Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 272

Author Topic: Murdermachines - Return of the VoidGod (Deathgate II)  (Read 789947 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Murdermachines - Return of the VoidGod (Deathgate II)
« Reply #3870 on: March 11, 2015, 06:21:05 pm »

We've got the voidspawn and we've got the demons, do we really need any other (hostile) races?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: March 11, 2015, 06:37:14 pm »

No !!Fun!! in not having as many modded doom races as possible, especially if they're all hostile to one another.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: March 11, 2015, 07:53:24 pm »

Oh yeah, I forget not everyone hops through the utlities forums regularly collecting toys: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140645.0
Thanks mate.

We've got the voidspawn and we've got the demons, do we really need any other (hostile) races?
No !!Fun!! in not having as many modded doom races as possible, especially if they're all hostile to one another.
Yes.

Well, I don't actually know very much about RAW modding, but I do know actual nuclear fission reactors are effectively horribly dangerous steam engines. So, rather than a building that makes power, you could have a building that becomes very, very hot and begins consuming fuel from storage when activated via a lever, thereby heating liquid in the area to become pressurized steam, which in turn can run though turbines, which actually make power. That being effectively how reactors work, though some more complex fuel mechanics would need to happen, as well as both radiation and meltdown stuff.
Yes. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149288.0
As per what you recommended, it seems even more complicated... but I'm not unwilling to try if I'm heavily aided.
Anyway, I still hope that Toady does add in support for the tags mentioned, otherwise there's currently no easy/straight-forward way to implement it.

EDIT: Please, let's move this here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148661.msg6050222#msg6050222
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:55:31 pm by CaptainMcClellan »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: March 11, 2015, 08:00:05 pm »

To hell with power, I just want uranium warhammers and dying furnace operators.

What should uranium smelting do to them? Bleeding? Rot? Swelling? Blisters? All four?

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: March 11, 2015, 08:59:41 pm »

To hell with power, I just want uranium warhammers and dying furnace operators.

What should uranium smelting do to them? Bleeding? Rot? Swelling? Blisters? All four?
Well the uranium itself isn't deadly, it's the chance for the Deadly radioactive plutonium that has a chance to be produced as a byproduct and will cause fever, blisters, and swelling. It should inherently cause fever or rot. The uranium will be pretty useful for blunt weapons though. ( It's denser than lead. ) As per the plutonium, instead of just using straight plutonium values I'm going to make it instantly sublimate and ignite at room temperature. The syndrome will be triggered by inhalation, like actual plutonium. Though, should I have it have a fixed temp that'll inflict burns and damage or no?

I'd really like to do the power, but at very least I can have a nuclear forge capable of smelting even magma-safe metals. ( Smelting bauxite, for instance. )

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: March 11, 2015, 09:15:54 pm »

Well, if you don't know the list of symptoms, severe radiation poisoning causes rapid hair loss, skin blisters, sunburn up to eleven, neurological decay, bone brittleness, nausea, internal bleeding, eventual necrosis and probably some other stuff I didn't remember.

Also, mining and refining uranium ores is a radiation hazard to workers, just less so, plutonium and a variety of other, vastly more hazardous, and in a few cases quite useful elements are only created in nuclear reactors.  And unless raising temperature is hard, my idea should be fairly simple, since it's basically just standard water generators, but with steam instead.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: March 11, 2015, 09:30:15 pm »

Well, if you don't know the list of symptoms, severe radiation poisoning causes rapid hair loss, skin blisters, sunburn up to eleven, neurological decay, bone brittleness, nausea, internal bleeding, eventual necrosis and probably some other stuff I didn't remember.

Also, mining and refining uranium ores is a radiation hazard to workers, just less so, plutonium and a variety of other, vastly more hazardous, and in a few cases quite useful elements are only created in nuclear reactors.  And unless raising temperature is hard, my idea should be fairly simple, since it's basically just standard water generators, but with steam instead.
Thanks mate! That's a very helpful list of symptoms.

Yeah, I have stuff in mind for that. Namely, using Nether-cap clothes and ingesting Prussian blue to prevent and help alleviate some of the symptoms.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: March 11, 2015, 10:20:26 pm »

I'm not sure about Nether-Cap, but sure. Also, allowing the dwarves to craft lead platemail would make obvious sense, as would filter masks of some kind. {One of the major issues, once the worst of the radiatioactive isotopes have decayed, or with radiation suits that are just lead plating is ingestion of fallout particles, which being rather dense and usually composed of elements we can't digest, get stuck in your system and slowly irradiate you further.}

Should we get a different thread for this? Not that I mind, but it is a little off-topic, plus it has the potential to be awesome enough to stick around outside of Deathgate.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:22:33 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: March 11, 2015, 10:49:35 pm »

I'm not sure about Nether-Cap, but sure. Also, allowing the dwarves to craft lead platemail would make obvious sense, as would filter masks of some kind. {One of the major issues, once the worst of the radiatioactive isotopes have decayed, or with radiation suits that are just lead plating is ingestion of fallout particles, which being rather dense and usually composed of elements we can't digest, get stuck in your system and slowly irradiate you further.}

Should we get a different thread for this? Not that I mind, but it is a little off-topic, plus it has the potential to be awesome enough to stick around outside of Deathgate.
With it's properties, it should help shield heat-damage. I didn't even think about lead platemail though, that's pretty brilliant.

Well we've tried migrating it to the Successor thread several times and always ended up back here. As per giving it its own thread in the modding section, I wouldn't bother. I've heard that people have already done similar, I just wanted to do it for myself.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: March 11, 2015, 10:58:37 pm »

Ah, yes. Possibly you could use it for reactor-room walls, to help stop the layer of lead bricks from melting. {If a living thing has to worry about direct heat damage from a nuclear reactor, they probably won't care for very long.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: March 12, 2015, 12:03:28 am »

Ah, yes. Possibly you could use it for reactor-room walls, to help stop the layer of lead bricks from melting. {If a living thing has to worry about direct heat damage from a nuclear reactor, they probably won't care for very long.}
Aye, but I'm also adding in clothes/wood armor that can be made from woven nether cap and the reactions to shave nether-cap into strands and to weave it.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: March 12, 2015, 12:11:30 am »

A'right. Possibly useful to wear under that lead plate, for padding and to help keep them comfortable in the hot environment deep underground.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: March 12, 2015, 12:19:29 am »

A'right. Possibly useful to wear under that lead plate, for padding and to help keep them comfortable in the hot environment deep underground.
Mhm, that was what I was thinking, though I'll have to reread the guide on clothing layers to ensure that it works right.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: March 12, 2015, 11:48:17 am »

Also, these being dwarves, gold platemail? It'd work just as well, if not better than lead.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: March 12, 2015, 11:58:01 am »

Also, these being dwarves, gold platemail? It'd work just as well, if not better than lead.
Eh yeah, but doesn't lead make more effective armor as actual armor instead of just radiation-proofing? Also, there's one problem I thought of with lead armor- I don't know how to make a syndrome that is applied by wearing the syndrome vector. ( That's how syndromes work, btw. You get exposure to something through inhalation, ingestion, etc. and it does things to you. But you can have creature variations as a syndrome and be granted immunity from another class of syndromes via syndrome. I'm pretty sure there is a way to use skin-contact as the vector for the syndrome, because deadly rains can do that, but idk how.)
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 272