Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria - Pineapple (Closed)  (Read 32309 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Equestria - Pineapple
« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2013, 07:04:45 pm »

Wait, ghouls come in purple now?! I don't think, I even want to know what those do.

40 ponies and only 12 tombs? Oh come on, unlike beds, coffins can't be shared. In my experience any well functioning fortress needs at least a 100 free coffins and some ready to engrave slabs.

Hopefully there will be something in-fluff about Corai adopting an invalid dog.

The "stares at you" well complex "face" got ugly with that last upgrade.

> Secondary stone foundry is planned, because the one down below is having problems "seeing" the cloth I have
A common issue here is that if any stockpile is linked to a workshop, that workshop will only accept items from that stockpile.

Placing turrets behind fortifications is good, but I think Steel Rangers can just shoot them down. Also, a stone statue or something, in full view of turrets behind fortifications, makes for a nice trap for building destroyers.

I see a lot of narrow snaking passages. In-fluff my character learned the most common routes, but still gets lost, much to his frustration.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 14, 2013, 07:16:28 pm »

>Wait, ghouls come in purple now?! I don't think, I even want to know what those do.

Necrotic ghouls.
Can supposedly regenerate, never seen it in practice though.

>40 ponies and only 12 tombs? Oh come on, unlike beds, coffins can't be shared. In my experience any well functioning fortress needs at least a 100 free coffins and some ready to engrave slabs.

100 free coffins?
Jesus, didn't know you ran communist fortresses Mak.

>The "stares at you" well complex "face" got ugly with that last upgrade.

...the whatnow?

>Placing turrets behind fortifications is good, but I think Steel Rangers can just shoot them down. Also, a stone statue or something, in full view of turrets behind fortifications, makes for a nice trap for building destroyers.

Yeah I know.
Just had to get them out of the open for now.

>I see a lot of narrow snaking passages. In-fluff my character learned the most common routes, but still gets lost, much to his frustration.

Pineapple is going to look like a labyrinth when I am done with it, so that's interesting info...
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 14, 2013, 11:32:43 pm »

Great stuff! :) The airlocks will be quite effective as building destroyers can't break through raised bridges.

The necromantic ghouls regenerate from their wounds unless you sever a limb (Which happens quite easily if your ponies are armed with machetes), but are otherwise no different from the average ghoul.

If you're thinking about updating, I recommend doing so in the upcoming version...it's going to be major even by the standards of previous arcs.
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 16, 2013, 10:11:44 am »

>40 ponies and only 12 tombs? Oh come on, unlike beds, coffins can't be shared. In my experience any well functioning fortress needs at least a 100 free coffins and some ready to engrave slabs.

100 free coffins?
Jesus, didn't know you ran communist fortresses Mak.

In Soviet Russia, Fortress build YOU(Cough cough)

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 18, 2013, 10:18:09 am »

Bad news gentlemen.

I don't remember if I mentioned it, but a couple of weeks back my curiosity got the better of me and I used the DFhack "prospect" and "reveal" commands to get an idea of how much salvage I had on the map.
As it turned out, the game trolled me horribly.
The map (and caves) are nearly devoid of high quality salvage.
I'm not kidding. There is like 100 high quality salvage logs on the entire map.
For comparison there is well over 1500 low quality salvage and less than 400 medium quality.

What does this mean?
That, for starters, the surface is the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen in my time with Lycaeon's mod.
It is infested with ghouls that murderize everything and everyone caught outside for more than a few minutes, and its basically all low quality salvage, completely pointless and way too dangerous to even be remotely profitable.
There is zero incencetive whatsoever for me to even try and attempt to retake the surface for any reason at all.
What it also means is that my clever idea of making expansive tree farms is also totally a waste of time, because for some reason worldgen gave be the middle finger and there is barely any medium or high quality scavenge at all down there.

What I am trying to say here is that there is no endgame on my map, no point in attacking the surface and expose myself to enemy civs, no nothing.
Just infinite low tech bunker boredom in which I am stuck forcing myself to write the same kind of crap every time.
After I get farming going for real there is virtually nothing really interesting to do and no dangers to deal with, I don't have to go anywhere because there is nothing to gain from it.
Pineapple doesn't lead anywhere.

Because of this, I am shutting Pineapple down.
Sorry guys, but it's just not really worth it anymore.
I'll write one last epilogue entry before I close it and let it die.

From there I can do two things:

1. Put any community games/stories on ice for now and try to get a little more involved in Lycaeon's thread/testing new versions.

2. Start over (assuming there is still interest in this*).

*In that case, I'd consider Pineapple to have had a peaceful end in story terms and you can "transfer" your character to the new stable if you'd like (purely for story purposes obviously).
Also, I'll switch to a different format the next time around and not do a continuous story from start to finish like I do now.

So yeah, that's that.
I'm giving you guys two days tops to voice your opinion on this.

Are you interested in a new run?
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Equestria - Pineapple (Closing Down)
« Reply #215 on: March 18, 2013, 10:28:36 am »

Yes, please.
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 18, 2013, 12:49:12 pm »

I'm interested in reading your stories. There is hardly any input required of me in any case.

> I'm not kidding. There is like 100 high quality salvage logs on the entire map.
> For comparison there is well over 1500 low quality salvage and less than 400 medium quality.

Just to put you into perspective. I always #prospect all on new sites. I embark in nice places with lots of trees and these are the usual numbers:
Surface: 1500 - 2500 regular trees. 
250-500 low quality salvage
100-300 medium quality salvage.

Caverns: around 1000 regular trees
300-400 low quality salvage
100-150 medium quality salvage
20-50 high quality salvage.

I'd say your surface salvage is quite good. Retaking the surface is worth it just for the caravans (who bring medium and high quality salvage with them!) and migrant safety.

A tree farm will still work, but you need at least 10000 tiles for it.

In Ponderplanned I got my high quality salvage from caravans and occasional "trees" growing in my soil layer. I secured a section of the caverns not long before I quit. I didn't get abundant endgame items, but there was enough of them.

I think you're exaggerating. Low quality salvage mostly gives you tools, tier 1 weapons, scrap ore and glass, but medium quality is nothing to sneer at. You get plentiful batteries and a chance of rifles, ammo and talismans. I though you wanted a challenge and that's why you embarked in a bad region. Well, on the plus side, you'll upgrade to 0.98c if you start over.
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 18, 2013, 01:16:30 pm »

@ Maklak
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 02:02:02 pm by Replica »

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 18, 2013, 01:22:39 pm »

That's a lot of trees and salvage.

Why is there a picture of some infuriating guy at the bottom?
EDIT: Possibly because this new embark has more than the last one and you assumed I skilled up enough empathy to not see that guy as something more than just someone who wants in the mug.

EDIT2: Wait, is is possible to prospect before embarking ???
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:48:40 pm by Maklak »
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 18, 2013, 02:01:45 pm »

That's the current embark, I prospected Pineapple with reveal on.

Seriously? You don't see it?
Its an evil biome, and pretty much all it has is damned normal trees and low quality salvage.
Ghoul infestation with none of the benefits of a normal safe embark.
Waste of time.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 18, 2013, 02:17:54 pm »

HIGH_F 106, HIGH_H 90, HIGH_G 82 - That's 278 high quality salvage on the surface.

TERMINAL_A 90, TERMINAL_B 43 - also on the surface, that's processing matrices and stuff.

HIGH_C 32, HIGH_G 31, HIGH_E 15, HIGH_D 8 - 86 high quality salvage in the caverns.

There's a bit of a shortage of medium quality salvage, though.

Am I not reading this correctly?
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 18, 2013, 04:45:33 pm »

Basically it could be seen as such:

-High end stuff is in abnormally short supply.
-Getting what's there would lead to more deaths and injuries than would be practical.
-Several Lemon citizens have already died or nearly died for little to no reward.
-Militia is barely geared enough to train, they wouldn't have a chance against the ghouls. This goes in with the risk-reward ratio. More ponies would get killed than would be worth it to get the salvage.
-Casualties from trying to get what's there would lead to massive drops in productivity, and depending on number of dead, scare away ponies to replace the dead and wounded.
-Therefore, this operation has been a complete bust and Replica, being the smart mare she is, has realized this and opted to bug out and inform Lemon Administration  of what happened and why they pulled up stakes and ran like hell.

An as far as a new stable, I dunno. That'd be your call Replica. My apologies if I seem nonsensical, I just woke up from a nap that lasted far longer than intended and I'm not thinking so good.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 18, 2013, 05:00:20 pm »

> Therefore, this operation has been a complete bust and Replica, being the smart mare she is, has realized this and opted to bug out and inform Lemon Administration  of what happened and why they pulled up stakes and ran like hell.

Well, I prefer this to "good ending".

I look forward to your new fort, so please link it here or in the foe thread. The new version is likely to be great due to autosyndrome alone, but my guess is that it will take some time to work out the bugs in it and 098c will be the newest version for a while.

EDIT: Good ending is "Pineapple works out and hardly anypony dies for it". Bugging out with most ponies surviving is a neutral ending.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 05:26:34 pm by Maklak »
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 18, 2013, 05:05:08 pm »

> Therefore, this operation has been a complete bust and Replica, being the smart mare she is, has realized this and opted to bug out and inform Lemon Administration  of what happened and why they pulled up stakes and ran like hell.

Well, I prefer this to "good ending".

That's pretty much the good ending, at least in my opinion. Bunch of ponies got killed with little to show for it, and eventually it became a case of too much risk for too little reward.

Bad ending is everyone got slaughtered.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 18, 2013, 07:02:19 pm »

Sorry to hear that Pineapple's over. :( I'm aware of evil biomes and caverns occasionally generating without salvage, but I think it's a DF mechanic. I would run reveal at the beginning of each map to make sure everything is present.

Looking forward to the next fruit fortress Replica! :D I ask that it take place in the new version so that you can test and run the Stable at the same time. :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:05:43 pm by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16