Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting Sound working on 64 bit Ubuntu or Debian  (Read 468 times)

Randos

• Bay Watcher
  • The Earth Strikes You!
    • View Profile
    • Comic Wolf
Getting Sound working on 64 bit Ubuntu or Debian
« on: January 02, 2013, 06:40:15 am »

This is about a problem with running DF on recent Linux 64 bit Debian based distros.   This is not a bug report per se, and so I don't really know where to post this.  But it has to go somewhere so please advise.  Or maybe just leave it here for future google searches.  I just don't want someone to have the same headache I just did for the past hour.

The DF installation wiki seems to work good "up to a point".  The problem is when they start talking about moving files in /usr/lib32 for 64 bit users.  There no longer exists /usr/lib32 in latest versions of Ubuntu, and I am assuming for Debian as well.

So for starters get the libs you need, this part of the wiki is correct:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

But then after that you need to go to this directory:

cd /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu

And to get sound working you can make a couple of symlinks like this:

sudo ln -s libopenal.so.1 libopenal.so

sudo ln -s libsndfile.so.1 libsndfile.so

The wiki might need to be updated for latest Debian based distros.  Also above 'ln' commands are neglected in many tutorials for this problem.  It would be nice to give specific commands such as I have made above.  I just thought this might be very useful and helpful to clarify for someone else in the future.

Please let me know if there is someplace more appropriate I can put this.  I can add it to the wiki myself, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes with my writing in there.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Sound working on 64 bit Ubuntu or Debian
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:00:07 am »

I just wanted to confirm this. Sound didn't work on 64 bit Ubuntu, but the symlinks fixed it.

If you want to move the thread, DF Wiki Discussion might be a good choice. It's a subforum of Gameplay Questions.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.