Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1759841 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10860 on: March 11, 2014, 12:49:30 pm »

They do, occasionally, fight each other.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10861 on: March 11, 2014, 12:50:21 pm »

Do bicycle pedals count as an engine?  I.e. could you hook them up to an alternator and achieve TRUE GREEN (non-solar) ENERGY?  :P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10862 on: March 11, 2014, 12:54:43 pm »

Alternators can only be installed on a tile with a gasoline engine.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10863 on: March 11, 2014, 01:00:37 pm »

Alternators can only be installed on a tile with a gasoline engine.

Drat.  Is that moddable?  I quite like the idea of my character slaving away for hours on end just to store up enough power to run a small 30 watt bulb, ala Red Dwarf:P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10864 on: March 11, 2014, 06:57:04 pm »

Hitting an odd issue while trying to mod.  I'm trying to modify the recipe for the rebar_rifle in a mod file, but it says that it's hitting an id clash.  This confuses me, mainly because the recipe has no id, it only has a result, and there's other items with multiple crafting recipes, such as tentacle stockings.  So, what do?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10865 on: March 11, 2014, 07:48:13 pm »

I'm not certain but in the case of tentacle stockings they both seem to have the same id but they have an id suffix "from rags" and "from stockings" respectively.  If you are making a duplicate rebar rifle maybe try adding the line
Code: [Select]
"id_suffix": "custom",and see if that fixes it?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10866 on: March 11, 2014, 08:08:41 pm »

Ah, interesting...  Although I'm also trying to modify the original recipe instead of having two options.  I guess that'll do, though!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10867 on: March 11, 2014, 09:19:07 pm »

Found my first functioning car; then take trips into town for about a week, culling zeds until I can fill a gallon jug with gas. Get to the car, fill it up, start driving home.

Not 2 tiles later, a zed bear runs in. "You hear a crash from the southeast."

All I could think.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10868 on: March 11, 2014, 09:20:55 pm »

So apparently "Twitch Plays Cataclysm" is a thing. I just stopped by here to say that, because that's pretty neat.

http://www.twitch.tv/ajwilli1
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10869 on: March 11, 2014, 10:18:34 pm »

Possible bug or oversight?  The Heat Drain bionic is supposed to generate charge when using unarmed strikes on warm-blooded enemies.  The "tiger claws" item has the flag for being unarmed, but heat drain doesn't function unless using "fists" specifically.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10870 on: March 11, 2014, 11:02:58 pm »

Repeating a question, because I am genuinely curious.
Speaking of which. I'm kinda disappointed that there are only two means to put something together. Duct tape, and welder+goggles. In reality, there is at least one other one - power drill and bolts, especially true for vehicle construction. You already need a wrench to put stuff together. How hard would it be to add a power drill + bolts attachment method?
Having looked at the raws jsons, it seems that in regards to vehicle construction at least, it's hardcoded.
This is fairly high on our TODO list, specifically adding components/tools (a la construction recipes) to vehicle part definitions, so you can say e.g. that attaching a "headlight" (flashlight) or rear-view mirror with duct tape works, but you need a welder to attach metal frames, doors, etc.
On save files - we recently moved to a modularized map system, so it saves/loads in many small chunks rather then one huge file, granting a huge speed up in saving/loading times (and removing the old map size limits)
Does that mean we're going to have several dozen of thousands of small files again like in the original Cataclysm early versions if we explore a lot of the world ?
Yes and no.  There will be thousands to millions of files generated depending on how much you explore. However the game does not load them all at once like original cataclysm did, and it breaks them up into subdirectories so the number of files per directory doesn't get out of hand (which is what was causing problems on windows in original cataclysm from what I understand).  It loads the files on demand as you approach the area, and if it becomes an issue I can have the game write them back to disk and free the memory as you move away.  If that does become a problem, a save/quit/start/load cycle will write your map data to disk, and post here, IRC, github, or the DDA forums to let me know it's becoming a problem and I'll take a look at implementing that.  I don't want to waste time on it if it's not a problem.
Hitting an odd issue while trying to mod.  I'm trying to modify the recipe for the rebar_rifle in a mod file, but it says that it's hitting an id clash.  This confuses me, mainly because the recipe has no id, it only has a result, and there's other items with multiple crafting recipes, such as tentacle stockings.  So, what do?
You got the correct answer already, (thanks Greiger), but the "result" of a recipe is an item id.  Maybe we should have called it recipe_id.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10871 on: March 12, 2014, 04:33:31 am »

In relation to the serum thing, I was messing around with mutagens and such (read: cheating them into existence) and found the trog ones did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
Ever.

I spawned hundreds of trog serum (not normal mutagen, straight up serum) and all I ever got was the message "as you press the plunger, everything goes bright"
After reading some of the thread it looks like trogs have NO pre-transform traits. So how do I trog? Without cheating I mean.

Seeing as its the only path that nets me sweet sweet regeneration that doesn't involve the hazardous slime path, its a serious concern of mine.

I'm imagining a guy bloated and bursting from every orifice with trog serum, and being confused that he still feels normal.  I would be, too.

Hey, GrizzlyAdamz passed this along.  Looks like there was a name-disconnect in the code, so it wasn't properly checking for the mutation level.  My apologies and I'll have a fix out within the hour.  Thanks for the report, all.

:) THANKIES.

Er...so where do I find the fix? Should I just re-download the full game? I don't have any living characters right now, so its not a big deal if so.

Yeah, latest experimental has it.  Sorry I wasn't back here earlier.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10872 on: March 12, 2014, 05:32:35 am »

Does anyone else have odd screen refresh issues with the latest Windows graphical experimental? I mean, say, when sleeping, or auto-moving with the mouse, the screen does not refresh until the action resolves - meaning that you can't see what is happening while it is happening. Also pop-up windows that require you to press space to continue, such as the message when you can't recraft an item, clear after pressing any key - but won't actually dismiss until space is pressed, meaning the game will be stuck until you figure out to press space.

Addendum: First place for best message to randomly receive during combat: "A nearby towel dries off"
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 05:55:36 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10873 on: March 12, 2014, 05:59:31 am »

Addendum: First place for best message to randomly receive during combat: "A nearby towel dries off"
That's how you know the shit is about to hit the fan, when towels start drying off.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10874 on: March 12, 2014, 06:31:47 am »

Heh. I have expended my non-critical reserve of batteries to weld three spikes to the front of my Flatbed. I am now busy reenacting Carmageddon II on the nearby townlet's main crossroads. Thankfully the front chassis is reasonably tough. Just gotta be careful not to hit anything solid.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 1086