Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 130

Author Topic: You are a new God  (Read 212981 times)

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God
« Reply #390 on: January 10, 2013, 07:04:26 pm »

We should ask Krait what the purpose of his statue is. We may as well ask the previous god's name, too. Also, we should talk to Krait about Maher, what we say, or ask for, is up to debate. Also, there doesn't happen to be a really powerful coalition of four chaos gods working in tandem nearby, is there? OH. We should also discuss afterlife interior decorating tips. Maybe we should see if Krait is willing to engage in gladiator fights with us. His champions against our custom monsters, for fun.
Also, tell Ustan to purchase niceties that the village may require. Or whatever he deems appropriate.

Anyway, I get the feeling Krait isn't much of a conqueror(considering he didn't take our village from the previous guy), and he may be a valuable ally.

Spoiler: Suggested Projects (click to show/hide)

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 10, 2013, 07:42:09 pm »

We should ask Krait what the purpose of his statue is. We may as well ask the previous god's name, too. Also, we should talk to Krait about Maher, what we say, or ask for, is up to debate. Also, there doesn't happen to be a really powerful coalition of four chaos gods working in tandem nearby, is there? OH. We should also discuss afterlife interior decorating tips. Maybe we should see if Krait is willing to engage in gladiator fights with us. His champions against our custom monsters, for fun.
Also, tell Ustan to purchase niceties that the village may require. Or whatever he deems appropriate.

Anyway, I get the feeling Krait isn't much of a conqueror(considering he didn't take our village from the previous guy), and he may be a valuable ally.

Bold for important, color orange for added suggestion.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:45:40 pm by jaass »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 10, 2013, 10:35:30 pm »

I have an idea I don't know why I didn't/we didn't before.

Life isn't just plants. It's animals. Which means bones. Bones are ten times as strong as steel for their weight. We can make an animal or animals that have super thick skin to use as leather, or really hard scales, or solid bones, all to use as weapons and armor. Primitive looking? Sure. Effective? Most definitely. We could probably make some bad-ass warbeasts with Chaos and Fire as well.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 10, 2013, 11:05:36 pm »

I believe we should focus more on utility now, then huge beast of war. Like the Blaze Beetles combine them with a horned dung beetle http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gTYsMd5hdf5YT8QPt9dNDmC0Iz1w and you got some serious strength that can also be used as a beast of burden.

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 10, 2013, 11:26:09 pm »

How about a rather simple crop? Something like Rice, but with a higher nutrition value and faster growing times. That should be simple enough for just our life magic to create. Shouldn't cost much mana either.
We just know that Maher needs to go down. Talk to Krait and see what he proposes. He seems an energetic fellow. Also find out his spheres. Never hurts to know that information. Snakes are always gneiss.

Yes, we need metals. And stone. We'll have to expand, and expansion includes rocks. Any cliffsides near our village we can pull stone from? Are any of the immigrants stonemasons?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Tell me what you have in mind," you respond to Krait. "And I can't help but wonder what the purpose of that impressive statue is."

"It has a purpose?" Krait responded, sounding surprised. "And here I thought it just looked epic. Regardless, down to businesssss...though we clearly share the Chaos attribute, our others are completely different. So I can accomplish something easily for you within my sphere that would be nearly impossible for you to do, and vice verse - we can trade favors thusly." The presence drew a little closer. "I'd also be open to a non-aggression pact - and possibly an alliance once we get to know each other a little better. Chaos Gods need to stick together after all, being such a rarity in these times.

You consider for a moment, then reply, "I accept your proposal - have you heard of a God named Maher, perchance?"

"Ahhh yes the death God - I do some landscape decorating for him every once in a while. Some pools of poison here, a bleak ever-blowing wind there, adjusting his maze of skulls to be ever changing and unpredictable...he pays quite generously for it as well, in both souls and mana."

He chuckled. "But enough about other Gods, let me show you around the village."

His presence began to float away, and you follow. As the village walls come into sight, you see deep holes in the ground outside of it, tunnels of some sort. Guarding the gates are humans, wielding swords shaped like fangs, drops of poison slowly dripping from the tips. Inside you see the usual attire for a village, houses, a smithy, a shrine and temple. What was not usual was the snakes everywhere, from tiny rattlesnakes to a gigantic basilisk the size of a house. The population was around two hundred humans, all ignoring the snakes and being ignored in return. Around a barracks you spot hundreds of reptilian-looking humanoids drilling with bows, firing poisoned arrows into straw targets.

"Impressive," you murmur, and follow Krait to the temple. "Donut," Krait said, "This is my high priestess, Narcissus."
The beautiful woman within the temple rises, and bows her head with a dazzling smile. You note with surprise the wings sprouting from her back, and the serpentine fangs replacing her front canine teeth.
"Charmed," she said politely, and a warm gust of wind rolled through the temple.

"Well," Krait said, rising skyward again, and you follow. "I shan't keep you all day, but we should really hold a feast soon to celebrate, with both villages. Cheese for everyone!"
"How about we make it a little more interesting," you murmur. "The main event of the feast: a contest, my strongest champions against yours."
Krait let out a bark of laughter. "You and I are going to get along just fine," he chuckled approvingly, as you departed.

You shift your awareness to Ceres, to check up on Ustan, who is apparently relaxing in a pub, with several empty flagons of mead beside him. "Ustan, did the migrants you recruited include any stonemasons or surveyers?"
"Oh hai God," he slurred. "Yesh, some stuff like that - two masons, a smith, a carpenter - no surveyers 'tho." 
"Ah...I would appreciate it if you could hire one," you tell him. "Additionally, if you see something the village needs but can't readily acquire or make locally, buy some."
Ustan made a sloppy salute. "You got it boss," he said, returning to his flagon.

You return to Minas Iroh, and find the remains of a orc raiding party, turned into Fungus Spawn. 22 orcs apparently attacked on their own initiative - but you figure Grumugga can't get any more angry at you, after all the orcs she lost attacking you and Maher. With a mental shrug, you turn away and consider the food problem - the crop fields are healed, but do not grow all season, and before long it'll be autumn, then winter. Winter is coming.

In addition, the town population's going to rise soon, and the village needs both food and housing. Right now the fruit trees in the village and the fire-nector supplies are covering the food deficit, but fire-nector is far more valuable for sale or healing than as food.

To solve the housing problem, you talk to Bernard, the town carpenter, and promise him money from the recent sale of fire-nector if he'll start work on new houses.

As for food...well, you have ample mana for a miracle. You reach for Life, drawing on nature's template for a watermelon, and inspired by your afterlife's berry bushes, combine it with a blueberry bush. A touch of Chaos helps to twist it into a new species altogether, and a small meteor of concentrated Life energy falls from the sky, impacting the earth on a small hill outside the village.

Where it struck, you see a fully-grown bush, laden with berries twice the size of watermelons. Some villagers notice the commotion from the impact, and gather around. "It should cover nearly every nuitritional need," you tell them. "Just don't throw out the rinds, they contain hundreds of seeds."

The bluemelons were rapidly devoured, and the village spread the seeds in the land outside the village, a great many in the forest. They'll grow fast, but not quite as fast as you had hoped. (1d20 : 7 + LifeSkill(4) + ChaosSkill(3) = 14)
-35 Mana

Right then. Krait had a veritable army of snakemen, why couldn't you do the same with your Life attribute? You decide to give it a shot, trying to make a growable soldier by combining elements of a human with that of the most resilient of plants. Unfortunately, unlike humans, these will be quite soulless.

Combining Life with a spark of Chaos, you begin. Pouring the energy into a green cloud, you sculpt it into humanoid shape, slowly but surely. It takes you hours, but in the end when you finish, you look down with satisfaction upon your creation - at a distance, looking like a green human. The bark-skin however looks different than you thought, like petrified wood - quite difficult to slash through, natural armor and resistant to heat. You suspect the change to be a consequence of using Chaos to twist nature into a new form.
(1d6: 4, which on the table I made is armored skin. 1d20 : 11 + ChaosSkill(3) + LifeSkill(4) = 18)
-45 Mana

The hair of the creature is made out of short vines and leaves, and it looks at you patiently with almond-brown eyes for instructions. You look more closely and see seeds in the life-soldier's leaf-vine hair - apparently they're born with the next crop of seeds that way. You command it to go into the village, whispering of it's coming to the people so as not to alarm them.

"This is a new form of growable soldier," you explained. "Replant the seeds found in their hair, and hopefully before long we can have a standing army. They'll obey your commands, but be kind to them."
The life-soldier inclined its head, and stood at attention as a bemused farmer gingerly gathered the seeds and went off to plant the first batch of them.

Perhaps Tiberius could train the first generation, you mused to yourself. Then have the experienced ones train the new ones...

Your musing is interrupted by the shouts of a heated argument, and zoom to the spot to see Laksus squaring off with Tiberius. "So what," Laksus snapped, "They're our enemies, what do you care."

Tiberius sputtered, his thorn-vines writhing in agitation. "That doesn't give you the right to go off and murder them for it," he snarled.

"What in the Void is going on here," you demand, and both of them stop talking, glowering at each other.

"I'm not sure what all the fuss is about," Laksus said with a shrug. "I just did a little raid on Ravenholt - ring a bell Tiberius, the same village that attacked this one less than a week ago." He smirked. "There were some skeleton guards, but they were no obstacle of course. I snuck in, devoured a few villagers, bit some then left them alive for shits and giggles, and got home before suppertime." He blinked. "I thought you'd be pleased - the village is ripe for conquest."

How do you respond?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:34:34 am by Corruptor »
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 10, 2013, 11:33:07 pm »

"Ahem. That is..... well, i am not pleased. We should not attack them yet, our forces have yet to gain the strength to defend from retaliation. Do those... unpleasant deeds no more."
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 10, 2013, 11:35:19 pm »

Did Krait ever tell us his other domains? Given his name and text color, probably Water, and given his dialogue probably death...

Anyways. I suggest we inform Laskus that, while we understand his actions, he should run any raids or whatnot he wants to do by us first. Also inform him that conquest will wait until the next generation of warriors is up. Once he protests that waiting decades won't do it, inform them of the Life Soldiers and ask Tiberius (and probably Laskus) if they'd like to train them.

Dammit, ninja'd.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 10, 2013, 11:58:37 pm »

I have an idea I don't know why I didn't/we didn't before.

Life isn't just plants. It's animals. Which means bones. Bones are ten times as strong as steel for their weight. We can make an animal or animals that have super thick skin to use as leather, or really hard scales, or solid bones, all to use as weapons and armor. Primitive looking? Sure. Effective? Most definitely. We could probably make some bad-ass warbeasts with Chaos and Fire as well.
True. But plants can feed themselves, usually. We're lucky that firejackets can derive sustenance from fire.
Besides, Maher has proven his people can make undead minions out of creatures with endoskeletons. We should stick to exoskeletons and no skeletons for now.

Anyway, Laksus did us a neat service. And he's probably right. We could go in and take the village over. But we lack the forces required(they're being grown). I'm also willing to bet Maher knew something like this would occur, so there are probably no hard feelings between us. Still, he's gotta be careful, this DOES open us up to retaliation. We should inform him to run any raids he has planned by us, too. We may be a god of Chaos, but we like to know what's going on.
Though, if Laksus is sneaky enough... lets send him scouting, to check on Maher's troop movements and generally what the guy is up to. He's free to devour any wayward villagers, but he's not to attract any extra attention, like the kind you get busting down doors, or defiling altars. His body is unique, and it would be impossible to correctly rebuild it. Chaos, you know?

Oh, and we should ask Krait why these little plant dudes we made don't have souls; not that we expected them to, but it does intrigue the academic mind. Then, an even better question is: how do orcs have souls? Hmm.. how intelligent are the plant people? Insect? Cat? Small Child? Adult Human? They ought to be at least as smart as their undead counterparts.
Next up is the Blaze Beetles, or something that serves as an analog to Krait's basilisks, only bug/plant, and perhaps, Sprinkles.
We may be able to rope a bunch of chaos gods into helping us make them. All of us pour our more offense-driven powers into them, and we, Donut, make them into living creatures. Then we equally split some of the individuals, and breed the critters for their randomized explosive effects.

EDIT: OH. I noticed our 'religion' is a little lacking in practices. How about we get the priest to hold a service, or mass, or big ol' get together or potluck or something, every [week? two weeks? Month?] in the temple. Everyone builds a big bonfire for warmth, sings songs, eats special fruit or something, and generally relaxes. We can use the bonfire to breed more Firejackets, and get togethers will help us with morale. It may also provide mana. Oh, new plant idea: super-hops. Makes super-beer. And, you know, religious delicious fruit.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:03:49 am by Koliup »

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 11, 2013, 12:15:17 am »

I believe we should focus more on utility now, then huge beast of war. Like the Blaze Beetles combine them with a horned dung beetle http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gTYsMd5hdf5YT8QPt9dNDmC0Iz1w and you got some serious strength that can also be used as a beast of burden.

Quote from the above article Onthophagus taurus(horned dung beetles) can pull 1,141 times its own body weight -- the equivalent of a 70-kilogramme (154-pound) person being able to lift 80 tonnes, the weight of six double-decker buses. Now combine this with the weight of a horse I can imagine how much strength this thing will have. Also, I believe the plant soldiers should have acidic blood.   

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 11, 2013, 12:59:02 am »

Well, the insects' super strenght is related to their little, little size. You see, muscle power is proportionnal to the section area of aid muscle, while weight is proportionnal to the volume. So if you double the size (lenght and height), the muscle power is fourfold, while weight is eightfold, effectively cutting muscle effectiveness (own weight lifted) by two.
But again, magic.

I suggest to ally with Krait, he seems a nice fellow. Warn him that we had a feud with Maher, so we are likely to be in conflict with his employer at some point. We would be happy not to fight him (Krait) though. Let that whole "My friend's ennemy..." thing to humans.

Do not conquer the village. Maher is very probably expecting us to do so, although he will probably have some plan in case of us not taking it. Instruct Laksus over the principle of Casus Belli.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 11, 2013, 09:48:02 am »

Just a question for our GM but if we get enough mana can we cast miracles/magic outside of our 3 major domains?  Also if we can, do these domains level up over time so that we become more skilled with them?
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 11, 2013, 02:15:43 pm »

Just a question for our GM but if we get enough mana can we cast miracles/magic outside of our 3 major domains?  Also if we can, do these domains level up over time so that we become more skilled with them?
No - but many effects that usually fall under other domains have can be imitated by creative use of your domains, in many cases.

For example, granting flight is the purview of Gods of Air - but as a God of Life and Chaos you could attempt to grow bat wings on the subject.

Another example, if a God of Earth wanted to incinerate a location, he could sculpt a path underneath the earth for magma to follow up.
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 11, 2013, 02:25:56 pm »

So we can do anything if we use 'from a certain point of view' phrases.

Let see, we can cause a earthquake because the tectonic plates rest on the molten rock which is fire.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:30:58 pm by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 11, 2013, 02:38:24 pm »

Can we move stuff between real world and afterlife? Or rather how expensive is that in mana?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 11, 2013, 03:01:27 pm »

It's called death :). But I assume you mean inanimate objects?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 130