Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Would someone mind explaining the release Toady is working on?  (Read 4438 times)

tomtherat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Would someone mind explaining the release Toady is working on?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 03:08:16 pm »

Man, I got my fingers crossed we'll get the chance to do some diplomacy with the ever changing world.  Maybe "lending" squads of warriors to nearby civilizations for wars (in exchange for goods or something) or being informed of local goblin problems and then sending some troops to shut them down.  Would be so damned cool.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 09:38:58 am »

Aren't siegers supposed to tunnel in the next update?
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 10:20:09 am »

The next update will fill in the worldgen sites for everyone. This means you will be able to find and explore worldgen mountain fortresses (dwarves), dark fortresses (goblin), forest retreats (elves), and inhabited caves (kobolds), along with other settlements. I've included the site names rather than attaching "vanilla" race names to them because you can mod in new races to use those.

Armies will move around the world map now (I think) and you'll have army camps to explore in adventure mode (I am certain of this). Sneaking has been implemented. You'll have some hero roles to play as the adventurer, and I think we can have non-lethal fights now, which may improve tantrum spirals considerably in dwarf fortress mode with extra violence.

We have multi-tile trees (both above and underground) as a result of the new elf sites, and climbing has been implemented.

You'll also have succession in play. This means if individuals holding positions in a civilisation die, they will get replaced even if they're not the diplomat or outpost liason, so you will get a new monarch, goblins will find new leaders, etc. Worldgen demons may be able to take over civilisations whilst your fortress is running. I hope this update will also fix the bug with the outpost liason being replaced after leaving your map, and make grass on mountains regrow properly.

Its planned, but will probably be an init option so you can switch it off. I don't think its going to happen for this release, as we're about to hit the wrap-up stage to check the new features that have been added.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 06:08:05 pm »

No. It was talked about, but IIRC they didn't decide to put it into this next update.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 06:36:04 pm »

Weird. I haven't noticed that the world revolves around the player and just stops time completely. Because the world is ever-evolving, i'm going to try to take it to the point where everybody kills each other and I rule the world.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 11:50:00 am »

No. It was talked about, but IIRC they didn't decide to put it into this next update.

Call me stupid, but I've forgotten by IIRC is an acronym for. What does it stand for?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 11:58:04 am »

Call me stupid, but I've forgotten by IIRC is an acronym for. What does it stand for?

If I Remember Correctly
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 12:06:07 pm »

If I Remember Correctly

Ah, yes. Thank you.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 09:56:50 pm »

Weird. I haven't noticed that the world revolves around the player and just stops time completely. Because the world is ever-evolving, i'm going to try to take it to the point where everybody kills each other and I rule the world.
I'd rather rule a world where there are still people. Otherwise you're just King of what, dirt? Rocks? A few trees?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 10:15:06 pm »

I would like it if we can request reinforcements from the Mountainhome, and have multi-racial migrants.   
Pages: 1 [2]