Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1780335 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12705 on: August 02, 2014, 10:48:26 am »

*slow clap* Congratulations, you gamed the system in the simplest, easiest ways possible while staying in the safest locations possible and never fighting anything remotely dangerous to an experienced player for four days, as well as never accomplishing anything of import, value, or skill. Also, The HP lowering traits are some of the best bad traits, especially so if you intended to sneak around in the dark for four days with night vision so that you would never fight anything more than one or two at a time with enough gameily layered clothing that a normal zombie or two couldn't damage you

Now try actually RPing, and playing the game. Also, Try actually taking some crippling traits. Like illiterate, slow, fast metabolism, thirsty,etc. Also, turn on wandering hordes, and go try to kill a zombie hulk with those stats and a wooden spear. Layering basic clothing probably won't block all of that damage. As well as increasing the monster scaling and decreasing the item scaling and town scaling. Also, don't start during the night.

Also, with so little documentation, theres no way to tell if you just outright cheated with a debug menu or savescumming.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12706 on: August 02, 2014, 11:31:43 am »

What I find most amusing is how he complains about the difficulty of a sandbox game in which there are ways to alter the difficulty to your tastes.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12707 on: August 02, 2014, 11:33:23 am »

does anyone actually play defense mode

tell me about the defense mode

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12708 on: August 02, 2014, 12:37:56 pm »

defense mode is ok

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12709 on: August 02, 2014, 12:42:15 pm »

does anyone actually play defense mode

Defence mode is kind of interesting.

Slightly buggy, though.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #12710 on: August 02, 2014, 01:15:45 pm »

I like the implication that the game was hard when Whales developed it. Y'know, back when there was an hour and a half long period where no zombies could spawn, and the primary strategy was to saunter into town and loot a few gun stores then be set for life.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #12711 on: August 02, 2014, 02:05:26 pm »

You spend 20 minutes setting your equipment up, then accidentally shoot your generator a few times and lose. There should be a query when you're about to shoot at friendly targets.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12712 on: August 02, 2014, 02:09:54 pm »

I like the implication that the game was hard when Whales developed it. Y'know, back when there was an hour and a half long period where no zombies could spawn, and the primary strategy was to saunter into town and loot a few gun stores then be set for life.

LOL

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12713 on: August 02, 2014, 04:30:03 pm »

I typically take a mad dash into town with a few sacks over my shoulder, take ALL THE STUFF, and get the hell out of there, throwing rocks and firing guns at any following tough zombies.

Also, I lost a 1-year survivor today. (My seasons are 30 days, for the record.) I was taking out some shotgun traps from the middle of the road when one fired.

Into my face.

WTF. I was even wearing a goddamn survivor helmet, which is made out of effing kevlar. Bigger bullets really shouldn't deal cutting damage.

I didn't even have Frail or Glass Jaw or anything.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12714 on: August 02, 2014, 05:01:37 pm »

Kevlar isn't a magical bullet repelling material, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't covering your eyes. And you did just shoot yourself in the face with a shotgun. I mean even if the armor did somehow manage to protect the majority of your face and head, theres still your neck right there, and the concussive trauma alone might have done critical damage.

Pretty sure helmets aren't generally designed to withstand pointblank shotguns. You'd need a specialized helmet for that kind of thing.

Man, I just saw a wolf and a moose going at it, and the wolf won. That's one scary motherfucking wolf.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:05:32 pm by Kaitol »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12715 on: August 02, 2014, 05:04:44 pm »

We need an artist to draw that. Is it possible to step on a nailboard when disarming it?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12716 on: August 02, 2014, 05:17:46 pm »

Fair enough. I'm not going to savescum, although I might make some kind of crazy dude who mysteriously encounters my old base of operations and the Batmobile, my indestructible spiked cube van.

Spoiler: The Batmobile (click to show/hide)

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12717 on: August 02, 2014, 05:20:48 pm »

Sounds more like a mobile command center.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12718 on: August 02, 2014, 05:47:43 pm »

No kevlar is not a magic bullet repelling material, it is however extremely effective at  decreasing the effective energy of projectiles, also, buckshot sucks wind at penetrating bone, many people have survived point-blank shotgun discharges to the face due to this fact.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12719 on: August 02, 2014, 06:03:20 pm »

I thought most point blank survivals of shotgun to face were due to birdshot. (ala Mr. Former Vice President's little accident)

Also, some of those can probably be attributed to fast effective medical assistance. Which is not coming in the cataclysm, unless you are the luckiest son'bitch on the face of the universe. Or actually have friends. *muted snort of disbelief*
Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 1086