Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 272

Author Topic: Murdermachines - Return of the VoidGod (Deathgate II)  (Read 789391 times)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
Re: Murdermachines - Sacked, Salted, and Buried (Deathgate II)
« Reply #2145 on: January 20, 2014, 04:03:43 pm »

Nope.  To reach "Truly Dwarven" level, you have to colonize HFS with a force made entirely of Childcare Graduates, cast a fortress of Obsidian down there for your people to live in, and then leash domesticated Dragons at your entrance to keep those nasty Elves away, while trading Mermaid-bone chalices to the outlying lands (if you're not the Mountainhome by now, you haven't passed Proficient level yet!)
But isn't "dwarven" supposed to mean insane? All of those things you just mentioned are very rational and quite practical things to do.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: January 20, 2014, 04:13:37 pm »

Contraty to popular belief, Dwarves are NOT insane.  We are highly logical and practical beings, with great respect for life and incredibly high moral stances.

Admittedly, our logic is on the slightly extreme side of "individualistically capitalistic opportunism", our practices involve copious amounts of magma, the only life we respect is that of Armok, and our moral stances tend to include "xenophobic urges to kill everything on sight" and not much else...
We're basically feasting on eldritch abomination cookies. I love this game.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: January 20, 2014, 04:21:19 pm »

But in that case, isn't it extremely dwarfy do wipe out the heretic liquid known as "water" by boiling the seas with lignite and bins?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: January 20, 2014, 05:06:54 pm »

...and here I am, trying to remember which lever opens floodgates and which closes my front gates. Doesn't help that they are right next to each other.

You'd think I would have learned to color-code them by now. Yeah, this fort's gonna die soon too.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: January 20, 2014, 05:10:01 pm »

Yeah, color-coding is nice.  Floodgates are pretty nice too.  For that matter, some actual flowing water would be nice >.<

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: January 20, 2014, 08:56:34 pm »

My standards are based on how epic my fortress's story is. My best is when one dwarf made a statue of another dwarf cowering before the maggot things, and the other dwarf ended up shooting him. This caused a loyalty cascade that I called "The Maggoty Family Feud", because the two WERE BROTHERS.

That's why I love watching community games like this- they inspire me to keep pushing.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: January 21, 2014, 02:03:45 am »

Nope.  To reach "Truly Dwarven" level, you have to colonize HFS with a force made entirely of Childcare Graduates, cast a fortress of Obsidian down there for your people to live in, and then leash domesticated Dragons at your entrance to keep those nasty Elves away, while trading Mermaid-bone chalices to the outlying lands (if you're not the Mountainhome by now, you haven't passed Proficient level yet!)
But isn't "dwarven" supposed to mean insane? All of those things you just mentioned are very rational and quite practical things to do.
Contraty to popular belief, Dwarves are NOT insane.  We are highly logical and practical beings, with great respect for life and incredibly high moral stances.

Admittedly, our logic is on the slightly extreme side of "individualistically capitalistic opportunism", our practices involve copious amounts of magma, the only life we respect is that of Armok, and our moral stances tend to include "xenophobic urges to kill everything on sight" and not much else...

welp lads, i totally agree with the above...plus i say we get a volcanon next to an ocean and use it as a source for enternal obsidean supply! and then mine the shit out of the ground around us and build a tower straight from hell  all the way to the maximum level of high you can acheive ind warf fortress...all the while making it seem totallyu legit! truly the fortress of hell-fire dwarves of deathgate the enternal would be glorious...

right now im imagining a dwarf fortress version of the dark tower in lotr...its awsome, only add more elfs hanging in cages, more invasions being crushed under dwarf atomic crushers, and dragons and rocs tamed and bred for war...pretty much we get bored and declared the ultimate home for dwarves as we take hell and then get bored with it...and then move onto a NEWER world...also i highly suggest we go to war with the elves as soon as possible, war of extermination my fellow dwarves!
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>
<dying's half the fun, and all the FUN!>-Grombardrim

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: January 21, 2014, 03:22:44 am »

Bonus points if you somehow manage to mod it so that you can fight against the Dwarves in Adventurer Mode ^_^

On another note, shortly after I started celebrating, one of my children went into my first Strange Mood [Secretive]. He demanded Cloth.  I had Yak Hair only.  Gildedgates reached Village level before perishing in a tantrum spiral, which means I'm only a Dabbling Overseer >.<

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: January 21, 2014, 03:25:30 am »

Or we go with the flow of the old Deathgate for 2014 and we do this without gimmicks. A large part of what made Deathgate I so crazy was that every overlord built their deathtraps according to a moments whim and to match the situation at the time. There was no overarching plan, just lots of little gear-shaped plans designed to make the whole thing go "cuckoo".

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: January 21, 2014, 03:31:54 am »

That's probably what'll happen, honestly.  Gimmicks are fun to read about, admittedly, but a well- (or badly-, or just plain interestingly-) run community fortress has a charm all of its own...  Boatmurdered got me into this, after all.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: January 21, 2014, 09:54:35 am »

Or we go with the flow of the old Deathgate for 2014 and we do this without gimmicks. A large part of what made Deathgate I so crazy was that every overlord built their deathtraps according to a moments whim and to match the situation at the time. There was no overarching plan, just lots of little gear-shaped plans designed to make the whole thing go "cuckoo".

I actually really support this plan, though most of the craziness of Murdermachines stems from Voidspawn being so hardcore/the entire surface being a barren hellzone/Yuli's Playful Misadventures With Forgotten Beasts.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: January 21, 2014, 10:21:21 am »

Sorry to rerail you back to the game, but... Is anyone playing it now or what?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: January 21, 2014, 11:01:31 am »

Not at the moment. Kefkakrazy is next in the list on the OP (tryrar surrendered to the madness), but he's one of the returning overseers, and I think we had a few new victims volunteers a while back, I just don't remember who.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: January 21, 2014, 02:11:12 pm »

Not at the moment. Kefkakrazy is next in the list on the OP (tryrar surrendered to the madness), but he's one of the returning overseers, and I think we had a few new victims volunteers a while back, I just don't remember who.

Am I? Oh, dear.

Well, I'm game. This topic has been a bit dead for a bit too long, I've been tempted to just grab the save and pop out a year just to give it a kick in the beard.

Someone link me to the latest save, because it's probly done gone and buried itself at this point.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: January 21, 2014, 02:46:49 pm »

Assuming I read this correctly, this is Peregarrett's final save.  I assume you'll be reclaiming?

Well, I think that 20 or 30 migrants trying to reach the gates through voidspawn hordes ARE fun, but ok. I guess I survive till end of my turn...

It's 16th Obsidian and we have gobbo siege here.

Ok, my turn is over. Last 4 dwarves are trying to make enough slabs and coffins. Everyone has masonry and engraving labors enabled, and stone/furniture/corpse hauling.
Caverns are sealed, so no danger from beasts. Maybe best choice if to abandon and reclaim - if we release captured voidspawn beforehand, we'll get random fight between them and 'friendly' gobbos

Save uploaded to http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8052

And
As you value your life or your reason keep away from egg roasts

Edit: I think I added myself to the Dorfing roster, if not could you Dorf me anyways?  Grombardrim, Profession Name: The White Dwarf, Axedorf if possible
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:06:05 pm by Grombardrim »
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 272