Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 272

Author Topic: Murdermachines - Return of the VoidGod (Deathgate II)  (Read 794718 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: Murdermachines - Return of the VoidGod (Deathgate II)
« Reply #3735 on: February 08, 2015, 10:35:27 pm »

Specs don't matter; Dwarf Fortress itself is the only entity that decides how well it runs.
Oh, so it just likes me then?  -:P
I think it just hated Terry, and it has a "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" ideology.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: February 09, 2015, 03:07:27 pm »

Specs don't matter; Dwarf Fortress itself is the only entity that decides how well it runs.
Oh, so it just likes me then?  -:P
I think it just hated Terry, and it has a "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" ideology.
Ahhh... By the by, anyone have any tips on how to run Dwarf Fortress in Windows 98? ( Second Edition, btw. )

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: February 09, 2015, 08:45:03 pm »

Whats going on now? I'm not exactly sure.
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: February 09, 2015, 11:35:27 pm »

Whats going on now? I'm not exactly sure.
Pending my turn.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: February 12, 2015, 12:37:44 am »

Peendiiinng?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: February 12, 2015, 08:23:40 am »

Peendiiinng?
20 Credit Hours and a sleep condition tend to stymy any personal time, and whether y'all approve or not, I spend most of that talking to my girlfriend of playing some dumb game on my tablet because my laptop isn't working and I'm not about to try the desktop computer at home. Maybe if I lived on campus and had 24-hour access to free comps I'd play more. Good news though, I should be getting a new charger for my laptop in a few business days! Also, as soon as I do my homework today ( or rather if I do ) I'll put in an hour or so on the fort.

(( Completely unrelated, but I have another interpretation of Global Warming. It's not a new one, but here you go: The Earth has a fever. Think about it, what do human bodies do when infected by a destructive, malicious, and mindless threat? They burn it the f*** up. Earth, as a whole, may well realize that as the only confirmed living planet it has a duty to preserve life by destroying the biggest threat to it. Eh, even if it's BS, it's fun to think. ))

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: February 12, 2015, 01:31:26 pm »

Well in that case you're fine! I often find people just need reminding, if you actually have, say, real life in the way then then priority is obvious!
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: February 12, 2015, 02:27:59 pm »

Well in that case you're fine! I often find people just need reminding, if you actually have, say, real life in the way then then priority is obvious!
Oh, no. I need those too. :3 Side-effects to being busy or asleep a lot is that I am very forgetful. If you don't hear from me in like... 3 days, I probably need a reminder or I've gone on vacation.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: February 12, 2015, 11:06:04 pm »

(( Completely unrelated, but I have another interpretation of Global Warming. It's not a new one, but here you go: The Earth has a fever. Think about it, what do human bodies do when infected by a destructive, malicious, and mindless threat? They burn it the f*** up. Earth, as a whole, may well realize that as the only confirmed living planet it has a duty to preserve life by destroying the biggest threat to it. Eh, even if it's BS, it's fun to think. ))

I like this interpretation. Anything that involves celestial sentience is something I support.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: February 12, 2015, 11:50:44 pm »

Honestly, I kinda like that idea too. Actually, I had a similar thought about shit like HIV/AIDS. I mean, an extremely contagious, unavoidably lethal virus that exploits your own immune system to kill you? Sounds like a species killswitch to me.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: February 13, 2015, 08:49:53 am »

I like this interpretation. Anything that involves celestial sentience is something I support.
Yes. It wouldn't even have to necessarially involve Earth being sentient, it could just be combined natural instinct. ( Though as a supporter of Intelligent Design, I prefer the idea of celestial sentience too. )

Honestly, I kinda like that idea too. Actually, I had a similar thought about shit like HIV/AIDS. I mean, an extremely contagious, unavoidably lethal virus that exploits your own immune system to kill you? Sounds like a species killswitch to me.
That it's spread by bodily fluid transfer does give a bit of credence to the notions of the crazy religious fanatics... Though the thought that it's a specific punishment exclusively for one group is where I draw the line and call bullshit. Mm. It's more of a general warning, albeit more drastic than all of the ones we've ignored thusfar since the epoch of the "Age of Reason". ( Which I've always found to be a weird epithet. Reading any historical work by an intellectual shows that we've, if anything, become more unreasonable. Perhaps we are more "tolerant" and even knowledgeable these days, but not more reasonable. )

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: February 13, 2015, 09:53:47 am »

Yes. It wouldn't even have to necessarially involve Earth being sentient, it could just be combined natural instinct. ( Though as a supporter of Intelligent Design, I prefer the idea of celestial sentience too. )

Well, if I were to make a comparison between sentiences and computer languages... Particularly hierarchy of level. Us young mortal creatures, we are relatively quite far removed from the essence of the Universe itself ((although then you factor in astral projection... don't get me started on that)) and we can only really comprehend our own sentience, and perhaps "sentiences" we create, and maybe the sentiences of other creatures. But planets would be a lower level, closer to the Universe's essence, and possess a kind of sentience incomprehensible to us, and stars perhaps at a lower level. Then you move to larger scales of nebulae ((my first thoughts on celestial sentience were nebula-based)) and galaxies, then clusters and superclusters, while also ((or alternatively)) moving to smaller scales of molecules and atoms -- the assembly code and binary trinary digits of our Universe.

Also, I'd really like to see how something like THIS ticks, if indeed celestial sentience is true. To be entirely honest, if we're searching for deities I say we look there.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: February 13, 2015, 10:20:50 am »

Well, if I were to make a comparison between sentiences and computer languages... Particularly hierarchy of level. Us young mortal creatures, we are relatively quite far removed from the essence of the Universe itself ((although then you factor in astral projection... don't get me started on that)) and we can only really comprehend our own sentience, and perhaps "sentiences" we create, and maybe the sentiences of other creatures. But planets would be a lower level, closer to the Universe's essence, and possess a kind of sentience incomprehensible to us, and stars perhaps at a lower level. Then you move to larger scales of nebulae ((my first thoughts on celestial sentience were nebula-based)) and galaxies, then clusters and superclusters, while also ((or alternatively)) moving to smaller scales of molecules and atoms -- the assembly code and binary trinary digits of our Universe.

Also, I'd really like to see how something like THIS ticks, if indeed celestial sentience is true. To be entirely honest, if we're searching for deities I say we look there.
Yeah, I suppose... There's always the notion that the universe runs on a higher level but I guess past a certain point human reasoning fails and any argument over descriptors becomes mere semantics. (( As per astral projection, I don't think human methods of it, ie the ones reported and purported by various "paranormal investigators", are legitimate/real/true/whatever term you want to use for the opposite of a lie. Do I think it's possible? Well, that heavily depends on what we're referring to as astral projection. To me, that implies a "ventriloquism of conscious" in which one is able to displace one's consciousness from their body without doing so completely (ie without dying/leaving behind a brain-dead body) and then, do the even more improbable tasks of manifesting that consciousness in any form tangible or ethereal and being able to perceive things from said form. I simply think it's out of the realm of human ability, especially these days. If it existed prior in history, I cannot with any certainty confirm or deny, but I can say that no recent (past 4 centuries or so) account seems to stand up to scrutiny or else simply lacks evidence.))

Meh. There's nothing so far that, to my comprehension, explicitly suggests that the Creator/Designer of the Universe exists within it. ( Personally, I feel that it's the opposite... but there's multiple fields of study and multiple viewpoints, likely as not we're not gonna know. To elaborate, because I feel I should though, I think the universe exists within the imaginative consciousness of an intelligent and creative being who may or may not be all that ever exists, and that God as we think of him is simply his manifestation within his consciousness, for the purpose of communication/direct interaction with his creations. I can't argue this, don't have the idea fully figured out, and don't expect much agreement. Whether God is the demiurge, the chaos, both, or neither ( or something that doesn't fit in or is some combination of all the prior options) is all a mystery to me, but ultimately, from my perspective, it doesn't matter because all would result in no observable difference in the universe as it is. )

However, there could be a whole bunch of fascinating stuff that would make scientists explode from the sheer amount of GLORIOUS DATA. ( As an additional note, this XKCD comic, which quite adequately makes my next point: http://xkcd.com/638/ Even if we were to find evidence of God, we might not perceive that we had, and barring evidence in the ways we expect, many stop searching. And here's where I go back to theist ideology: I think that any interaction between man and God is at his discretion and it is up to his will whether or not we can understand it. I think he has, very many times, communicated with mankind - or various members thereof- in ways we do understand and we can only take on faith what we know. That's with all knowledge though and still no reason to stop trying to find things out, but you know that don't you? :p )

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: February 13, 2015, 12:12:06 pm »

-snip-

Well, on the astral projection front, I believe that I have successfully performed the feat once ((with divine aid)) in the common sense, and maybe several other times in another sense ((a transposition of a single consciousness between two soulbound bodies)), but I have no hard evidence to support my claim, so take it as you will. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the deity front... Your belief that the Universe is manifested inside a divine consciousness is certainly an interesting one; is that not what mortal writers do? It's certainly a fresh look, especially compared to my own belief that the Universe is tended externally, by not one, nor even a few, not even HUNDREDS, but OVER SEVENTEEN THOUSAND divine figures, most of which do not appear in Earthen mythology and/or religious media, be it text or otherwise. I also believe that two of them maintain semi-regular contact with me through their avatar's manifestation inside my headspace/soulspace, but again, no hard evidence. I still sometimes think that they're mere delusions, but judging by how lucidly I acknowledge both them and my other headmates, as well as my psychologist's reactions to my accounts, I doubt they are mere delusions.

Also, that last sentence of yours... What exactly did you mean by that? It's very late here, so it may be my own folly at misunderstanding it, but still '^^

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: February 13, 2015, 12:47:55 pm »

-snip-

Well, on the astral projection front, I believe that I have successfully performed the feat once ((with divine aid)) in the common sense, and maybe several other times in another sense ((a transposition of a single consciousness between two soulbound bodies)), but I have no hard evidence to support my claim, so take it as you will. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the deity front... Your belief that the Universe is manifested inside a divine consciousness is certainly an interesting one; is that not what mortal writers do? It's certainly a fresh look, especially compared to my own belief that the Universe is tended externally, by not one, nor even a few, not even HUNDREDS, but OVER SEVENTEEN THOUSAND divine figures, most of which do not appear in Earthen mythology and/or religious media, be it text or otherwise. I also believe that two of them maintain semi-regular contact with me through their avatar's manifestation inside my headspace/soulspace, but again, no hard evidence. I still sometimes think that they're mere delusions, but judging by how lucidly I acknowledge both them and my other headmates, as well as my psychologist's reactions to my accounts, I doubt they are mere delusions.

Also, that last sentence of yours... What exactly did you mean by that? It's very late here, so it may be my own folly at misunderstanding it, but still '^^

Sadly probably delusions. * pats * Just in case though, be wary not to accept everything they say without some serious consideration. ( Especially considering that which masquerades as deific could well be demonic. ) As per sharing "soulspace", that's not possible, I think you're misunderstanding what a soul is. It's not the same as a conscious or a spirit, it's more analogous to the "source code" of a being's spirit, which can be packed and unpacked by will of those who have that kind of permission. Or another interpretation is that it's something that's developed over time in any cognizant being, but I don't really hold much to that. Either way, it's distinct from the conscious and subconscious "headspaces", though it can influence them. As per your spirit, while I think it can commune with things and supersedes basic consciousness, it still can't really be shared in the sense you say. Moreover, I still find it highly dubious that you have successfully performed astral projection, especially in light of a real or delusional contact with extraterrestrial beings. (( Though you did say "with divine aid", so it's possible. Visions, I think, are distinct from astral projection though, so if you had one of those, it wouldn't count. A vision is more like a spiritual space that conscious and spirit can be brought to temporarily and presented things in allegorical form, the interpretations of which you may then fail to properly ascertain when later recounting it. ( There is also the matter of determining who initiated the vision, which is important. ) Also, like dreams and memories, these visions can later be actively corrupted by your cognitive functions, possibly with no way to stop that. )) That you say that the universe is tended externally by these divine figures, I doubt. I think these maintainers are not so much divine as aligned with divinity and act as agents within the universe on the behalf of the creator. I also think that they're under strict orders not to intervene with the affairs of conscious and physical beings beyond what their job requires, with exception only by explicit order and that any who break this are treated as if they had broken taboo. Possibly with the ostracism involved, and most likely with severe punishment. Compare the concepts of angels and fallen angels and that's basically what I think, except only slightly more complex and that they ( the ones who still follow ) actively guard against "exceptions" in the execution of the universe. i.e. microscopic or macroscopic events that could destroy cognizant lives before their appointed times by some unusual scenario of physics, probably in a realm beyond even our comprehension of quantum physics and cosmology. ) ( As an additional note: I can't recall for certain, but I think that "angel" has a specific meaning and only refers to one class of these beings, which... if I'm remembering right is the messengers. I... * shrug * It's beyond me to say for sure on much. But with that in mind, no all of these beings wouldn't be angels, but that term has kinda come to refer to them all, and that's the context I'm using it in. )

Which? The very last? All knowledge must be taken on faith, that's pretty straight forward. Even "proofs" can be disproven, right? That humans have to take knowledge on faith isn't a call to eschew knowledge as "uncertain" or "inexact", as much as it is motivation to put trust in some higher power than ourselves.

Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 272