Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 722 723 [724] 725 726 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1759227 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10845 on: March 11, 2014, 10:54:29 am »

On 1st aid - there are no antibiotics in a first aid kit, so it doesn't help with infection, only feel bite wounds.

On infection/bite - it can heal on its own, but the majority of times happen during the bite stage.

On cauterization - it only helps with bite wounds, not infected ones. It only has a chance of success, and can actually make your wounds much worse if it fails (since in real life cauterization is fairly worthless against infection).
thanks for confirmation, so i guess the 1st infection then healed from its own as i had the "recovering from infection message oddly after taking a few 1st aid kits that are useless for such infection, for the 2nd one maybe a combination of everything helped in the end.

On save files - we recently moved to a modularized map system, so it saves/loads in many small chunks rather then one huge file, granting a huge speed up in saving/loading times (and removing the old map size limits)
Does that mean we're going to have several dozen of thousands of small files again like in the original Cataclysm early versions if we explore a lot of the world ?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10846 on: March 11, 2014, 11:04:11 am »

Probably, I wasn't personally involved with the save rewrite so I only have a general idea of how it works.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10847 on: March 11, 2014, 11:16:49 am »

I've got a... well, a "problem" is when something is bad, right now it's just... curious.

So, I've been doing my first bit of driving, then a little crafting, and it's been pitch dark for a while now. Then, spontaneously, after a little bit of crafting/cooking by the fireside and reading a book in the headlights... I have a vision range of five tiles. In the dead of night. Really, it's 2 AM, and I have vision like I'm carrying a glowstick or a nearly dead flashlight - none of which I am. I can't find a mention of anything like a "full moon" which could explain this particularly good lighting, so I'm kinda curious. Is this a bug or a feature? Low light adaptation? What's going on?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 11:40:28 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10848 on: March 11, 2014, 11:21:54 am »

There are moonlight levels, yeah.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10849 on: March 11, 2014, 11:43:31 am »

Aha. So I suspected.

There should probably be a "describe weather" button somewhere. The status readout is one thing, but having some more detailed descriptions like this could be neat.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10850 on: March 11, 2014, 11:53:21 am »

On spawning - it checks if a tile is "inside", i.e. if it has a roof. If it does, it won't spawn anything there dynamically. No enclosure checking is actually done.

Which is what I suspected, wild animals are air-dropped in!

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10851 on: March 11, 2014, 11:57:24 am »

I've been sleeping in my starting shelter for awhile now. Went to sleep and woke up with a moose in my face because i left the door open. I saw my life flash before my eyes, fortunately i sleep with my M4. Emmy the M4 has saved me from many things from Hulks to Moose. In short, make sure you close the damn doors before you sleep.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10852 on: March 11, 2014, 12:01:43 pm »

Probably, I wasn't personally involved with the save rewrite so I only have a general idea of how it works.
ah, too bad, it was fun while it lasted.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10853 on: March 11, 2014, 12:10:16 pm »

So, how is "Static Spawn" static, exactly? Is that just for zombies? Since I've noticed wildlife are still very abundant, and I kill off a bunch every day.

Also, all this talk about vehicles. How does one acquire a car or something so quickly? The absolute best that I've come across was a car in a Public Works garage, without controls. I didn't have the Mechanics skill required to replace it, and I didn't want to grind remove parts from a nearby car, so I debugged in some mechanics skill. Even then, though, that's the best and only vehicle I've driven in, what, roughly 20 characters? How do you find and replace parts, as well as acquire fuel, so fast?

Like that person with the APC.  :-\
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10854 on: March 11, 2014, 12:13:44 pm »

Just zombies.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10855 on: March 11, 2014, 12:15:43 pm »

Zombie spawn is static, animals still spawn normally.

As for vehicles, you basically have to get lucky i suppose, for fuel you need a gas station at which point I (I make no claims that my way is the best way though) fill up bottles, jugs, jerrycans, whatever extra stuff i have until i get solar panels. Never found any Armored cars myself though.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10856 on: March 11, 2014, 12:32:28 pm »

I...haven't had ANY success with vehicles either. Granted I haven't had much success in "not being ganked by hillbillies who think they own the universe" either, but still :P

I suppose if I found a defunct APC my best bet would be to attach the bicycle control things to it.

Flintstone Vehicle Solutions takes no responsibility for the extreme awesomeness one would feel at peddling around a military vehicle.

But seriously, is something like that even possible?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10857 on: March 11, 2014, 12:35:43 pm »

Bicycle pedals produce speed depending on your strength, and if you don't have enough strength to pedal something then it won't move.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10858 on: March 11, 2014, 12:39:41 pm »

Do animals hunt one another in the new version? Because every time I go outside my base I find animal corpses everywhere. Seems odd that they'd hunt but not eat the body, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10859 on: March 11, 2014, 12:46:34 pm »

Acid rain kills them all. 

Great survival training, but they often show up faster than someone can reasonably butcher them all, and from my experience piling them all up and burning them isn't enough to remove them.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 722 723 [724] 725 726 ... 1086