Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 272

Author Topic: Murdermachines - Return of the VoidGod (Deathgate II)  (Read 786271 times)

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murdermachines - Invasion of the Body Snatchers! (Deathgate II)
« Reply #810 on: April 22, 2013, 12:13:42 pm »

I don't know enough about DF modding to know if this is possible, but...

What if Voidspawn were somehow butcherable?

What if one of their products was a void-heart made of a modded metal?

What if we could collect void-hearts and forge voidsabers and voidplate for our military?

Would be badass.

I didn't do much testing with Overlord-level voidspawn, most of my testing was soldiers. Voidspawn soldiers definitely beat some major ass.

I also found that they're *highly* arrow-resistant for the most part. I tested a 5-voidspawn soldier squad (naked/unskilled) against competent arrow militia armed with iron crossbows and plenty of bolts, and it took like three ever-increasingly-large waves of crossbowdwarves to finally kill the voidspawn. I think we can definitely injure and slow them down with crossbow legions, but they're so damned resilient that I'm not thinking bow spam will save us unless we set up, say, an underground megabunker with every available civilian packing iron/steel bolts.

And we've seen what so much as a Drone can do once released among the beards, considering that a single snatcher was enough to score quite a few kills.

I think the scariest part, though, is that damned taint. It kicks in fast enough that anyone who just manages to stalemate a voidspawn is actually more of a threat to our military than someone who dies instantly on contact, since the voidspawn seem guaranteed to win any extended engagement just via the abyssal taint/eventual enthralling of the opponent.

Do thralls automatically spawn wearing the original dwarf's gear? Do they get the dwarf's skills? If A or B are true, then danger rooming recruits might be the exact worst thing we could do...
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: April 22, 2013, 02:26:12 pm »

I don't know enough about DF modding to know if this is possible, but...

What if Voidspawn were somehow butcherable?

What if one of their products was a void-heart made of a modded metal?

What if we could collect void-hearts and forge voidsabers and voidplate for our military?

Would be badass.
Would be. But it certanly would need to regen the world, so it goes for the next chapter.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 22, 2013, 03:00:50 pm »

Would be. But it certanly would need to regen the world, so it goes for the next chapter.
Deathgate III: Forged from the Heart of the Void.
"I am a Legandary Weaver! Nobody handles cloth like me"
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"WHAT AN OUTRAGE! I AM A LIVING LEGEND! I SHOULD BE WEAVING"
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: April 22, 2013, 04:20:27 pm »

Jesus Flipping' Void-Eating Christ.

I spawned an Overlord into the arena with Grandmaster combat stats and full steel gear, to fight against dwarves wearing same.

The voidspawn overlord just won a 1v4 against Grandmaster axedwarves with steel gear.

When it started the fight with NO FREAKING ARMS.

Scratch that, a 1v6, both against axedwarves and speardwarves... then a 1v10 against wrestlers.

I finally, FINALLY, managed to kill it with a firing squad of like 15-20 steel-bolt-armed marksdwarves, so it appears that Voidspawn CAN be brought down by massed archers if they can focusfire. The problem is the voidspawn show up with a bunch of thralls and such, so... mass-shooting the overlord seems unlikely to work.

Guys, I'm genuinely scared now, these dudes are hardcore. My takeaway is that voidspawn basically should not be engaged in melee without superior numbers.

This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 22, 2013, 06:02:32 pm »

I spawned an Overlord into the arena with Grandmaster combat stats and full steel gear, to fight against dwarves wearing same.

The voidspawn overlord just won a 1v4 against Grandmaster axedwarves with steel gear.

Scratch that, a 1v6, both against axedwarves and speardwarves... then a 1v10 against wrestlers.

I finally, FINALLY, managed to kill it with a firing squad of like 15-20 steel-bolt-armed marksdwarves, so it appears that Voidspawn CAN be brought down by massed archers if they can focusfire. The problem is the voidspawn show up with a bunch of thralls and such, so... mass-shooting the overlord seems unlikely to work.

Guys, I'm genuinely scared now, these dudes are hardcore. My takeaway is that voidspawn basically should not be engaged in melee without superior numbers.

Going from that data, I'd say even superior numbers would be extremely iffy. On a good day. When everyone's awake and at peak performance. With micromanagement as heavy as possible. Basically, I'd say stick with magma bombs and webbed cage traps and stick  one of those Overlords in the arena single-handedly to face down the demons.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 22, 2013, 06:13:52 pm »

Going from that data, I'd say even superior numbers would be extremely iffy. On a good day. When everyone's awake and at peak performance. With micromanagement as heavy as possible. Basically, I'd say stick with magma bombs and webbed cage traps and stick  one of those Overlords in the arena single-handedly to face down the demons.

Some bona-fide cave in traps would be lovely.

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 22, 2013, 06:26:38 pm »

Wait, I have an idea. It'll take a while, but I have an idea. You know Dwarven Child Care? It's like that, but on an industrial scale.
  • Build a multi-layer residential area with one communal dining hall. The rooms should be at least great quality. Stick a bunch of nest boxes and as many fowl as possible. It should be designed as to have as little contact with the main fortress as possible.
  • Using burrows, confine 10 or so dwarven children, five male, five female, into this part of the fortress.
  • Let the children grow up into adults and reproduce.Insert new breeding stock if needed.
  • When sufficent numbers have been achieved, say, 100 adults, recruit 10 percent of the able bodied population into militia. They will have developed combat skills from their time in the- let's call it the incubator.
  • Train draftees with live action combat practice.
  • Continue yearly harvesting of soldiers and training.
  • When ten or so squads have been harvested and the voidspawn lay siege to fort, release soldiers upon enemy
I am a sick person.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 22, 2013, 06:29:13 pm »

Wait, I have an idea. It'll take a while, but I have an idea. You know Dwarven Child Care? It's like that, but on an industrial scale.
  • Build a multi-layer residential area with one communal dining hall. The rooms should be at least great quality. Stick a bunch of nest boxes and as many fowl as possible. It should be designed as to have as little contact with the main fortress as possible.
  • Using burrows, confine 10 or so dwarven children, five male, five female, into this part of the fortress.
  • Let the children grow up into adults and reproduce.Insert new breeding stock if needed.
  • When sufficent numbers have been achieved, say, 100 adults, recruit 10 percent of the able bodied population into militia. They will have developed combat skills from their time in the- let's call it the incubator.
  • Train draftees with live action combat practice.
  • Continue yearly harvesting of soldiers and training.
  • When ten or so squads have been harvested and the voidspawn lay siege to fort, release soldiers upon enemy
I am a sick person.

As delightful as this child soldier program is, surely you could harvest a greater percentage at a time?

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 22, 2013, 06:31:27 pm »

Also, it's worth noting that there is really no reason to give them the option of interracting with archers. Why not just make some arrow-bunkers, maybe 3-4 z-levels high, with fortifications, in such a way that a couple units of archers could shoot at any voidspawn to get near the entrance?
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 22, 2013, 10:15:46 pm »

The primary issue I encountered is that they're so damn resilient it takes a truly massive degree of overkill with regards to weight of fire before they start going down at any rate.

I'm not entirely certain how much even a huge marksdwarf force will slow them down with this in mind if we're talking about an army.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 22, 2013, 10:52:18 pm »

Oh, Clarity save us all...

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 22, 2013, 11:17:09 pm »

Troll Sock's turn has been skipped.  It is now Yuli Vlasi's turn.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: April 23, 2013, 01:42:08 am »

Why not create a pseudo-pit bridge trap? Have them wall a rediculously long straight path, maybe 20 tiles or so, and place a pressure plate five steps in. By the time they file in, they've flipped the latch and are all trapped within a 1x20 firing field to be set upon by magma/archers/war giant mambas.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 23, 2013, 02:08:44 am »

Why not create a pseudo-pit bridge trap? Have them wall a rediculously long straight path, maybe 20 tiles or so, and place a pressure plate five steps in. By the time they file in, they've flipped the latch and are all trapped within a 1x20 firing field to be set upon by magma/archers/war giant mambas.
No weaponised magma. FUN for the FUN god!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 23, 2013, 02:10:45 am »

So that leaves us with crossbowdwarves and war giant mambas.

Someone get us some motherloving snakes up in this motherloving (void)plane.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 272