Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 272

Author Topic: Murdermachines - Return of the VoidGod (Deathgate II)  (Read 777666 times)

The Mad Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am amused that The Mad Fool's longevity remains as unabated in this incarnation as in the last.  This just goes to show the depths of insane depravity required to survive in Deathgate.
The closest thing we have to what some call 'allies' gets slaughtered in front of our gates. Unfortunately they don't transform into mindless beasts, trying to kill us.
Today is a sad day.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am not even going to touch this until tomorrow at the earliest, but have no fear: There WILL be shit, and it WILL go down.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile

Take the optimistic perspective - since we are all dead, we can't be killed in whatever fuckup will happen.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile

Well, you are dead. I have to fear for my dorf's only son.
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile

I'm getting used to be dead. All my dwarf-ego's tend to die in some truly imaginative ways.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

xSkeletalx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Added myself to the Dorfinator - not ready to sign up for a turn but I'm more than willing to die in various stupid fashions for the glory of the Void!

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Notes so far:

I'm going to wind up completely f*%&ing pretty much all labor assignments. I'll try to lay them back out in a sane fashion once I'm done but for right now I can't afford to let anybody specialize, I got stuff needs doin' and everything else can wait on that.

I'm currently working on making sure that the fortress is completely cut off from above and below so that I can try to stabilize things. I have a lot of slabs to make.

The Mad Fool is missing a leg but is otherwise okay. He was thirsty, but as one of my first actions I'm going to shut down all labor assignments and tell people to get to the fricking hospital with water and food. Pitchblende and Scaliper are alive but have critical wounds; Pitchblende has serious internal wounds (bruised organs), and Scaliper has a broken spine in addition to a laundry list of other wounds.

I may try to get to dorfing but right now there aren't nearly enough warm bodies to house you jokers and a bunch of them are borderline tantrum. A kid started throwing a tantrum off and on a couple times while I was looking.

The "AMBASSADOR" is still alive and in our tomb, to my horror. At this point I'm half tempted to shove the entire fortress into crossbow squads and carve out the walls of the tomb into fortifications just to reclaim the damn thing, because I'm sure as shit going to need it.

Yuli, quick question: Are we secure from above? What do I need to do to make sure nothing can get in, and what do I need to do to open back up if migrants show up?
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We currently have eight ghosts in the place. Four of them are unnamed, including one dead baby ghost, but congratulations are due to Oryx, Aoshi, Blade, and Brokenmind for being hate-filled enough to pay us a return visit.

Mad Fool is now our manager, on account of Pitchblende and Scaliper being too almost dead to do bookwork. He appears to be mocking them, as he's now on his foot and hobbling around the place looking for test subjects. He tried to write orders for the various dead bodies to be moved to his lab, but I was able to countermand this in time.

Current fortress mood: We have some miserable children, but most of the rest of the fortress are actually in fairly good spirits.

AnimaRytak, you have been redorfed as AnimaRytak II, Lich-King (I can change to Overlord if that is preferred). You are a legendary bonecarver and again the only Ecstatic dwarf in the fortress.

I have carved fortifications into the walls of the tomb and drafted all of the vacant vessels into a marksdwarf squad. I need that tomb cleared!

Hmm. Tomb clear did not work. Damn. (The engravers wouldn't finish the job once a few tiles were mined out, and the gunners wouldn't use it. I'll work on it later or leave it for the next person)

This is utterly screwed. Guys, how do I operate the fortress gates? There appears to be a drawbridge that locks the front gate and has us cut off from the outside (which is good) but I don't know how to open it (which is bad).

The good news is we have enough food and booze in place to support the fortress pre-AMBASSADOR, much less these broken remnants.'

Quick question: WTF is this? It looks like someone had some mining operations going on in the caverns, but I've sealed those off as well to try to make sure we don't encounter any of AMBASSADOR's friends.

[note: For anyone having trouble with the line spacing on the Dorfinator not matching your cell selection, it works best in Chrome and will be a bit buggy in Firefox.]

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Build a Bastilla  to kill the Ambassador.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A Bastilla? I mean, she was annoying so I never used her, but how do you think she could solo the Ambassador?

Oh, wait, you mean a ballista, not Bastila.

Problem is the dwarves won't do it. There's no place safe to put one because of the layout of the tomb and the walls erected to seal in the Ambassador that's not so close to Ambassador that the engravers and/or operators won't flee. No, I think for the moment, the Ambassador lays claim to the tomb. We literally have no military right now to go in and take it back. All I've accomplished is punching murderholes into the walls of our ancestral burial ground.

EDIT: Further thought: Considering our fortress pedigree, murderholes in the walls of our ancestral burial ground is probably the best design feature we could have possibly sought out, though it could do with a good deal less monster.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 10:36:57 pm by kefkakrazy »

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile

Yuli, quick question: Are we secure from above? What do I need to do to make sure nothing can get in, and what do I need to do to open back up if migrants show up?
As far as I know nothing except flying creatures can get inside as long as you don't open the bridge or deconstruct some walls. For some reason the bridge was constructed in a way in which the closed gate looks exactly like the open one, so you have to pay attention to dwarven or enemy movement to figure out if it's opened or closed. The lever has a note on it and can be found on layer 90. There are two levers inside a room. The left one made of limestone opens the front gate. I have no idea what the other one does.

The dude you dorfed as Anima is the one who made the dwarfbone warhammer. Good job, our leader is a maniac.

Quick question: WTF is this? It looks like someone had some mining operations going on in the caverns, but I've sealed those off as well to try to make sure we don't encounter any of AMBASSADOR's friends.

This was supposed to be the former mayor's tomb/hallway filled with traps. I don't know what you sealed of there, but this layer is actually safe. The entrance to the caverns is already sealed of with a closed bridge. As long as you don't pull the lever on that leverl it should be fine.
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As far as I know nothing except flying creatures can get inside as long as you don't open the bridge or deconstruct some walls. For some reason the bridge was constructed in a way in which the closed gate looks exactly like the open one, so you have to pay attention to dwarven or enemy movement to figure out if it's opened or closed. The lever has a note on it and can be found on layer 90. There are two levers inside a room. The left one made of limestone opens the front gate. I have no idea what the other one does.
The other lever controls the position of the bridge found exactly one level below the ground, just in front of the depot.
Kefkakrazy, use THAT lever if you want entire safety from external threats. Use the limestone lever if you want the refuse stockpile. Or just move everything underground.
"I am a Legandary Weaver! Nobody handles cloth like me"
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"WHAT AN OUTRAGE! I AM A LIVING LEGEND! I SHOULD BE WEAVING"
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This was supposed to be the former mayor's tomb/hallway filled with traps. I don't know what you sealed of there, but this layer is actually safe. The entrance to the caverns is already sealed of with a closed bridge. As long as you don't pull the lever on that leverl it should be fine.

Good to know, I can deconstruct the wall I built and let the dorfs back out. I was just getting super paranoid at this point because I had no way of knowing if that layer was safe and one good critter getting into the fortress proper would probably be pretty much it at this point.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile

For your convenience: When opened, the drawbridge on that level takes up an area of 3x3 tiles (it's a square, just saying).

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Um.

You guys know I said I was going to do my level best to try not to kill the fortress.

So it turns out that it actually is really hard to tell if the gate is open or closed, because it's a one-tile bridge. Huh.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 05:28:37 pm by kefkakrazy »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 272