Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1781916 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10740 on: March 09, 2014, 09:58:27 pm »

also, is there a point to layering armor? my helmet lining seems to work just as good outside my helmet
Outer equipment is more likely to be damaged first, so putting things higher in the list will result in that being the most exposed to attack.  For instance, I often layer leather atop kevlar, because leather is cheaper to repair, and normal zombie attacks just stop at the leather.  But if I get shot or mauled by a bear, that kevlar starts working and taking the brunt of the blows.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10741 on: March 09, 2014, 10:02:33 pm »

<snip-KA101>
You also need to have dreamed the relevant dreams, in order to cross the threshold. Level 3 bear dreams that is.  It could also be that the bear mutant catagory doesn't have enough stand-alone mutations to be able to have the dreams to cross the threshold.  In that case go to mutations. json and add a few MUTCAT_BEAR to a few categories.

A good one in-line with bears would be the tough mutation line.  I don't know why the bear mutant category doesn't have it, as a bears toughness is legendary...

Remember innate traits(that you picked a character gen) do not count towards a mutation category.  I had that problem when I had a high point character with literally most of the starting traits-I couldn't get the dreams to cross the threshold because my innate traits did not count towards the category I wanted.

Hm, how do mutation thresholds work?
If it's based on point-costs, one could add a mutation with a billion points in the chosen MUTCAT & obtain it with the debug menu.

Mutation threshold-breach checks are a straight X in Y: your mutation score in the injected category over your mutation score in all categories.  If you've mutated a LOT, it may be tougher to get mutations from the less-powerful categories.

Mutation score = 8 points per mutation that has the relevant category flag, plus one point for every mutation previous to your current mutation that also has the flag.  Quick & dirty example: Lynx Fur gives +8 for Feline, +1 for predecessor Sleek Fur (also Feline).  In practice, just have a lot of mutations in your chosen category, and not a lot in others.

(Alpha was particularly bad at people having the traits from the start, FWIW.  Thinking we fixed that: let me know if you've problems.)

I don't check Bay 12 particularly often, so apologies for the delay.  PM me on the DDA forums if you've a mutation issue, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Hoping to get the Slime post-threshold mutations finished up tonight.  Probably will need tomorrow too at this rate, though.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10742 on: March 09, 2014, 10:08:25 pm »

shift-d is directional drop, and dropping items onto a locker/shelf ect puts it inside

thank you, looks like i overlooked that entry on the command list.

question about the inventory, as it's now possible to use the mouse to move and look at the tiles, is there some plan to allow mouse usage instead of only keys for inventory/item management ?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10743 on: March 09, 2014, 10:15:09 pm »

Are braziers supposed to kick up so much smoke in a room? I don't remember having that problem with stone fireplaces.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10744 on: March 09, 2014, 10:22:37 pm »

Probably, a brazier contains the fire but it is basically just a metal plate you setup while the fireplace is setup with ventilation in mind and what not.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10745 on: March 09, 2014, 10:22:42 pm »

Stone fireplaces have chimneys that vent smoke. Braziers don't.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10746 on: March 10, 2014, 12:03:45 am »

My hooves are cold, and it's making me sick.  Is there anything I can do about this at all?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10747 on: March 10, 2014, 12:07:44 am »

I don't know how far they have gotten with the specialized clothing so at the least you can probably stand near a fire. Since it is cold I assume you made it to the fall so its not a new character. If you have a wood axe then knock a tree over and cut it into 2x4s, it makes so many they will last you the winter easily.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10748 on: March 10, 2014, 12:33:19 am »

I don't know how far they have gotten with the specialized clothing so at the least you can probably stand near a fire. Since it is cold I assume you made it to the fall so its not a new character. If you have a wood axe then knock a tree over and cut it into 2x4s, it makes so many they will last you the winter easily.

Not just the 2x4's, one tree gave me something like 300 splintered wood. So nice. I'm always starting as lumberjack now.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10749 on: March 10, 2014, 12:34:36 am »

I'm actually only halfway through spring.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10750 on: March 10, 2014, 12:42:19 am »

If you can find a Sew What? Clothing! book, there's a "fetlock furs" recipe.  Fetlocks are the 'wrist' part of a horse's hoof, so I assume those fit on mutated hooves.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #10751 on: March 10, 2014, 12:57:23 am »

<snip-KA101>
You also need to have dreamed the relevant dreams, in order to cross the threshold. Level 3 bear dreams that is.  It could also be that the bear mutant catagory doesn't have enough stand-alone mutations to be able to have the dreams to cross the threshold.  In that case go to mutations. json and add a few MUTCAT_BEAR to a few categories.

A good one in-line with bears would be the tough mutation line.  I don't know why the bear mutant category doesn't have it, as a bears toughness is legendary...

Remember innate traits(that you picked a character gen) do not count towards a mutation category.  I had that problem when I had a high point character with literally most of the starting traits-I couldn't get the dreams to cross the threshold because my innate traits did not count towards the category I wanted.

Hm, how do mutation thresholds work?
If it's based on point-costs, one could add a mutation with a billion points in the chosen MUTCAT & obtain it with the debug menu.

Mutation threshold-breach checks are a straight X in Y: your mutation score in the injected category over your mutation score in all categories.  If you've mutated a LOT, it may be tougher to get mutations from the less-powerful categories.

Mutation score = 8 points per mutation that has the relevant category flag, plus one point for every mutation previous to your current mutation that also has the flag.  Quick & dirty example: Lynx Fur gives +8 for Feline, +1 for predecessor Sleek Fur (also Feline).  In practice, just have a lot of mutations in your chosen category, and not a lot in others.

(Alpha was particularly bad at people having the traits from the start, FWIW.  Thinking we fixed that: let me know if you've problems.)

I don't check Bay 12 particularly often, so apologies for the delay.  PM me on the DDA forums if you've a mutation issue, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Hoping to get the Slime post-threshold mutations finished up tonight.  Probably will need tomorrow too at this rate, though.

Thank you!
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10752 on: March 10, 2014, 01:05:53 am »

A cold is only supposed to last 1-4 days right? because I'm pretty sure I've had it for over a week now and its really killing me. The coughing is waking me up constantly which means my character has been in exhausted for a whole week. Despite getting more sleep than I usually do. With time dilation that means I've had this cold for over a month and a half. Which is really kind of silly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10753 on: March 10, 2014, 01:11:26 am »

A cold is only supposed to last 1-4 days right? because I'm pretty sure I've had it for over a week now and its really killing me. The coughing is waking me up constantly which means my character has been in exhausted for a whole week. Despite getting more sleep than I usually do. With time dilation that means I've had this cold for over a month and a half. Which is really kind of silly.
You likely recover and get another cold immediately.  I suggest wearing a mask at all times, to prevent ALL disease.  In the short term, you can debug in a royal jelly, which cures all sickness, and then wear your mask.  Otherwise, best ways to stay healthy are to eat healthy, take vitamins, and take flu shots.  Health is actually tracked, junk food hurts and vitamins help.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10754 on: March 10, 2014, 01:12:09 am »

Repeating a question, because I am genuinely curious.
Speaking of which. I'm kinda disappointed that there are only two means to put something together. Duct tape, and welder+goggles. In reality, there is at least one other one - power drill and bolts, especially true for vehicle construction. You already need a wrench to put stuff together. How hard would it be to add a power drill + bolts attachment method?
Having looked at the raws jsons, it seems that in regards to vehicle construction at least, it's hardcoded.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 1086