Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Eugenics  (Read 15880 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenics
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2013, 11:59:09 am »

I ain't getting into other people's motivations, that's just my personal goal - maximizing the biomass shaped by my genes. So if reproducing is not an option for some reasons, those limited resources are better spent at KFC.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2013, 12:02:31 pm »

Ah, well, fair enough then. Good luck.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2013, 12:19:01 pm »

The vast, vast majority of your genes are shared with the rest of humanity. This would basically be the opportunity to expand the power of your worthwhile genes by pairing them with more effective partners, while dumping the cruddy bits.

Do you actually think your genes are important for some reason? Man, talk about slavery... you sound like you're more a slave, a slave to your genes, than anything I've proposed would result in.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2013, 03:47:54 pm »

This actually relates to the "selfish gene" idea - that when it comes to evolution it's the survival of the gene which matters, not the organism carrying the gene.  Thus co-operation makes sense since you're helping propagate that gene, especially in highly social animals.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2013, 05:57:10 pm »

You know, there's nothing that says the genetic information for your children has to come from you and the person you're most suited to raise them with.

My offspring would seem to support this assertion.

I found that quite amusing.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]