm »

There's sterilized and UHT (we call it "ultra-pasteurized") milk everywhere around here. Pretty long shelf life, but I never see the point of buying it - it just gets consumed too quickly to warrant overpaying for shelf life.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10722 on: March 09, 2014, 05:24:37 pm »

It goes bad faster than rawmilk and you can drink it when it goes bad.

But aslong as it is not opened it lasts a while.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10723 on: March 09, 2014, 06:25:56 pm »

Actually, it was cheaper than the normal milk, because I don't know why. Maybe it was because refrigerated trucks couldn't run everywhere and were more expensive. But it was everywhere, and most of the time it was the only milk you'd find at the store. Usually ran at just over a dollar for a liter, if I remember correctly. Maybe two dollars depending on the brand. A gallon of normal milk ran somewhere in the range of five dollars and tasted worse than the treated milk.

If I ever go back, it definitely won't be for the milk.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10724 on: March 09, 2014, 06:46:56 pm »

On the milk subject:

Here in Argentina, boxed milk is pretty common, and they cost slightly more than the fresh variety of milk. I actually have over 50 liters of it in my house (damn inflation).
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 1086