Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 887 888 [889] 890 891 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1780199 times)

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13320 on: September 01, 2014, 02:48:33 am »

Yeah, turrets are one of the very few things I use a gun against.  And military level armour (e.g. MPR vest, combat boots+pants+helmet) helps a lot.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13321 on: September 01, 2014, 03:09:30 am »

Grenades vs Turrets, Round 1. FIGHT!

BOOM!

Flawless victory!

Also use night vision instead of a flashlight, or attack outdoor turrets at dark so they can't draw a bead on you. The military ones are tough.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13322 on: September 01, 2014, 04:22:12 am »

BOOM!

Flawless victory!

Also use night vision instead of a flashlight, or attack outdoor turrets at dark so they can't draw a bead on you. The military ones are tough.

Yes - when faced with turrets, WAIT UNTIL THE FREAKING NIGHT. Milspecs have a pretty broad light range, but it's far easier go get into throwing range. And, if you have enough power and the skill to install it, the Cloaking CBM is anathema to the things - you could melee milspecs to death, if not for the fact they explode and hurt you.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13323 on: September 01, 2014, 05:15:52 am »

Also, you shouldn't be too afraid of exploring on foot without a tent or shelter kit. It never goes straight from sunny to acid rain, so you usually have some time to turn back, or find a gas station or equivalent.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13324 on: September 01, 2014, 06:09:24 am »

BOOM!

Flawless victory!

Yes - when faced with turrets, WAIT UNTIL THE FREAKING NIGHT. Milspecs have a pretty broad light range, but it's far easier go get into throwing range. And, if you have enough power and the skill to install it, the Cloaking CBM is anathema to the things - you could melee milspecs to death, if not for the fact they explode and hurt you.
Or, you could just shoot them. Regular turrets seem to have a range of 25, milspec 36. Anything using .223/5.56 NATO will have higher range. Other types of rifle ammo should do just as well. Just make sure you don't get any closer. Shooting milspec turrets is especially worthwile, as they sometimes leave their 5.56 ammo, so you can replenish your supply.
Oh, and don't try shooting from closer range at night - apparently the turrets can target your weapon's muzzle flash or something.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13325 on: September 01, 2014, 06:25:05 am »

BOOM!

Flawless victory!

Or, you could just shoot them. Regular turrets seem to have a range of 25, milspec 36. Anything using .223/5.56 NATO will have higher range. Other types of rifle ammo should do just as well. Just make sure you don't get any closer. Shooting milspec turrets is especially worthwile, as they sometimes leave their 5.56 ammo, so you can replenish your supply.
Oh, and don't try shooting from closer range at night - apparently the turrets can target your weapon's muzzle flash or something.

I think they may trigger by noise. But yeah, of course you can shoot them, I just thought that's the default approach :P

Also, with how often you use explosives versus how often you use bullets, explosives may simply be more expendient, especially since for Military Outposts, you can take out two with just one explosive.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13326 on: September 01, 2014, 09:01:50 am »

I think the targeting is light. Once I forgot to drop my light strip (active) and even though it was no bigger than my normal night sight, I still got shot at until I dropped the light strip and re-approached under cover of actual darkness. Do note that if the cloud cover blows over at night and you're within the extended "clear sky" light radius, sentry will shoot you with many bullets.

However... EMP grenades can shut down the lab turrets and let you pick them up and set yourself, on occasion.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13327 on: September 01, 2014, 11:17:58 am »

And military level armour (e.g. MPR vest, combat boots+pants+helmet) helps a lot.

I actually have that level of armour for most everything except the face, which is only covered by a fur scarf. And Glass Jaw means one shot to the face leaves me crawling out bleeding everywhere.

I think the targeting is light. Once I forgot to drop my light strip (active) and even though it was no bigger than my normal night sight, I still got shot at until I dropped the light strip and re-approached under cover of actual darkness. Do note that if the cloud cover blows over at night and you're within the extended "clear sky" light radius, sentry will shoot you with many bullets.

That makes sense. The last turret I ran into, I had a flashlight on. Probably why it filled me full of bullets so quickly. I even HAVE High Night Vision now, so that's not happening again.

However... EMP grenades can shut down the lab turrets and let you pick them up and set yourself, on occasion.

I'll keep that in mind, although I have no idea how to make or find those.

Turrets are a very good example of the fact that you don't have to fight every enemy in the game. In a science lab, just close the door to the room it is in if you can't deal with it. Additionally, never melee turrets. They might deal serious damage before you get close enough, and even if you do destroy them, they'll explode and deal more damage to you.

Probably right. I just like clearing every room I go into, which might be a bad habit in this type of dungeon.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13328 on: September 01, 2014, 02:06:08 pm »

Dig around libraries, mansions, and schools to find an advanced electronics textbook. Those have recipes for EMP grenades and night vision/infrared goggles (nightvision is better in labs), which can, with the light step perk, make you a silent/invisible killing machine.

For face armor, if you get tailoring high up around level 7 and can spare some kevlar plates, you can make a survivor's armor-plated gas mask that covers the mouth and eyes while negating smoke and colds entirely. Good stuff. You can always get tailoring levels from repairing zombie tatters, so patch everything up that you find and you'll get there pretty quick.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #13329 on: September 01, 2014, 02:23:29 pm »

You can always get tailoring levels from repairing zombie tatters, so patch everything up that you find and you'll get there pretty quick.
Thought they took the nerf-hammer to that shortly after 0.A?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13330 on: September 01, 2014, 03:51:50 pm »

Dig around libraries, mansions, and schools to find an advanced electronics textbook. Those have recipes for EMP grenades and night vision/infrared goggles (nightvision is better in labs), which can, with the light step perk, make you a silent/invisible killing machine.

For face armor, if you get tailoring high up around level 7 and can spare some kevlar plates, you can make a survivor's armor-plated gas mask that covers the mouth and eyes while negating smoke and colds entirely. Good stuff. You can always get tailoring levels from repairing zombie tatters, so patch everything up that you find and you'll get there pretty quick.

Don't have anything more in the school library. I might find one of those textbooks in the lab itself though. Already good for nightvision, as a mutation spree resulted in Full Nightvision. And also webs everywhere, which bugs me. Although it does leave a trail of breadcrumbs for retracing my steps.

As far as Tailoring goes, I already have 4-5 skill with it. Didn't find any cool skill books for it like I did for most of the other skills. I'll have to put my fur storage trenchcoat on and collect the clothes off of all the dead zombies. Hopefully that will let me make a better backpack/storage item.

You can always get tailoring levels from repairing zombie tatters, so patch everything up that you find and you'll get there pretty quick.

It still works in the version I'm using. Will probably gather up all the clothes from the dead zombies in town and repair them to grind up my tailoring. Should probably cut some of them up for rags too, since I'm running relatively low on them.

In other news: I started another character in the same world. Supposed to be a mobility/archery build. I spawn in a bunker almost overrun by zombies. I barely manage to grab a pipe and a string and run to the wilds. But one zombie is still on my trail. So I beat him to death with my pipe. Guess what he drops? A wrench. Because THIS character, exiled from the city by zombies, almost resourceless, TOTALLY needs a wrench. And gets it on her first kill. Bluh.
Spooky Signature

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13331 on: September 01, 2014, 04:04:26 pm »

Why would you nerf that? Practising by doing seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13332 on: September 01, 2014, 04:46:21 pm »

They nerfed it so you have to use recipes of level n to advance your skill to level n+1. This was done to stop insanity like getting cooking to level 9 by boiling lots of water a couple of times, or getting tailoring to level 7 by doing basic repairs. You can still learn by doing, but you need to do difficult things to get high level skills.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13333 on: September 01, 2014, 05:17:01 pm »

I think the targeting is light. Once I forgot to drop my light strip (active) and even though it was no bigger than my normal night sight, I still got shot at until I dropped the light strip and re-approached under cover of actual darkness.
Minor clarification here, there are two types of sight range, one is how far you can see in ambient light, which is the more intuitive one.  The other is how far away you can see something that is illuminated more than the ambient light.  To see how this works, just throw a lightstrip or something at some zombies in the dark.  You'll be able to see them, but not vice versa.

Walking around in the dark with a light source is potentially a death sentence, because everything else can see you, but you can't see them until they get in range of your light.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13334 on: September 01, 2014, 05:45:51 pm »

FINALLY FOUND A WRENCH!!!!!

EDIT: Posted early. It was sitting on what looked like an altar near the bottom of the Lab. And I also found a ton of mutagen recipe books, as well as a couple skill books. And some cool Bionics. And I didn't even run into anything much besides a few zombies[Easily dealt with], manhacks[Can't open doors], turrets[Can't even move] and a Shoggoth[Which I fought to a stalemate.] Too much regeneration and armour on both sides. THIS. IS. AWESOME.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 05:50:01 pm by Arcvasti »
Spooky Signature
Pages: 1 ... 887 888 [889] 890 891 ... 1086