Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 272

Author Topic: Murdermachines - Return of the VoidGod (Deathgate II)  (Read 777731 times)

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
Murdermachines - Return of the VoidGod (Deathgate II)
« on: January 06, 2013, 05:03:44 pm »

Usanstakud Nazushmestthos
Murdermachines the Blood-Citadel

"We have treasures of the ages piled around the fort in heaps of rotting garbage and flesh. We've created a home for a malevolent deity of ill fortune who seems predisposed to strike at us, the players, directly, in a way not seen since the days of the Virtual Boy. Our riches are guarded, not by traps or dwarven steel, but by the fact that the surface around us is so full of the murderous, the insane, and the murderously insane that one group of looters merely gets massacred by a group of marauders, and that's before the horrible abominations against nature trundle through and decapitate and/or assimilate the survivors. We have seen kobolds become conquerors, seen the very walls fracture and crumble before unnatural misfortune and poor forethought, and placed all our hopes in a batch of tortured, soulless children and the literal avatar of annihilation itself, because every other God worth mentioning turned away from us in horror a long, long time ago. Our home is no more and no less than a beacon of slaughter, a living, breathing organism that eats life, drinks hope, and shits misery as every sentient race in the known world gathers here to offer their best and bravest at the altar of Terry.

Nietzsche wrote, "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friends, we are not he who fights monsters. We are not he who gazes into the abyss.

We're the thing in the abyss that's gazing back!"

--Kefkacrazy

Sequel to the legendary Deathgate!

Still on TvTropes!

Quotes:
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: kefkakrazy
Here we have Dortimus, the ultimate punching bag. For some odd reason, 2 entire squads went for her. After she fell unconscious, they all proceeded to break all of her ribs repeatedly for 2 ingame days before one of them headshotted her.

Terry almighty.

Those voidspawn must have been pro-life, to go after the Abortionist like that.

Quotes section. Now.

Quote from: SanDiego
One thousand and fifty three female goblins? That's either bug or you were the worst back-alley abortionist EVER.

Honestly, random crossbow-based surgical experimentation is probably a step up when it comes to Mad Fool's ethical practices.

Quote from: CognitiveDissonance
You misunderstand. Those are Goblin migrants, who have heard about the wealth of the fortress and have come to live in our cages/moats/arenas.

Quote from: Teh_Idort
Murder-Machines, You aren't welcome unless you have had somebody inside you at least once.

So do we actually have any animals here, or is Murdermachines just the universe's biggest furry convention slash charnel house?

Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
TalonisWolf, sadly the deathcount has not reached the thousands yet. We are at 782 right now.
Fun fact: About 1/7 of all deaths that occured in Murdermachines have been caused by the void god.

Introduction:
When I died, I expected to enter the Golden Halls of the Stonemaker and take my place among my ancestors.  I expected feasts and fine ale for all eternity; my reward for my tireless crusade against the foul demons that threatened our world.  Instead, as I stood before the Eternal Gate, I found them closed to me and my brothers.  My fallen comrades and I sat before the Eternal Gate, hoping it would someday open to us.  We prayed to the Stonemaker, sang songs in his name, and hoped he would make his will known to us.

Finally, his voice came to us.

The Stonemaker told us the truth.  In our struggle against the demons, we had become tainted.  The moment my kin entered Hell, our souls were forever tainted in the Stonemaker's eyes.  Our unclean souls would never reside within his Golden Halls.  The noble crusade my people had devoted ourselves too, the selfless belief that we would protect the world, had damned us.  We begged for a way to cleanse our souls.  Yet our pleas fell on deaf ears.  Never would we see the Golden Halls.  Our punishment was not complete however; the Stonemaker would not let us dwell in purgatory before the Eternal Gate.  He cast us out into the abyss.

Into that horrible… cold, black void…

There was nothing but emptiness.  All of us were trapped in that void; there was no light, no sensation, and the only sound was the screams of our brethren.  We could only scream.

But as we languished, we found him, the end to our lament.  He, the black formless mass from the void, told us that he had been watching the inhabitants of Deathgate.  And he offered us a deal, an escape.  And it was through Him we found salvation.  He taught us to escape the void and to return to the world of the living.  We learned to possess the bodies of living dwarves and, in exchange for their souls, we could take their bodies as our own.  Alas our skills were imperfect; at first we would forget ourselves upon taking a new body; however in death, our memories would always return to us.  As time went on, we were able to retain more and more of ourselves.  While we wanted to ensure our immortality and avoid the Abyss forever, we could never make the preparations we needed.
And worst of all, each time we died and were forced to take another body, our souls became further tainted; becoming further divorced from the dwarves we had once been.  Despite the price, it meant avoiding that terrible fate of the Abyss…

But then Deathgate was swallowed by the Chaos god.  This was a cataclysmic time and  many of my brothers, and myself, were in the Abyss when the last of the dwarves fell.  At first we thought ourselves lucky to have avoided such a fate.  But then we found we were unable to possess the bodies of other races.  We were left forever trapped in the void, unable to do anything but scream into the endless blackness.

I don’t know how long we were remained in that void.  A day, a year, a century?  Time has no meaning in the Abyss.  But during that time, I changed.

I went insane; as did we all.  With no stimuli for our mind, I lost all sense of self.  My memories merged with those belonging to the bodies I had possessed.  My subconscious and my conscious mind slowly dissolved into one and my being expanded outwards.  Over time I grew hungry for meaning, for purpose.  So I began to consume the souls of humans to sate my desire.  I was not alone in this, several of my other brethren followed suit.  Through our hunger we became powerful and the world became visible in ours mind’s eye.  Slowly we learned the secrets of the Abyss.  Yet we remained unsatisfied.  Although we held knowledge and power, we were still trapped in the void.  And since the Abyss was immutable, we could never bend it to our will.  For all our power, we were could do nothing but toy with the humans and feast upon their straying souls.

We had become like Him; the dark voice of the Abyss that gave us hope and a way to originally escape.  From time to time, he would speak to us.  Both He Who Dwells in the Void and ourselves could never escape.

But then I felt the soul of a dwarf.

Not a soul belonging to my brethren, these souls were still untouched by the taint that had damned us here.  I could feel them beyond the veil of the Abyss, beyond the world we knew.  It wasn’t just one or two souls; no, it thousands of them.  I had found my and my brethren's salvation from this foul Abyss.  Another world, filled with souls and ripe for the conquest.  We could take new bodies, create a new dwarven empire, and never again dwell in the Abyss.

I plunged through the black veil and let my eyes view the new world.

Information:
Dwarf Fortress v. 34.11
Custom Modded

Rules:
1. Each player has one in-game year to run the fortress.
2. Each player has two weeks real time to finish their turn.  This time frame may be changed if deemed necessary.
3. Once the previous players turn ends, you have 48 hours to begin your turn.
4. Try not to kill the fortress.

Succession List:
1. AnimaRytak - Started 01/08/2013 - Ended 01/11/2013: 1 2 3 4
2. StLeibowitz - Started 01/13/2013 - Ended 01/27/2013: 1 2 3 4 5 6
3. InsanityIncarnate - Started 02/01/2013 - End 02/16/2013: 1 2 3
4. bulborbish - Started 02/17/2013- 03/03/2013: 1 2 3
5. slowpokez - Started 03/03/2013 - Ended 03/07/2013: 1 2
6. peregarrett - Started 03/26/2013 - Ended 03/04/2013 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
7. Chimpanzee - Started 04/05/2013 - Ended 04/15/2013: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
9. Yuli Vlasi - Start 05/03/2013 - End 05/12/2013: 1 2 3 4 5 6
10. kefkacrazy - Start 05/18/2013 - End 05/20/2013: 1 2
11. AnimaRytak - Start 05/21/2013 - End 05/31/2013: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
12. GentlemanRaptor - Started 06/02/2013 - Ended 06/15/2013: 1 2 3 4 5 6
13. SanDiego - Started 06/16/2013 - 06/26/2013: 1 2 3 4 5
14. thegoatgod_pan - Started 07/07/2013 - Ended 07/12/2013: 1 2
15. Nonsequitorian - Started 07/20/2013 - Ended 07/24/2013: 1 2 3
16. gunpowdertea - Started 08/12/2013 - Ended 08/22/2013: 1 2 3 5
17. Yuli Vlasi - Started 09/17/2013 - End 10/5/2013: 1
18. peregarrett - Started 10/07/2013: 1
19. Krevsin
20. wlerin
21. Kazimuth
22. Tryrar
--. Kefkakrazy
--. gunpowdertea
666. AnimaRytak 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Dwarf Journals
Derm's Journal: 1 2
The Mad Fool's Journal 1 2 3 4 5
Yuli Vlasi's Journal: 1 2
xSkeletalx: 1

Dorf-inator:
Dwarf List
Dorfing is done via this list.  Add yourself to a row and make a thread post about adding yourself to the list. 
Dorfing is done on a first come, first serve basis.

Fan Contributions
Our Greeting Party by Slowpokez
Prosnorkulus and his Axe by Slowpokez
The Wereape Alu Odiyarenuna by Slowpokez
The First Elven Caravan:1 2 3 4 5 by Slowpokez
Voidspawn Soldier by Yuli Vlasi

Notable Screens:
Dortimus, (A Really Bad) Back-Alley Abortionist or a Misogynist

Current Save:
Here (Last Updated October 6nd, 2013)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:58:29 pm by AnimaRytak »
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Murdermachines - Invasion of the Body Snatchers! (Deathgate II)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:09:37 pm »

Can we be dorfed without running a year?

If yes, I'll take the milita commander.

Name: Derm
Job Name: Military Overseer. Title: 'Fearbreak(er?)'
Profession: Axedwarf
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 05:12:42 pm »

Can we be dorfed without running a year?

If yes, I'll take the milita commander.

Name: Derm
Job Name: Military Overseer. Title: 'Fearbreak(er?)'
Profession: Axedwarf

Of course!  The more dorfs, the better.

Just remember, all dorfs are playing the Body Surf game.  We're basically ghosts that keep snatching bodies for fun and profit.
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 05:14:41 pm »

Excellent. I have permanently reclaimed my rightful position then.

If I remember right, in the previous deathgate I was actually four dwarves at once and in a bad end I punched out a flaming forgotten beast in one hit without injury. As the mayor.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 05:26:14 pm »

I'll take a turn and a dwarf, please.

Name: Cassetheru if male, Cassatheru is female
Job Name: The [creature s/he doesn't like]slayer
Profession: Chief Medical Dwarf (only enable diagnosis, butchery and surgery. Make him/her haul if there's nothing to do)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 05:29:56 pm »

Profession: Chief Medical Dwarf (only enable diagnosis, butchery and surgery. Make him/her haul if there's nothing to do)

The Mad Fool has a rival I see.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 07:02:26 pm »

Name: Saint
Job Name: Templar of Armok
Profession: Marksdwarf, possibly also weaponsmith.

I would like a turn, please :) Should give me some experience for my turn in Horrorfailed if that fortress survives 30 years of existence.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 08:46:18 pm »

The Mad Fool has a rival I see.
An unwitting rival at that. I never had anything to do with Deathgate, so I know absolutely nothing about it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 09:08:19 pm »

I'm in for a turn and if possible I'd also be up for a dorfing. :P
Name: Prosnorkulus.
Profession:Axedwarf.
Preferably quite fat.

Edit:Am I 3d or 4th?
Edit2: ???
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:05:19 am by slowpokez »

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 10:04:27 pm »

I guess I'll take a turn as a Overseer and a Dwarf

Name: Ulborb
Job Name: Stonemurderer
Profession: Miner, maybe some ranks in mason (I guess not as important as miner)

Of course, I completely suck at military, so hopefully I don't drive the fortress into the ground.

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 05:31:17 am »

I'll take a dwarf!
Name: Jables
Job Name: Stoneman
Profession: Miner/Axedwarf
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 08:06:07 am »

Name: Puff
Job Name: Stonewhisperer
Profession: Mason/Mechanic

Also a turn at year 4 please.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 08:18:51 am »

Name: Baelor the Malevolent  :P
Profession: swordsdwarf ( when you decide to get a military up )

I almost missed this thread.  Almost.  BTW, I don't actually want a turn.  Just a dorfing.

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 08:22:53 am »

Gar, the male metalsmith, please! Will work with most valuable available metal to increase fortress wealth beyong the limits.
Also, I want a turn.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 09:03:06 am »

Derpislava, female mechanic, siege engineer/operator and speardorf, please.

"Overseer" means joining the succesion list? If yes, find a place for me on it.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 272