Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 272

Author Topic: Murdermachines - Return of the VoidGod (Deathgate II)  (Read 789333 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: Murdermachines - Return of the VoidGod (Deathgate II)
« Reply #3885 on: March 12, 2015, 01:02:06 pm »

I like slaughterhiem (did I spell that right?) better than slaughterhelm.

Add the word, also if we add nuclear power We are going to have a party, (and Fun)

To keep it balanced you might want to add enemys that are immune to the efects of radiation so a river of death won't killthem.

Yes to the ents as well.

I personally would wait for the next version though.

Multiracial forts and to many good new features to not use it.

If the next version has problems toady can fix them, if the fixes were to break the save then we can render it non-cannon or do the story soultion of the dwarfs getting fed up with all the insanity and going to another world.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: March 12, 2015, 03:24:56 pm »

I would prefer Slaughterworld, but that's just me. Also, for a nuclear reactor building, you could just make a building that releases a blob of a custom material with a fixed high temperature and a contact syndrome (redundant, but this should make it deadly to dragons as well). Put rough pitchblende in, get fire out. I've been thinking about modding a lot recently.

I do fear that we might be going too far from the core concept of Deathgate with all these mods, though. Personally, I would prefer just having the demon army and perhaps the voidspawn.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: March 12, 2015, 03:57:30 pm »

I do fear that we might be going too far from the core concept of Deathgate with all these mods, though. Personally, I would prefer just having the demon army and perhaps the voidspawn.
Yeah, at some point it isn't a sequel, it's just another fort with the same community. Like Demongate and Crownhammers.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: March 12, 2015, 05:04:56 pm »

im not to worried about that happening. because if you ask me, a major part of the deathgate saga is the void and body snatching.....though maybe a full on  nuclear reactor is a bit much having radiation syndromes and poisoning water with it sounds fine (but I so want that reactor)

and the insanity....
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: March 12, 2015, 05:23:59 pm »

im not to worried about that happening. because if you ask me, a major part of the deathgate saga is the void and body snatching.....though maybe a full on  nuclear reactor is a bit much having radiation syndromes and poisoning water with it sounds fine (but I so want that reactor)

and the insanity....
Well, the way I spin the Slaughterheim world, it's basically a world that came precorrupted by the void, so we're not terribly new, just incredibly insane and dangerous. And I'm not really intending to do it super far from the core concept of Deathgate, we're still body-snatchers from the void and we're still dangerous and insane, and the voidspawn will have invaded this world just like the world of MurderMachines and Deathgate. It's just also going to have a bit more involved smelting, with some bonus crafts that weren't there before and a few small-time races. ( Note: Small-time doesn't mean deadly, though we may, in fact, never see the reapers at all. They're not meant to be around as much as the voidspawn, they're just a different type of threat that provides a valuable dwarfy metal if you can kill them. As per Nightbringers, they're supposed to be more obnoxious than deadly and domovoi are kinda... just there for the hell of it. These three species are all I'm going to add and you all have the power to veto or request amendment for any feature of them. )

As per the nuclear reactor and the nuclear forge, those are just because I think it would be fun. Not to mention it's not outside the realm of reason that creatures in contact with the void so long have picked up some strange tech. And as per the alchemy... I'm keeping it very, very basic. ( You have a reaction to attempt to make rocks into cheese or plump helmets with about a 50-50 chance of success and the chance of dangerous by-products. ) These mods are meant to augment and enrichen the world of Slaughterheim, not overhaul it. And believe me, I really want it to happen.

Yeah, at some point it isn't a sequel, it's just another fort with the same community. Like Demongate and Crownhammers.
To address these legitimate concerns: In addition to what I said above about the player power to veto features and the fact that we could be testing and planning for another few weeks, I don't think anything will make it in that's going to ruin the game. These features are to add a bit more flavour and uniquity to the fort, as well as to provide an alternative to my water-wheel frustrations in MurderMachines. Besides, if we're taking it darker and edgier, which seems to be the ultimate goal of all Dwarf Fortress at some point, then why wouldn't we add new threats? I mean, Voidspawn weren't around in the first Deathgate and they didn't ruin things, I fail to see why ents, domovye, reapers and nightbringers would. Especially considering that our interactions with all but the domovye will probably be very rare. ( Nightbringers are a semi-megabeast that's basically an enderman expy, except with females and more Lovecraftian, ie more tentacles. They don't really attack very violently, but they don't react to pain and the release a gas that causes fever, temporary paralysis and [with you guys' okay] blindness. [I will switch it to temporary blindness if you guys want me to.] ) As per anything everybody else is adding, as long as we keep it pretty small, should be fine. ( Personally, I'm far more interested to see the engravings of the Anima before he even emerges. I have him modded in as a mythical figure. I think that's only fair. )

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: March 12, 2015, 05:26:14 pm »

Note: We should really be using the Successor thread for this, especially since I'm (probably) going to post the Summer update later tonight.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: March 15, 2015, 06:41:58 pm »

Successor thread? Link meh.

As to the gold/lead question, the only real difference I know of, at least in reality, is color and chemical behavior, to wit: Gold doesn't have any, but lead's poisonous and can corrode.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: March 16, 2015, 12:29:37 am »

Oh, that successor thread. :P Thank you kindly.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: March 16, 2015, 02:18:48 pm »

AGHHHHAHGHGAG * angrish * Once again I'm having to start over at the beginning of summer. This time it's partially my fault, partially the game's. ( Instead of the fault of a disappearing save like last time. ) The game got hung in saving and would not respond, so I had to kill it. Naturally, this corrupted the save file. I attempted to backup from the backup I had just made an hour ago, but somehow managed to get the directories confused and deleted the backup, NOT the corrupted save. This, of course, immediately caused my blood pressure to spike and as I am in public right now, I couldn't fucking cuss the dumb son of a whore out for being such a stupid fucking piece of shit. So, ONCE AGAIN, I'm starting over at the beginning of summer. After the class that I have to get to in like 10m which is the whole reason I couldn't wait for the damn thing to get its head out of its ass in the first place. ( This after my laptop battery died, mind you, so I just barely avoided corrupting the backup too, as the file operation finished mere seconds before the battery died. ) In conclusion, the next two updates will be in "Alternate Universe" format, detailing my first two summer runs whilst I go at it again. This time, I'm triple backuping every time I save, only playing when my devices are explicitly plugged in, and turning off compressed saves so that if all goes wrong, at very least we can play a glitchy Terry-esque version of the game and so that it'll save quicker. I'm just going to have to use up the remaining Gig and a half on my flash drive on this one greedy succession fort. I guess this is what I get for having such peaceful runs. * sighs * So yea. But no, I'm not letting the fort die. Because fuck you MurderMachines. :| If I can't progress the game past summer, one of you had damn well better step up and do it for me. I gotta calm down and go to class now. See ya later folks!

(( By the way MurderMachines is sentient. Tread lightly. ))

EDIT: WIIIIIINNNNDDDDMIIIIILLLLLLSSSSSS.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: March 16, 2015, 03:48:19 pm »

Summer in a Doomed Timeline:

There's always that one guy who just loafs around on his job. Ulborb has been on the same tile as the giant wood axle I have set up for the windmills and the pumps for my giant project. I can only imagine he's sitting on it like it's a bench. Though considering that his left foot is pretty messed up, I can forgive him. He'll need to move pretty soon once I get the next windmill in and everything starts moving.

24th Malachite: Kresvin has grown attached to an adamantine short sword. On the one hand, great! We'll have a new named artifact soon. On the other, that really sucks because it means that using that sword again is going to be confusing.

A quick lookover of the job list shows some disturbing facts - at least six dwarves are resting in the hospital. What's up with that? On the other hand, Shaggard is dying cloth. That's good.

27th Malachite: Much kitten-slaughter ensues, but hey, that's our way of stamping out cat-based entropy. :) Also there's some more Crow people pecking around the edge surface of the fort. They shouldn't be a concern, but they are there and I thought I'd mention them.

Ah crap, somebody's llama starved to death. We really need an outdoor pasture that's fenced in for protection so that all the rotting corpses of our starving animals don't stink up the place. ( Also, I'm not PETA member, but when an animal death is avoidable, it should be avoided. Especially since Dwarves won't butcher something that died on its own! )

My apologies to those with a sense of aesthetics, I just built the wall based on what is closest.

28th: It's raining.

3rd Galena: Congrats to Microblighted Onolnom, who has become a Cheese Maker. ( I originally read that as "Omnomnom",  which lead to much lols on my part.)

5th Galena: The Ghostly Dwarven Baby is haunting the area where I am trying to build windmills to tilt at! Call the Dwarven exorcist!

Also, I don't know who is responsible for the travesty of our Stonemurderer being forbiddden to stonemurder, but I fixed it. Construction on the megaproject must continue!

Despite the fact that Josh could probably be doing something more useful, I've got her engraving the walls of the lava-pit room, because she must never stop engraving! :D

Also, while we're on the subject of Josh, can we just stop for a second to look at how freaking amazing she is?

I am promoting her to unofficial royalty and she will have an extravagant and lovely bedroom with all of the best and things she likes. Therefore, she shan't be verry unhappy anymore. At 141 years old - half as old as the world itself - she deserves better! ( Also, it's good that she no longer be flying into rages. )

11th Galena: Ah, the wonderful sound of a Master dwarf doing what she loves. Making everything she touches a masterpiece. Hopefully, being off mining duty and away from the caverns will boost her morale, and when her GLORIUS FUCKING BEDROOM is done, she should be even happier, if not downright ecstatic. Unfortunately, it seems that we're out of featherwood for now. Maybe the humans will bring some?

12th Galena: Already, Josh's mood increases drastically. A few days of good work and any sad or angry dwarf can find themselves again. Also, her wounds seem to be healing very quickly.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: March 16, 2015, 03:49:19 pm »

I still feel really bummed out about losing that save. I was quite satisfied with the progress I had made.

EDIT: Good news! All is not lost! By some miracle, I still have the version of the save in about mid-summer.

EDIT: And things pretty much went the same as the prior update.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 05:05:30 pm by CaptainMcClellan »

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: March 17, 2015, 09:17:34 am »

A-MA-ZING. Guess what? The flash drive that I have my Dwarf Fortress files on? It broke. :| I still have the backups I made to my hard-drive, but if I go with those I am going to have to replay the last month and a half in-game because I was unable to back up my files and my backups to my harddrive before the flash drive broke. It's like some kind of sick, twisted Groundhog's Day loop where I can't make any progress whatsoever no matter how hard I try. Fear not, intrepid Fortress players, I have a plan. I am going to use the 5$ I had for lunch to bribe a fellow Electrical Engineering student to attempt to fix the flash drive and back up my files. :| It's not ideal, but it's something. ( Of course, don't worry, I'll only resort to bribery if they won't do it for free first, but there's a big exam today and apparently IEEE members are kinda all dicks. Not that many knew what to do anyway, but mainly I just need a steady hand and someone experienced in the soldering thing in case I managed to lift a solder pad from the circuit board - it wouldn't have been the first time. ) No I don't know how this happened, it just did and I'm kinda bummed about it, but I'm not giving up until I complete my year. :| ( That's probably stupid and bad for my health, but it's the sunk costs fallacy mixed with my inability to take insult well. )

( By the way: MurderMachines: Definitely sentient. )

EDIT: I don't know if this is significant but the date it keeps resetting to is 18th Malachite.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: March 17, 2015, 11:41:59 pm »

Yep, it's been discussed previously, there is something about the Murdermachines and Deathgate save files, makes em' very... Unusual.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: March 18, 2015, 01:10:30 am »

Yep, it's been discussed previously, there is something about the Murdermachines and Deathgate save files, makes em' very... Unusual.

Well, you know...
Nope, that's just the Deathgate Madness warping reality itself.  We call the madness Terry and scold him whenever reality breaks.

Bad Terry, bad!
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 272