Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1781924 times)

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10755 on: March 10, 2014, 01:15:57 am »

If you can find a Sew What? Clothing! book, there's a "fetlock furs" recipe.  Fetlocks are the 'wrist' part of a horse's hoof, so I assume those fit on mutated hooves.

That's the idea.  In practice, anything with "XL" in the name fits on your (relevant) mutated body part, too.  "Fetlock furs" were an early attempt at mutation-friendly gear.

re disease: booze generally hurts and mutations take it out of you, too.  Vitamins are a good one-per day sort of thing, or one per mutagen dose if you're going post-human.  Flu shot is about 10x as effective as vitamins, but can take your health over the vitamin cap so it's best taken when healthy.

Your health generally normalizes to 0, all else being equal: that's not guaranteed disease territory, but it's not terribly protected against 'em either.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10756 on: March 10, 2014, 02:45:01 am »

Okay, so apparently it is entirely hardcoded. What's worse it checks for the exact item IDs - "screwdriver", "wrench", "welder", etc.

I guess my proposition would then be manyfold. First off, replace the checks for specific IDs with checks for specific flags - TOOL_SCREWDRIVER, TOOL_WELDER, TOOL_WRENCH, etc. Checking for a flag is not much harder than checking for a given ID, as far as I can see at least. Have the "charges" variable be drawn from the tool's 'charges_per_use' regardless of the tool ID. Then edit all existing tools to have their corresponding flags. (might need a new function for that, a-la "has_ready_tool_class" that checks for an item with a given flag that has either has no 'charges_per_use' or has as many free charges as its 'charges_per_use'... as well as a few other functions down the line, it seems)

Second, add the cordless drill tool. Fluff it as having a compartment for various bits, from wood/metal drills to screwdrivers and torque wrench heads. Effectively, it will perform as a wrench, screwdriver, and "drill" - drill being the new tool type - compact and lightweight single item, at the cost of using power.

Third, implement the "drill" tool type, and "bolts" to complement nails as construction fodder. Its use could be expanded over time, but its primary use is in construction, replacing the welder and duct tape for attaching things to other things. The idea being, you put the two objects together, drill some holes in the overlap, and fasten them with bolts. The drill's power use is much lower than a welder's - it might use as little as 10 or 15 charges to the welder's 50, allowing to save on that. But it will need bolts, which must be either found or crafted. Bolts can be crafted from scrap as most simple metal items, but must either require a high skill, or a bolt threader.
And of course you can use the drill as a weapon.

Just tossing some variety into the game. I'd undertake it myself, if the new SDL2 version were more compli..compil..compliant with compiling.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10757 on: March 10, 2014, 02:53:47 am »

They where working on it or rather they were working on implementing cutting as a flag so recipes didn't have every potential knife you could use to cut stuff. I would have to assume something like that is in the works or being planned in some form.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10758 on: March 10, 2014, 03:06:49 am »

Don't recipes just say "requires tool with cutting quality 1" already? Unless the exact implementation is hardcoded, you can already add other tool qualities and check for them in recipes.

I.e. there's
Code: [Select]
  "qualities" : [
    {"id":"CUT","level":1,"amount":1}
  ],
in the recipe, and
Code: [Select]
    {
        "type" : "tool_quality",
        "id" : "CUT",
        "name" : "cutting quality"
    }
in tool_qualities.json.

The problem is, the exact code probably doesn't account for charge-using tools.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:09:29 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10759 on: March 10, 2014, 03:12:00 am »

You misunderstand what I meant. I was stating they had done that with cutting tools already and where probably planning to do it with the stuff you suggested. They probably started with cutting because so many things are like that where as screwdriver like objects only count a few items.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10760 on: March 10, 2014, 03:22:06 am »

Hammer-like objects are plentiful. Pot-like objects for boiling water. Welder-like objects. Thread-like objects. Plus there need to be optional selections (i.e. either a welder quality 1 plus protective eyewear, or adhesive tape quality 3, or drill quality 2 plus bolts) and a way to display charges used for everything. I'm not saying these should be done right nowz, but it seems like a low-hanging enough fruit to tackle. It'll break all kinds of compatibility though. Maybe that's why nobody wants doing it for now.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:24:03 am by Sean Mirrsen »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10761 on: March 10, 2014, 05:03:36 am »

So, playing 0.A, and I am not getting this:

Debug Duration <Some Numbers>
Press Space Bar

and the number changes and the number of times I have to press the space bar changes as well.

Whats up with this?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10762 on: March 10, 2014, 07:41:34 am »

In relation to the serum thing, I was messing around with mutagens and such (read: cheating them into existence) and found the trog ones did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
Ever.

I spawned hundreds of trog serum (not normal mutagen, straight up serum) and all I ever got was the message "as you press the plunger, everything goes bright"
After reading some of the thread it looks like trogs have NO pre-transform traits. So how do I trog? Without cheating I mean.

Seeing as its the only path that nets me sweet sweet regeneration that doesn't involve the hazardous slime path, its a serious concern of mine.

I'm imagining a guy bloated and bursting from every orifice with trog serum, and being confused that he still feels normal.  I would be, too.

Hey, GrizzlyAdamz passed this along.  Looks like there was a name-disconnect in the code, so it wasn't properly checking for the mutation level.  My apologies and I'll have a fix out within the hour.  Thanks for the report, all.

:) THANKIES.

Er...so where do I find the fix? Should I just re-download the full game? I don't have any living characters right now, so its not a big deal if so.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:53:22 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

bertix

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is over-rated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10763 on: March 10, 2014, 08:35:56 am »

Could we possibly bundle freetype, libpng and zlib, into the windows, while I understand that most systems have these installed post windows 8.1 don't, and require the dll to be in the root of the game folder for tiles to even function.
Set phasers to tsun.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10764 on: March 10, 2014, 09:29:53 am »

So, playing 0.A, and I am not getting this:

Debug Duration <Some Numbers>
Press Space Bar

and the number changes and the number of times I have to press the space bar changes as well.

Whats up with this?

I got similar when I killed the rat king except it was 'zombie spawn' or some such. Had to spam spacebar with a blank screen after the first notice.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10765 on: March 10, 2014, 11:13:41 am »

I get that every now and then. If you (save) quit out and start it back up it should work fine... or, at least does for me.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10766 on: March 10, 2014, 11:50:57 am »

First Survivor in the new version is working out well for me. He's a Martial Artist, spawned out on the edge of a small town. I found a shopping cart in the parking lot of a nearby mine and was able to loot a pawn shop with a minimum of fuss which included some very handy gear (including a broadsword and a morning star). I then looted a nearby house and made it my base. Conveniently, it had a basement full of guns and ammo, so I have no shortage of weapons.

After a day of resting up while a lightning storm raged outside and preparing things I bit I trekked out to a nearby library. I now have a fairly extensive selection of books, a ton of weapons of all sorts, and enough food to last me at least a decent while after some wolves decided to take me on. They don't last too long against a broadsword, turns out.

Still seriously lacking in a lot of supplies, especially medical ones, but things are looking good so far. I've got a grocery store and pharmacy on the map and not too far away, so as long as the zombie count near them isn't too high I should be good.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10767 on: March 10, 2014, 12:23:55 pm »

Any tips on dealing with 20 normals zeds at the same time? (Without burning loot).

I can just kite a few of them, but it is boring

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10768 on: March 10, 2014, 12:34:23 pm »

If you can pile on as much 0-enc high-coverage items, even made of cotton, it builds up and you can deflect a lot of attacks.  You don't need an armor suit to be a tank, you can also just wear 2 trench coats, a few Tshirts, a few undershirts...  Armor is cumulative.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10769 on: March 10, 2014, 12:37:33 pm »

I have found that a set of power armor and a power armor helmet is strong enough to deflect almost all attacks, despite the massive encumbrance.

That was on the old version, though.  Also I found that Dodge trains very quickly; I got it as high as 17 in a couple of months.
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 1086