Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1782039 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10725 on: March 09, 2014, 06:57:53 pm »

So, I'm finally starting to get this game now. Just had 2 playthroughs that did surprisingly well. At least compared to how I fared in earlier releases.

First attempt I started as a bowhunter with good stats (around 12-14 each, I was using a 25 point base) and managed to survive quite awhile. I convinced the starting NPC to follow me, and pretty much immediately found a platoon of dead soldiers, guarded only by two zombie soldiers.
So naturally I let the other guy go melee while I plinked them with my carbon fiber arrows until they died. After searching them and their squaddies I ended up with pretty much full military gear, including a Modular Bullet Resistant Vest (which are awesome btw) that fit, so I took the ceramic out of it and found one that DIDN'T fit with steel plates and switched them so I was wearing a fitting vest with steel plates :)

I also have finally started to understand crafting, and the importance of fire in it. Fire hardened arrows were the order of the day, whereas before I was constantly dying from drinking toiletwater and puking self to death :P

After passing the soldiers corpses I continued into the woods and found a cabin, which would turn into my home base of sorts. At one point I was reading Under the Hood on a sofa while a Coyote tried impotently to get into the closed window. I eventually got tired of the interruptions and just opened the window to knife it, but had no knife skill and got mildly mauled before switching to closer range archery and generally making a mess of the upholstery.

Unfortunately, it didn't last, because I had forgotten to butcher the zombie soldiers and had run out of both meatshields and things that could penetrate armor. So I spawned a bunch of NPCs and a mininuke that went off pretty much in my face. I think the zombies were the only things that were LEFT after I did that :P

So yeah, I'm no longer dying to unsavory water sources, but I certainly have a LONG way to go before I master this game.

Which now has dinosaurs.

Except I've been playing with "classic zombies" on which apparently cancels that out.
Or there aren't anywhere near the amount of dinos one would expect from a dino mod :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10726 on: March 09, 2014, 07:03:14 pm »

Let me rephrase what I said to include anywhere that a lot of cows are present such as America and such. Maybe some places which are a part of Continental US have an easier access to it but having knowledge of California, Pennsylvania, and Michigan plus somewhat of the states between PA and MI its not a regularly available product in those places as cows are everywhere and its cheaper to to have regular milk. With the setting that Cata takes place in they would not have access to it with any regularity. Also just thought of it but we could use some livestock farms rather then just plant farms.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: March 09, 2014, 07:10:43 pm »

Let me rephrase what I said to include anywhere that a lot of cows are present such as America and such. Maybe some places which are a part of Continental US have an easier access to it but having knowledge of California, Pennsylvania, and Michigan plus somewhat of the states between PA and MI its not a regularly available product in those places as cows are everywhere and its cheaper to to have regular milk. With the setting that Cata takes place in they would not have access to it with any regularity. Also just thought of it but we could use some livestock farms rather then just plant farms.

I'm going to make the first Zombie Dude Ranch.

Also I now realize I need a way to capture zombies and a place to put them where they won't break everything to do so.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: March 09, 2014, 07:15:44 pm »

I actually have over 50 liters of it in my house.
What are you doing with 50 litres of milk? That is a large amount.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: March 09, 2014, 07:33:47 pm »

I actually have over 50 liters of it in my house.
What are you doing with 50 litres of milk? That is a large amount.

Price fluctuations means you buy cheap and stock up.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: March 09, 2014, 07:34:32 pm »

We seriously derailed this thread due to an offhand comment about vending machines and milk.

Holy crap.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: March 09, 2014, 07:35:50 pm »

In other news, driving around at night with just the two original headlights is kinda scary. As soon as I get more charges for the welder or more duct tape, I'm sticking all my spare flashlights onto the frame to point everywhichway so I can see better.

Speaking of which. I'm kinda disappointed that there are only two means to put something together. Duct tape, and welder+goggles. In reality, there is at least one other one - power drill and bolts, especially true for vehicle construction. You already need a wrench to put stuff together. How hard would it be to add a power drill + bolts attachment method?
A point on this: Get Floodlights instead.  They're very large circles of light, instead of cones.  I put them on the corners of vehicles, and inside, and get full coverage.  They burn quite a bit of battery power though!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: March 09, 2014, 07:43:53 pm »

In relation to the serum thing, I was messing around with mutagens and such (read: cheating them into existence) and found the trog ones did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
Ever.

I spawned hundreds of trog serum (not normal mutagen, straight up serum) and all I ever got was the message "as you press the plunger, everything goes bright"
After reading some of the thread it looks like trogs have NO pre-transform traits. So how do I trog? Without cheating I mean.

Seeing as its the only path that nets me sweet sweet regeneration that doesn't involve the hazardous slime path, its a serious concern of mine.

Indeed, I do this.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: March 09, 2014, 07:46:44 pm »

In relation to the serum thing, I was messing around with mutagens and such (read: cheating them into existence) and found the trog ones did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
Ever.

I spawned hundreds of trog serum (not normal mutagen, straight up serum) and all I ever got was the message "as you press the plunger, everything goes bright"
After reading some of the thread it looks like trogs have NO pre-transform traits. So how do I trog? Without cheating I mean.

Seeing as its the only path that nets me sweet sweet regeneration that doesn't involve the hazardous slime path, its a serious concern of mine.

I'm imagining a guy bloated and bursting from every orifice with trog serum, and being confused that he still feels normal.  I would be, too.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: March 09, 2014, 09:38:46 pm »

FUCK ERIC.

Seriously, that guy was a douche.

Basically I was minding my own business, waiting for dawn in THE SHELTER I STARTED IN, then some hick with a shotgun RUNS UP IN MY SHELTER AND TELLS ME TO LEAVE.

Now this would be one thing, but because I was waiting for dawn at the time, he got impatient and started blasting me, so I legged it AND HE FOLLOWED ME MILES DOWN THE ROAD AND BLASTED MY RIGHT ARM OFF.

So I spawned a mininuke and gave him a present.
Fucking dick NPC.

But yeah, I'm thinking when someone runs up and talks to you all waiting or whatever should be cancelled so this doesn't happen.

Indeed, I do this.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: March 09, 2014, 09:43:13 pm »

Ever.

I'm imagining a guy bloated and bursting from every orifice with trog serum, and being confused that he still feels normal.  I would be, too.

Hey, GrizzlyAdamz passed this along.  Looks like there was a name-disconnect in the code, so it wasn't properly checking for the mutation level.  My apologies and I'll have a fix out within the hour.  Thanks for the report, all.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: March 09, 2014, 09:44:25 pm »

Zombies spawn in Shelter Basements!

Fuck fuck fuck
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: March 09, 2014, 09:53:20 pm »

On the 10th day of my character survival, i decided to start building various lockers to put all the stuff i accumulated from my city expedition inside, so my base of operation would be a bit cleaner instead of having various pile of items spread around.

Once i completed my first locker, i decided this one would be for the ammo i gathered so far, so i picked everything i could , pressed E and pressed the direction to the locker (as it was usually how i picked things from inside those containers, i thought it would be as simple as that to do the opposite)

But no, it didn't worked.

After trying several things, i finally pressed /  the key for "advanced inventory management" and after figuring out how those panels worked, i was finally able to put the items i wanted inside of the locker.

That seems to me a bit overcomplicated for an action that seemed so simple in theory , so am i missing something or do you really have to setup the "advanced inventory management" every time you want to move items to a container ?

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: March 09, 2014, 09:54:44 pm »

shift-d is directional drop, and dropping items onto a locker/shelf ect puts it inside

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10739 on: March 09, 2014, 09:56:20 pm »

also, is there a point to layering armor? my helmet lining seems to work just as good outside my helmet
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 1086