Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 272

Author Topic: Murdermachines - Return of the VoidGod (Deathgate II)  (Read 788765 times)

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
Re: Murdermachines - Invasion of the Body Snatchers! (Deathgate II)
« Reply #315 on: February 10, 2013, 05:00:22 am »

An important thing dawned on me - last time I read about the sacrificial altar design, it sorely lacked in upright pointy thingies department. Gravity is good, gravity with pointy thingies even better!
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 10, 2013, 02:49:33 pm »

An important thing dawned on me - last time I read about the sacrificial altar design, it sorely lacked in upright pointy thingies department. Gravity is good, gravity with pointy thingies even better!

I put a weapons trap with eight giant saw blades in it at the bottom. The theory was that the drop would knock the sacrifice out, and the buzzsaws would spray bits of it (as well as copious volumes of its blood) across the temple.  If the drop remains too short, we'll just have to build a tower above ground to drop them from.

In retrospect, though, a spike would probably have been more efficient - but efficiency is never a primary goal in these projects, only a potential side effect.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #317 on: February 11, 2013, 02:47:02 am »

OK, the weapon trap at the bottom of Ye Olde Pitte of Sacrifice will be replaced with 10 upright spears, linked to a lever in the dining room.
I'm also smoothing out and engraving a lot of the sacrificial chamber. Personally, I'd prefer it to end inside an adamantine spire, deep inside the SMR, but a microcline vein will have to suffice.

While this was progressing, a mason claimed his workshop. (?)

One of the children, As Astodkubuk, has grown up! She's now a goose!
Wait, what?

The mason has begun a mysterious construction, involving copper bars, rough gems, and malachite.

All steel crossbow bolts are being melted down, and the resultant bars will be used for the spikes in the Pitte.

We have 119 turkey eggs. Those turkeys are pretty busy.

Traders have arrived! Alright, let's trade! We have rock crafts to sell to our fellow dwarves!

And our dear mason has created Kubuk Raluk, a malachite table valued at 12000☼:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A bucket is attacking! It's trying to steal our children!
Uh. OK, the bucket took one look at our manager and fled.

A bucket is attacking! It's also trying to steal our children!
This bucket distracted the masons working on my Ye Olde Towere of Sacrifice. Then fled. These buckets suck at stealing children.

Trade with the dwarves has begun. I gave them some flutes in exchange for their plump helmets and some seeds, but they were rapidly losing patience by the time I bartered four barrels of booze out of them... for 500☼ worth of crafts.

Every surface in the sacrificial room has been set for engraving. It's going to be pretty awesome when it's done.

And... that's it for now, unless I'm horribly mistaken.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 11, 2013, 03:08:13 am »

A bucket is attacking! It's trying to steal our children!
Uh. OK, the bucket took one look at our manager and fled.

A bucket is attacking! It's also trying to steal our children!
This bucket distracted the masons working on my Ye Olde Towere of Sacrifice. Then fled. These buckets suck at stealing children.
uh, WHAT????
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 11, 2013, 03:16:56 am »

Buckets are stealing children? What, do they have a bottomless pit inside of them?

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 11, 2013, 06:24:48 am »

Well, it's difficult not to suck at everything when you lack the basic five senses and a nervous system. Silly buckets!
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

The Mad Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 11, 2013, 09:14:28 am »

I suspect he's having tileset issues, seeing as how one of the children grew up to be a goose.

Either that or Terry is turning his hand to transmogrification and animation.
The closest thing we have to what some call 'allies' gets slaughtered in front of our gates. Unfortunately they don't transform into mindless beasts, trying to kill us.
Today is a sad day.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 11, 2013, 09:41:11 am »

Maybe an adventurer brought a wand of polymorph from Nethack. :P
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 11, 2013, 12:25:59 pm »

Does the dwarf/goose have a name yet?
Also, why are the goblins represented by buckets?
A medium-sized container driven to cruelty by its evil nature.

Murdermachines, Year 3: Inanimate objects attempt to steal our children but it's fine because they simply turn into animals before something bad happens
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 11, 2013, 03:20:00 pm »

Oh , jesus. Tileset issues just make me laugh so much. That said, if they can be purged, it will delay the coming of Terry for a time.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 11, 2013, 07:07:26 pm »

I've made a dorfing request, and would also like to be added to the turn-list if at all possible. Also, sorry I'm late to the party. I missed the link on the first post of the Deathgate thread.
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #326 on: February 11, 2013, 10:31:48 pm »

I laughed a lot when I read your responses to my buckets/goose nonsense, and now people are looking at me.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's a tileset problem:
this tileset is WEIRD. Everything looks creepy. I don't like it. Make it go away!
why are the goblins represented by buckets?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

AutoScribe

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Do not go gentle
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 12, 2013, 02:54:11 am »

Okay. I've been stalking this thread for a short while now, and have finally given in to the urge to sign up. Nice to meet you everybody!!!
*sighs*
God help me.
Warhammer has Chaos
Warhammer 40,000 has Chaos, Tyranids, and Necrons
Dwarf Fortress has FUN

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 12, 2013, 02:57:45 am »

Have I been dorfed yet?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 272